Can I Ask a Question?

Options
jjscholar
jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
My question for everyone reading this thread is simply do you think it is weird for me to say that Zumba and other types of cardio dance are my favorite forms of exercise?

One of the reasons why I do Zumba, and hip-hop dance is that I cannot do contact sports since I have an implantable cardioverter defibrillator... Another reason is that I feel much more comfortable working out with women because I do not like to deal with other males... I feel like I have to be prepared to get into a physical fight in a male dominated environment... In addition, I love dance...

Sometimes, I get very weird looks from people who are not in my Zumba or hip-hop dance classes... Not as much in my hip-hop dance classes since I am the only guy there... I think that this is very true in the part of the country where I live.

Can't they realize that I like to date women as much as any other ordinary guy... Besides, women are attractive while males are not...

I am tired of having to explain myself to a bunch of idiots...

Thank you in advance for reading this thread.

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    It's not weird. If you enjoy it, do it.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No! That's great that you have something that you enjoy doing. Forget about everyone else and have fun.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Do what you love! It must be really frustrating to justify yourself though - it's not of their business.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Can I tell you a lie?
  • lisaann7089
    Options
    Do what makes you happy! What matters is what makes you feel good - not what others think should make you feel good. Stick with it and enjoy life the way YOU want to enjoy it! Forget about everyone else.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my thread from the other day...
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is odd you like zumba and dancing. If exercise is what you want and is what you are getting than that is success!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thx for your thread!!! Yes, I love Zumba!! I love it so much that in Spring 2011 I became a Zumba Fitness instructor. I teach between 5-8 classes a week, (Zumba, Aqua Zumba, Zumbatomic, Zumba Gold and Zumba Toning). It has seriously changed my life, and its refreshing to see a guy posting about this! :)

People have no clue exactly how good dancing is for you, both with cardio as well as with increased flexibility and balance. I have a basketball player who rocks it out with me a couple times a week, before his game and he has told me it has really improved his game.

When it comes to fitness, do what you love, and you will do it great. I also cross train, including weight training, which I don't love but its important not only for weight loss, strength training, but the older we get, the more bone mass we lose, and weight training helps build it, not just muscle.

Keep rocking that party!!! :) Always welcome to any of my classes if you are ever in New Mexico!
  • cbsmith14
    cbsmith14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have to add that I LOVE the rare occation when I see men in my Zumba class- it adds to the light-hearted shut up and dance additude of it all. I think, if this guy can have no shame in dancing, then I (as a 29 year old girl) should zumba with wteckless abandon.

Go out and shake it! It's all in the name of good fun and good heath.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is odd at all. Finding a fun form of exercise is important - so stick with what you like! If you stay towards the front of the class, women will be less likely to think you are their to leer at their backsides. It is not fair but there are enough jerks out there that some times we think the worst of everyone.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think it is weird.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My Dad is 82 years old and he joined an all ladies fitness group,,,,,,the ladies love him! If you like doing Zumba then I would not explain yourself to anyone.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Since other folks are adverse to the phrase I thought of using, I'll just say, "Whatever tickles your belly button."

Doesn't matter much what anybody else thinks. If you enjoy it and it burns calories, all the power to you!
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    Do what YOU want to do and don't bother explaining yourself to small minded idiots who don't want to hear the truth anyway.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Great that you enjoy zumba - keep it up! Congrats on your success and good luck with your goals!!!! :happy:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You are moving, and you enjoy it. Honestly who cares what other people think or say?
  • vickij2
    Options
    Do what you like. If you don't, you won't stick with it. The heck with what other people think!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you found exercise you like. That is the KEY. Good for you!
  • troy0
    troy0 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think its wierd that you feel like you have to be prepared to get into a physical fight in a male dominated environment. Maybe you just need to find a new bunch of males to hang around with.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My friend's 20 year old son goes to her Jazzercise class on occasion - he's all guy and a college athlete, but that kid can dance like nobody's business and he loves to do it. I think it's great and the women in the class go crazy over him. Do what you love and ignore the judgmental idiots.