1200 calories a day.

Options

Replies

• fresh_breath
    Options
    I tried 1200 per day, but would always go over. So, i upped it to 1400 and have been much better in achieving it whilst still losing weight. This way I don't feel I miss out on anything and the goal is more realistic and you feel good that you're consistently meeting it.

I agree that it is about marking smarter choices and I'm nowhere near as hungry now as I was when I started. For the sake of 200 calories, I think it was a good move!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    mine is 1250!!! i need help too....the past 2 days havent been too bad so yay for me!!! lol i'll addya
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I bounce back and forth setting MFP to lose 1.5-2 pounds per week. So I hover around 1200 (which is my 2pound loss/wk according to MFP) and 1460, and only sometimes eat back exercise calories. I log everything and log in daily, open diary for friends, feel free to add me.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 calorie diet for a long time. I have finally come to realize that it is not healthy. Not only are you eating below BMR (your body needs a certain amount of calories to function, why would you want to give it less?), but I found it impossible to eat enough protein. If you don't eat enough protein (you can't go by the mfp settings for protein), you will lose muscle along with fat.

I also found that I had a hard time eating enough fiber too. Basically, there were not enough calories available for me to make a well rounded diet (which in my opinion includes 2 pieces of fruit, 2-3 servings whole grains, enough protein, and 25 grams of fiber).

I often found that my weekends were full of splurges because I felt deprived. Those splurges add up and will prevent you from reaching goal.

So --- a few months ago I increased my calories. I now eat roughly 1700 calories. My scale isn't moving much, but I have lost about 2% in body fat.

I will never go back to 1200 calories......
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have just joined and am on 1200 cals per day, and my diary is open. Would love to have some friends who are on the same, I have never calorie counted before and it is pretty daunting! I have 31 kilos to lose minimum.
  • Krane925
    Krane925 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie allowance is probably due to having too aggressive of a weekly weight loss goal.
    Try setting your goal to lose 1 pound a week, that changes your daily allowance to 1700, which is much more realistic.
  • ABetterMeForHIM
    Options
    hey feel free to add me to.
    I am at 1200 as well. I do have my days wen i do get enuff or a go a lil overboard but im pretty consistent.
    Lets lose it together :)
    to the ladies (and gents) below feel free to add me as well!
    its easier if we do it together!

sarah.naomi xo
  • cindy4361
    Options
    Hello!! My calorie intake is just a little more thank 1200. You are welcome to look at my diary! Good luck !!!
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    MFP has me eating 1320 calories per day. I chose to only lose 1 pound a week, because losing 2 pounds a week is impractical with MFP. It won't let you eat anything less than 1200 calories, so you end up only losing 1.2 pounds per week instead of the whole 2 pounds. I do fine with it. Especially when I exercise. The more you exercise, the more you get to eat essentially. It's working for me so far!
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    1200 calorie allowance is probably due to having too aggressive of a weekly weight loss goal.
    Try setting your goal to lose 1 pound a week, that changes your daily allowance to 1700, which is much more realistic.

That's not true for everyone. My goal is set to lose 1 lb per week and MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories. I hardly ever lose 1 lb a week on that amount, usually it's less than that.
  • dizzyrimram
    Options
    i'd love your support. Can I add you. thanks
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    im at 1145 to make sure i loose 1 lb every week and its working i dont care what ppl have to say i've dont the math and its accurate
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 since May and have lost 23lbs. Generally eat back my exercise calories. I have just upped it to 1300 to see what happens. I am 52 and in Australia and log in every day.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I was doing pretty good with it, even having a hard time reaching it because I wasn't hungry and didn't want to force myself to eat, but over the last week I noticed I was getting hungry at times that I didn't normally get hungry, so I increased it to 1300. My diary is only open to my friends, but I'm not picky about who I friend, so you're welcome to friend me to check out my diary.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, my BMR is at 1263 and especially now that I'm injured and limited on working out and getting around, I've been been trying to keep it within the 1200-1400 range. It's possible to do without getting hungry, it's a matter of eating smarter, not just calorie counting.
  • vicki81868
    vicki81868 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200-ish and my diary is public. Feel free to add me.

As you can see, some people have pretty strong feelings about 1200/calorie diets. But after 60 pounds lost, and going from zero exercise to now running 20 miles a week and regular strength training at the gym, I beg to differ. I'm in the best shape of my life, and still losing.

Having said that though, you may want to play around with the percentages MFP sets for your carbs/protein/fats. I've adjusted mine to 35/35/30 and found it much easier to follow that way. Though I don't eat the bulk of my exercise calories back, I do take advantage of the extra servings they give me for carbs/protein/fats.
  • keemakitty
    Options
    I am. I just signed up today. The site is pretty cool. My boyfriend told me that he thought I was not eating enough food. My personalized stats confirmed it. I like the idea of logging what I am consuming and having the site do all of the calculations. "Easy" makes for fewer mistakes, excuses and less of an opportunity to be lazy and risk falling behind. I am looking for local workout partners. Please see my profile.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm actually referring to the BMR calculator, not what my goal weight is and how much I want to lose. Granted, it's just a guide, not a guarantee factor in losing weight, but it's a good point to start in knowing what your body needs at the current weight you are to just get through the day. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Eating below your BMR is very unhealthy and setting yourself up for failure.

I eat below my BMR per my doctor and I have lost 37lbs since July and I'm never hungry. You have to find out what works for you.

I also agree with changing the MFP-set goals to something with higher protein and less carbs. You can do this by going to My Home - Goals - Change Goals - Custom. I
  • KimiMills
    KimiMills Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well, I try and get close to the 1200 but I am usually happy just to be under 1500