Are all these food allergies real?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    We were having this same conversation the other day at work. My sister is allergic to peanuts, so much so that she only has to smell them on your breath and her throat starts to close over. I recently found out I am allergic to milk. I spent years thinking I was lactose intolerant but I was wrong.

What struck me as interesting about this is I asked my mother about when I was a baby and she replied that they had a terrible time with me, they tried to feed me all kinds of different formulas and milks but I was in constant pain, they called it colic. I think back then they just didn't consider allergies something to look into. Fussy babies didn’t have allergies or reflux, they had colic. I spent years feeling like a hypochondriac because of all the problems I was having, heart palpitations, headaches, sinus issues, rashes, reflux, joint pain, cough....ah the list goes on. It all came down to some allergy tests to determine that I am allergic to milk. Since I stopped consuming any dairy I feel like a new person.

But as you have said I have seen so many people give up gluten or dairy just because they have read something online and thought it would make them feel better, or lose weight. To truly find out if you have an allergy it requires testing and medical assistance, not some on line diagnosis. Especially with all those celebrity diet fads out there that people want to just jump on the bus with. There are also a lot of intolerances and sensitivities out there, once again you should be seeking medical advice before making those determinations on your own. People forget that the internet is full of misinformation and you cannot just diagnose yourself.

So it really is hard to say if it is a matter of better education medically on allergies than has been in the past, additives in foods, or just people self-diagnosing that have created this increase in allergies and sensitivities.

Not to start the fad diet debate but this was very well written. There are herds of sheepish idiots giving up gluten to lose weight. Those are the people that make OP, (and restaurants, doctors, and dietitians) stop taking medical issues seriously.

Who said I don't take medical conditions seriously? You need to chill out big time.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I decided against typing what I originally wrote. It was quite rude and probably would have been reported. The overly censored version is:

You probably shouldn't reject and insult an intolerance/allergy that you don't understand or are too ignorant to research. Perhaps some education into the physical effects of gluten intolerance and the autoimmune extreme, Celiac Disease, will lower your sense of superiority and provide you with a better understanding than anecdotal evidence.

My point is to educate yourself before you *kitten* on people.

^ YES!!! :flowerforyou:

There is a difference between intolerance and allergy and I do think people get that mixed up. However, to question what someone has figured out in their own body is ridiculous.

People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them after 2 years I finally figured out my body does not like wheat. Then I get the scoffs...like I really wanted to give up beer?? :sad: and bread and pastas...all of the things I enjoy.

No, it's not ridiculous. People often thing correlation is causation. And, it's not. Just because you THINK you are gluten intolerant, or allergic, or whatever, because some ailment you had goes away, doesn't mean you actually are gluten intolerant. It might be something else. It's like saying, eveytime I eat greenbeans, I get a cold. It just so happens that that has happened. It doesn't however mean that the greenbeans are causing the cold.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is awful. The farmers around here don't even want to deal with the big M that tries to promote their company as such a family loving, environementally friendly, gag, gag, gag.............

The billboards around here make me sick.
    I bet. I'm still bitter because I found out one of my county's locally based "organic" food companies pumped $500,000 into suppressing GMO food labeling. It's so frustrating because I just want information that should be available BY DEFAULT.

Oh yes. I know Whole Foods backed up Monsanto a whole lot in this mess.

I have also heard from others that live in California that it is possible that there was ballot tampering and that the measure might have actually passed.

I was praying for rop 37 to pass in California as a first so that it would spark and unite other states to join in also.

Of course Missouri would want no parts of it because they are big Monsanto lovers around these here parts.

This is not true. I work for Whole Foods and I know they've been fighting for YEARS to have labeling in GMO foods. They have been the biggest backer of the Non-GMO Project since it's inception! We all wanted Prop 37 to pass as well. It was a company wide initiative. They got a bad rap because people pointed out that many of our foods have GMOs, but that is simply unfair because many of EVERYONE'S food in the US has GMOs. Nearly 80% of the food chain supply in the US has GMOs. That's the problem with Monsanto and others getting away with not labeling, plus there is the issue of cross-pollination and drift which makes it virtually impossible to avoid all GMOs. Trust me, everyone in this company wants GMO labeling. We have said this from the very beginning. Our message on this issue has never changed, we just got a whole bunch of bad press which marked us as somehow being different from every other natural retailer (and indeed every conventional retailer as well), but EVERY natural retailer has this problem. Whole Foods was targeted simply because it is the biggest. Do not for a second think that your natural retailer is any different just because it isn't Whole Foods. Every single part of the food chain is poisoned by Monsanto. They need to be stopped!

Yeah, actually in Missouri, we have fought Monsanto twice. The most recent time, Anheuser-Busch put a bunch of money in to fight it. (They grow their own hops here in Missouri.)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I decided against typing what I originally wrote. It was quite rude and probably would have been reported. The overly censored version is:

You probably shouldn't reject and insult an intolerance/allergy that you don't understand or are too ignorant to research. Perhaps some education into the physical effects of gluten intolerance and the autoimmune extreme, Celiac Disease, will lower your sense of superiority and provide you with a better understanding than anecdotal evidence.

There is a difference between intolerance and allergy and I do think people get that mixed up. However, to question what someone has figured out in their own body is ridiculous.

People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them after 2 years I finally figured out my body does not like wheat. Then I get the scoffs...like I really wanted to give up beer?? :sad: and bread and pastas...all of the things I enjoy.

No, it's not ridiculous. People often thing correlation is causation. And, it's not. Just because you THINK you are gluten intolerant, or allergic, or whatever, because some ailment you had goes away, doesn't mean you actually are gluten intolerant. It might be something else. It's like saying, eveytime I eat greenbeans, I get a cold. It just so happens that that has happened. It doesn't however mean that the greenbeans are causing the cold.

When I eat bread my stomach hurts. When I don't eat bread my stomach never hurts. Therefore - bread is causing the pain.

It really IS that simple. A food elimination diet and careful diary keeping CAN help diagnose intolerances and allergies. True fact, yo.

You're blowing things out of proportion by comparing this to having a cold. You're effectively trying to dismiss anyone who has experienced these things. But you haven't lived it. You haven't taken the time to properly study it. You're clearly talking out of your *kitten*, so no offense but shut your pie hole.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

I would say after 2 solid years of feeling like absolute crap and many doctor visits later with no answers...then me cutting out gluten and instantly feeling better and now when I "slip up" instantly feeling crappy again is a bit more than coincidence. But it is fine that you don't understand it. You aren't in my body. You aren't having to digest what I decide to consume so it does not effect you whatsoever. I know how I feel and like I said, I would not choose to give up these foods if it didn't make me feel better.

Same thing with my daughter and the High Fructose Corn syrup. Her ADD symptoms happening every single time she consumes it is a little bit more than coincidence.

Sure some people cut it out as a 'diet' or 'craze' but it could also be that people getting answers and finally figuring out their issues is helping other people. That is what helped me. I never even considered it until hearing other people's struggles.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

When I eat bread my stomach hurts. When I don't eat bread my stomach never hurts. Therefore - bread is causing the pain.

It really IS that simple. A food elimination diet and careful diary keeping CAN help diagnose intolerances and allergies. True fact, yo.

You're blowing things out of proportion by comparing this to having a cold. You're effectively trying to dismiss anyone who has experienced these things. But you haven't lived it. You haven't taken the time to properly study it. You're clearly talking out of your *kitten*, so no offense but shut your pie hole.

Perfect. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    We were having this same conversation the other day at work. My sister is allergic to peanuts, so much so that she only has to smell them on your breath and her throat starts to close over. I recently found out I am allergic to milk. I spent years thinking I was lactose intolerant but I was wrong.

What struck me as interesting about this is I asked my mother about when I was a baby and she replied that they had a terrible time with me, they tried to feed me all kinds of different formulas and milks but I was in constant pain, they called it colic. I think back then they just didn't consider allergies something to look into. Fussy babies didn’t have allergies or reflux, they had colic. I spent years feeling like a hypochondriac because of all the problems I was having, heart palpitations, headaches, sinus issues, rashes, reflux, joint pain, cough....ah the list goes on. It all came down to some allergy tests to determine that I am allergic to milk. Since I stopped consuming any dairy I feel like a new person.

But as you have said I have seen so many people give up gluten or dairy just because they have read something online and thought it would make them feel better, or lose weight. To truly find out if you have an allergy it requires testing and medical assistance, not some on line diagnosis. Especially with all those celebrity diet fads out there that people want to just jump on the bus with. There are also a lot of intolerances and sensitivities out there, once again you should be seeking medical advice before making those determinations on your own. People forget that the internet is full of misinformation and you cannot just diagnose yourself.

So it really is hard to say if it is a matter of better education medically on allergies than has been in the past, additives in foods, or just people self-diagnosing that have created this increase in allergies and sensitivities.

Not to start the fad diet debate but this was very well written. There are herds of sheepish idiots giving up gluten to lose weight. Those are the people that make OP, (and restaurants, doctors, and dietitians) stop taking medical issues seriously.

Who said I don't take medical conditions seriously? You need to chill out big time.

Am I mistaken in that you are calling reactions to food "fake" if you've never had them? I'm not sure what I need to chill out about, I'm not the one having a public hissy fit regarding other people's food choices. You may not want to believe in the severe undernourishment, gastro-intestinal distress, and neurological reactions stemming from the ingestion of a product considered foreign to the body. That is irrelevant in comparison to the scientific and medical study that has proven it's existence. You claim that the anecdotes you hear aren't proof, yet you say that your remembered lack of allergic concern as a child is enough to discount recently diagnosed reactions? How is your faded anecdote any more scientific?

You came here asking "are all these food allergies real?" though it seems you had already decided that they were not. You may be the first person in this world upon which I have ever wished the pain and suffering of Celiac Disease. Perhaps if you'd ever spent several years suffering with no perceivable reason before finding a medical reason for your distress, you would take the time to understand something before dismissing it in the future.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Perfect. Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Another :flowerforyou: for pen
  • kimkimwu3
    kimkimwu3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work in an allergy clinic and I can tell you these food allergies are real. Just as real as people with allergies to pollen and such. Although people do get allergy/ sensitivity/ and intolerances mixed up often, they are not the same thing and have different immune response and immunoglobulins that react with allergies(IgE) or sensitivities(IgG). Also celiac's disease is an autoimmune disease and is different from someone being gluten intolerant.

But i assure you, all of them are not good for your body and they are real. Whether its an allergy where it can be life-threatening or a sensitivity that just makes the person feel bad, just as an anaphylaxtic reaction is bad, long term exposure to a sensitivity can start to destroy the lining of the intestine and can lead overtime to bigger health problems.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "It actually used to be that whenever kids got sick they gave antibiotics, and now we have antibiotic resistant bacteria. But, now we never take antibiotics and we all recover and survive without them (except for when we get strep throat or something). People tend to romanticize the past a lot. But, my kids play outside in the dirt with sticks and we don't have video games and what-not."

Antibiotics have saved a number of lives (including my own) but they have caused a LOT of health problems too. It is even questionable to take them for something like strep. My daughter had chronic strep throat as a child and was constantly on and off antibiotics. Finally, we got her to a specialist who said that he had had a lot of success in fighting chronic strep in children, with just the simple step of taking the child off of cow's milk. We did that and she has not had a strep infection since.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I eat tree nuts or mangos, within seconds I start to break out in hives, which are big red, swollen welts and they will get as big as quarters and then get so big they start to meld together into one big giant blob all over my body. Then I take antihistamines and after about 30 to 45 minutes they will start to go away. I made an appointment to get an allergy test, but have to wait for my appointment. While waiting I am not eating tree nuts or mangos (it would be illogical and stupid to do that). A couple times I forgot and it happened again. I do think it is possible that it could be a bizarre coincidence that somehow only happened when I ate tree nuts (it happened when I ate almonds, then walnuts, then mangos which I found out after the fact are related to cashews). Sometimes extreme stress can cause people to break out in hives as if they are having an allergic reaction and I do have ptsd (from a very severe and serious crime) and the hives were happening during a time when I was preparing for an aspect of the legal process which was causing a relapse of the ptsd (bodies are weird, they do weird things sometimes, you can ask your doctor about that). But, in my family there is a genetic history of extreme allergies and a lot of my family members (including my twin) have nut allergies (they also break out in hives and have tested positive), as well as other allergies and have to carry epi-pens (because some are of the serious variety) and they have to go to the doctor daily for medical treatments for the health problems they have (allergies can sometimes be related to other serious medical conditions and can be related also to the body's inability to metabolize certain foods). If the allergy test comes up negative I will be happy to try eating tree nuts again. Until then, I'd rather just wait.

Also I was eating whey protein for a while and I loved the flavor. It was one of my favorite foods. Then one day I ate it and I threw up. So, I returned it and told them it had gone rancid. I got another one and again it caused me to throw up. So, I returned it and tried another and it caused me to throw up. I don't really care to try again. There are a million other ways to get protein and it causes no one any inconvenience if I do not purchase whey protein. It would be absurd to eat something that causes me to throw up, whatever the reason is. I figure it's some kind of intolerance because if you throw up obviously you are not tolerating it, you are rejecting it. At 100 pounds I can not afford to eat things that result in vomiting and financially I can't afford that either. And it's unpleasant.

I really don't understand what your issue is or what anyone else's issue with this is. If you want to learn about it, you would have a lot better education by actually taking the time to read from some reputable sources.
  • helenta77
    helenta77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No one in my family or husbands family is allergic to anything, yet my son is anaphilactic to walnut, pinenut, shellfish and raw egg. He also has dustmite alergy and hayfever. At first i didnt want to accept it but when he accidently ate just a drop of raw egg we ended up in hospital, his face had all swelled up and he was unrecognisable, i knew it was serious. My daughter has nothing. The only thing different i did was with my son i followed the rules of what i wasnt suppored to eat while pregnant. No soft boiled egg, no prawns, no deli meat, no unpasturized etc, and with my daughter i just ate everything. Who knows why it happens, but it is real.
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As far as the "gluten free fad" goes, there are a LOT more people than you think who are intolerant to it, in some way or another. My husband's stomach bloats up when he eats gluten. My intestines have a hissy fit and you can literally hear my stomach and digestive system having war when I eat gluten. I am nauseous for days and cannot leave my house because I am so sick. In my head? Real? Just telling you my experience, although I'm sure many ppl here will just write it off as being all "in my head". Yes, I am self-diagnosed. No, I do not need my doctor to tell me I have a problem digesting gluten. I'm a smart cookie :) The second I went gluten free, all my symptoms disappeared. I've experimented with going back on it several times over the past few years in hopes that it *wasn't* real. Unfortunately, it is.

Be careful about judging others when you haven't walked a single minute in their shoes...
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My oldest son appears to be allergic to something, but we can't figure out what! Tests negative to everything, but gets covered in a full body rash frequently.

I can completely sympathize with you on this one. I've had skin allergies since I was in elementary school - basically covered in rashes head to toe and it took testing to discover I was allergic to just about anything that's a plant and also highly allergic to certain grains like wheat (which I was told is an untreatable allergy in my case which is why I'm totally gluten free now).

Here's something to consider: I'm very allergic to detergents. I use a detergent by Biokleen that's made from Grapefruit and also use a softener they sell at Whole Foods that's completely hypoallergenic with no perfumes. You may need to look at shampoos, soaps for clothing, anything that comes in contact with his skin. He literally may be going crazy from a contact allergy. I was having the same issue to a previous detergent until I switched because their new whitener made it NOT hypoallergenic as they claimed. I also have to be careful of Shampoos and Conditioners. I'm allergic to petroleum products. I use Aubrey's line and so far they seem to work well for me.

Monica

P.S. Has he been tested for Candida in the blood stream? If no, get the doctor to run that test. I had one year where the docs couldn't figure out what was causing my rashes and my dad had them do a test and it turned out the candida in my bloodstream was WAY out of control and it was actually causing the rashes.
  • jflint86
    Options
    I have to agree with Natasha. Why does it matter if I have discovered that when I eat red meat I have horrible intestinal pain therefore, I stop eating it. Its an intolerance to red meat. Its my body and I feel better if I don't put red meat in it. Simple as that. Would you continue to eat something that made you feel crappy? Isn't this site about getting healthy and losing weight? Finding what works best for you? If gluten makes you swell and retain water then that is YOUR problem to deal with. If cutting out gluten makes you feel better, I say go for it. If it was my problem, I would.

We all make decisions about what we put in our bodies.

^^^^^ Gold. Perfectly stated :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I too, wonder what the heck is going on! If I read or hear one more thing about "going gluten free" I am going to scream! I think it's a marketing tool and people are buying it hook, line and sinker. It's just interesting to me since something like only 10% of the population even has Celiac disease.

Celiac's and gluten intolerance manifests in many different ways. There's a good chance the average person has suffered from one of the symptoms, such as headaches or sore joints. Tell them to stop eating gluten, and BAM, placebo effect in full form! I saw this happen with a couple patients at my internship. They told me they cut out gluten and their world had changed. Turns out that they thought gluten was sugar...I didn't really want to tell them they were just mixed up in hopes they'd cut back on their sugar intake haha

Not to discount those who have true sensitivities. Gluten sensitivity is real. But the recent "popularity" of this allergy has made me skeptical. If you did enough nutrition counseling in areas where most people didn't graduate high school, you'd be cynical too.
  • jflint86
    Options
    I too, wonder what the heck is going on! If I read or hear one more thing about "going gluten free" I am going to scream! I think it's a marketing tool and people are buying it hook, line and sinker. It's just interesting to me since something like only 10% of the population even has Celiac disease.

There are so many things I would like to say in reply to this post, but I'd likely get banned for it right now, I'm in a mood :angry: So I'll just curse at my computer screen instead :explode: For someone who has serious genuine issues with gluten, this post is downright maddening.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I call the dairy and gluten 'allergies' because I tested positive when given the skin test AND in the blood tests. So while my reaction is more an intolerance reaction, the science says I'm actually allergic.

I also was tested but I started to have my allergies as a little kid. The tests prove I'm highly allergic. Treatment barely minimized it. Ironically, I get migraines if I have too much wheat in my diet (as well as the rashes). I know people who adore bread but who suddenly, out of the blue, started experiencing horrible bathroom and digestion issues that included stuff I don't want to mention here but which came out of the blue. They stopped the gluten as it was suggested to them by a doctor and suddenly - it worked. Trust me, you don't go gluten free unless something is seriously wrong. It's way too expensive to do that. My breads are 2-3 dollars more than regular bread...you don't even want to know what a gluten free cookie can run. Basically, going gluten free involves spending LOTS of money.

FYI - 10% out of a 100% is basically the equivalent of 10 people out of 100. Now, do the math....if you do that at a much higher population - you have a group of people willing to spend ANYTHING to eat things that resemble pasta, pizza and breads. Trust me - we are a guaranteed market willing to spend the cash. That's no minor thing.
  • neverstray
    Options
    This thread keeps going back and forth through a couple of different issues. I'm glad I brought this up. Initially, I was trying to distinguish between people that have real problems with different food conditions, whatever they might be, and people that make them up.

I do think there is a huge difference between people that get official medical diagnosis and people that just claim that not eating wheat makes them feel better. I don't at all think there is anything wrong with it all by itself. But, as it relates to the growing trend, it is hard to tell the difference between a real problem and one that's not real. I shouldn't have to define what not real means but since this is the internet, I sort of have to qualify it. So, I'll just say it is anytime that there is not a medical diagnosis of an actual medical problem. So, by saying that I feel better eating gluten free food DOES NOT mean that I have celiac disease. And, that's what I was attempting to get at with my post.

So, we can move this forward and stop going back and arguing about an opinion that something makes you feel better. Again, just because you feel better on a gluten free diet does not mean that being gluten free has solved your problem, because you don't know what the problem really was. It could be that some component within the gluten free environment was the problem and you dont' actually have to eliminate gluten at all, you just think that because you felt better after eliminating gluten. This is a fact that seems to escape a lot of people. That's why I weigh heavily on more of an official diagnosis. It was never my attempt to belittle those with actual problems. I was more discussing those that are either jumping on the band wagon, or criticising those that self-diagnose. I was also asking if there was an actual increase in actual medical statistics of these increases. It seems that there is a general increase in over all dietary issues. It sounds like it is not clear as to why just yet. But, there are a lot of asumptions and theroies as to why.

Anyway, interesting dialog. Obviously, this topic touches a lot of people. I'm concerned.
  • enigmachik
    Options
    Yes, it is awful. The farmers around here don't even want to deal with the big M that tries to promote their company as such a family loving, environementally friendly, gag, gag, gag.............

The billboards around here make me sick.
    I bet. I'm still bitter because I found out one of my county's locally based "organic" food companies pumped $500,000 into suppressing GMO food labeling. It's so frustrating because I just want information that should be available BY DEFAULT.

Oh yes. I know Whole Foods backed up Monsanto a whole lot in this mess.

I have also heard from others that live in California that it is possible that there was ballot tampering and that the measure might have actually passed.

I was praying for rop 37 to pass in California as a first so that it would spark and unite other states to join in also.

Of course Missouri would want no parts of it because they are big Monsanto lovers around these here parts.

This is not true. I work for Whole Foods and I know they've been fighting for YEARS to have labeling in GMO foods. They have been the biggest backer of the Non-GMO Project since it's inception! We all wanted Prop 37 to pass as well. It was a company wide initiative. They got a bad rap because people pointed out that many of our foods have GMOs, but that is simply unfair because many of EVERYONE'S food in the US has GMOs. Nearly 80% of the food chain supply in the US has GMOs. That's the problem with Monsanto and others getting away with not labeling, plus there is the issue of cross-pollination and drift which makes it virtually impossible to avoid all GMOs. Trust me, everyone in this company wants GMO labeling. We have said this from the very beginning. Our message on this issue has never changed, we just got a whole bunch of bad press which marked us as somehow being different from every other natural retailer (and indeed every conventional retailer as well), but EVERY natural retailer has this problem. Whole Foods was targeted simply because it is the biggest. Do not for a second think that your natural retailer is any different just because it isn't Whole Foods. Every single part of the food chain is poisoned by Monsanto. They need to be stopped!

Your being lied to by your employer. There was a big article written a while back about the Partnership between Whole Foods and Monsanto.

It is kept under wraps to keep people shopping at Whole Foods.

I don't shop at Natural Grocers and I don't buy packaged foods and such. I make sure the fruits and vegetables I eat are either conventionally grown or they are organic. So, I don't worry about GMO's being eaten by me or anyone that eats in my house.

Whole Foods needs to stop stocking Kashi and other mainstream brands if they want to continue to have support. I know a LOT of people that have begun boycotting Whole Foods.

The video is linked in the link below.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037329_Whole_Foods_GMO_undercover_video.html

Whole Foods has mastered the art of bait and switch"

That's not a bait and switch. What that is is a case of a couple of stock boys being uninformed. It's unfortunate that they didn't understand what GMOs were, but that has nothing to do with Whole Foods stance on the issue. The article outright lies several times. Never, not once, have I ever seen them train anyone to say we don't carry GMO products. In fact, for YEARS, way before all this bad press started, they have been telling us we DO have GMOs in some of our products and what we're doing about it. We've been backing NON-GMO initiatives for a very long time. We stopped selling Silk two years ago because of it. We're re-evaluating our relationship with Kashi. Whole Foods is not in bed with Monsanto. We've fought them MORE than any other grocery chain. Do your research. Don't believe an article you read. Research it. Research all the other grocery chains and tell me which ones profit most from Monsanto and which ones have supported GMO labeling the most. Whole Foods is not the enemy on this issue. They do many things wrong, but in this case they are absolutely being scapegoated.