White noise for sleeping

Options

Replies

• aorech
    aorech Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ya, I use a fan for sleeping as well. I wouldn't try to break the habit it doesn't seem unhealthy to me. For someone who like the fan noise the white noise apps just don't cut it for me. I do use it when I am out of town though!
  • stebbrock
    stebbrock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a small fan for white noise and have found that it works well. For a change of pace I use my phone with a speaker dock to play on a loop "The Sound of Summer Rain" or "Thundering Rainstorm" by Joe Baker, $.99 at Amazon. I find these nature sounds to produce a deeper and more refreshing sleep.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    This isn't the most practical option for the sole purpose of white noise, but I just run the filter to my fish tank.

This actually drove me insane last night. My daughter has a fish tank and for whatever reason the water level was just right to be extremely annoying with the filter pumping water back in. Usually it isn't bad, but last night I was ready to break that thing. :bigsmile:
  • cyndispot
    Options
    I use an old air purifier and my cell phone (Sleep as Android has a lullaby function that I like - Fireplace.) I like the phone cuz I have the same white noise when I travel if the hotels don't have air that will run all night.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Ill leave the fan on in the washroom which is right outside my bedroom. If its too loud I adjust the volume either by shutting the bathroom door...Or closing my door half way or all the way.
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I could never give up fans when I'm sleeping - I use two. An overhead and one at the foot of my bed throughout the year!!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This isn't the most practical option for the sole purpose of white noise, but I just run the filter to my fish tank.

This actually drove me insane last night. My daughter has a fish tank and for whatever reason the water level was just right to be extremely annoying with the filter pumping water back in. Usually it isn't bad, but last night I was ready to break that thing. :bigsmile:
    :laugh: I know what you mean! The balance has to be just right or that thing can get really annoying.. it's my boyfriend's stupid fish tank of course. :P
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have an old air purifier that doesn't purify the air anymore and they don't make parts for it, but it still turns on. It's a soft wind noise and is on the other side of the room, but does the trick.
  • mom20072019
    mom20072019 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've slept with a fan pointed at me for years! I can not sleep without it even if i'm freezing I'll point it away from me just for the noise..makes me sleep so soundly!!
  • Hawkeye_74
    Hawkeye_74 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been sleeping with a fan on for years. Have to. During winter I which to a heater. If I didn't use a fan or heater the voices in my head will want to talk to me all evening long. HAHA. :laugh:
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just the thought of sleeping without my fan on gives me bad anxiety.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    if someone already stated this disregard... but you can record your fan then play it in a loop then adjust the volume as needed and this will save you 90% of the electricity give or take based on my imaginary %(it will use less im just not testing it)
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    What about getting one of those "Sound/Aroma" spa things from the Bed & Bath store?
    I had one once. And it was rather soothing.. There were some sounds that were annoying. And there was a "White Noise" option.
    I liked the ocean sound with the ocean scented beads smell.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...I HAVE to have a fan on. And let me just say it's nice to know I'm not alone, LOL!! It is seriously almost impossible for me to sleep without it.

But I found an app on my phone that works pretty well in the absence of one. It's called "relax & sleep". I'm sure there are others...just search for "white noise" in the app store. Works wonders to drown out snoring & stomping upstairs neighbors too, LOL ;)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I found I sleep better after I kick her out of bed.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to stop? To conserve energy?

I'd suggest the cellphone option everyone has pointed out.

I can normally sleep without any white noise BUT if any unfamiliar sounds happen (like a mouse stepping into one of my traps, neighbors fighting randomly or a car backfiring) it wakes me up and that makes me angry. So I started sleeping with a fan to prevent being woken up unnecessarily.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Geez! With all of us running fans to sleep, I'm surprised there is any electricity left over for my TV watching. :tongue:
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    YES! I use one and both of my kids use a white noise machine that has different sounds and a volume control. Just make sure you get one that doesn't turn off automatically after a certain amount of time. Mine have an optional timer, but we need them to run all night. If they go off for some reason, we wake up from the silence!!

You can pick one up at Walmart or Target or any major store, even Amazon. Works great for all of us. I pack one with me when we stay overnight anywhere and send one with the kids if they go somewhere, too.
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    i have tinnitus so i sleep with my tv on. loud enough to hear without having to concentrate. works for me.
  • mrsklt99
    Options
    I use the Nature Space app on my smartphone, lots of different sounds. I also have a fan!