Am I the only one starting to stress about thankgiving ?

Options
we always go out to families for thanksgiving and im just stressing out because i started this new diet and i havent really told anyone on my husbands side because i really dont care to hear his mother complain about your spending to much money to do this diet. So I just figured I would bring a salad with me and eat that so that way i wont blow my diet and gain weight... i have no self control when it comes to food :/ grrr

Replies

• laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Turkey is your friend! I plan to load up on turkey and any other veggies available, squash, peas, whatever. Skip the rolls and pies and you will do just fine! Have a low calorie day before and after thanksgiving to even it out and try not to stress too much :)
    Lauren
  • mrscotnoir
    Options
    Im actually on a diet diet so i can just eat everything i want and just watch the calorie intake, so im gonna just make a giant salad and use some of the turkey so i have my protein
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Ooh I gotcha :) I'm sure you will do great! Are you doing low carb or something?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    2 bite rule on all sweets if you can't resist. 2 bites then toss it.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    We are going on Thanksgiving cruise ! Daughter and I are have all ready cased the menue. Breakfast is going to be my weak point (love eggs benedict) Hope we survive and I will just try to keep busy in gym....All good
  • IAMSHELOCK
    Options
    I'm not really stressing however I have thought of a game plan. Stick with less meat, more veggies. The carbs I will allow myself are my brother's dressing and of course dessert (in moderate portions). All with water...... oh and and just a sliver of cranberry sauce. Even if I go over my calories, I still plan to workout during the holidays so all will not be lost. Thanksgiving is only 1 day and I don't plan doing anything to trigger myself into a downward spiral. Good luck to you!
  • sclangley
    Options
    I'm going 600+ miles to see my family. They all know I am dieting but we will still have a traditional dinner for the 25 others who aren't. I plan to help do some of the cooking so that I can control the 'southern' way of loading everything up with fat and high sodium seasoning. I am sure I will use it as one of my few and far between splurge days of the year - BUT I am already lining folks up to walk with me and/or plan things in a way that I can get plenty of exercise to work off my extra calories and GUILT.

If you don't mind a little more input about someone throwing the expense of dieting into the mix, my husband said it best when he confronted me about cutting back on healthier foods to save money - it cost more in money and risk to see doctors for weight related health issues down the line than it does to spend a little extra at the market each time I go (or purchase a diet that really helps). Because he took the $$ factor out of it for me to erase one of my excuses, I am actually eating many of the same foods I love just preparing them differently.....and buying the healthier meats/fruits/breads/etc.

Anyway....I got off track there -BUT yes, I am stressing and trying to take control now to prevent a spiral that ends up ruining my Thanksgiving and family time. Sounds like you are doing the same. I wish us all luck!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    most gyms have classes first thing in the morning and most are open thanksgiving day.

Since I'm traveling out of town I plan on taking my running shoes and I'll be adding a extra mile or two that with 500 sit ups I don't think I'll over eat but if I do I'll hit the workout hard the next day
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out! You can enjoy your food while maintaining the discipline to have smaller portions. You're not going to go out there and put on 5lbs in one day. So you have a little of the food you normally stay away from. No biggie. You will do just fine as long as you keep your head!
  • Kathrynaline
    Options
    so my thin ( and younger) sister got angry when I told her i was watching what I eat. She said Thanksgiving should be a free day. WEll, It would be if I wasn't already over 200 lbs. ! UGH! I don't want to eat in one meal my calories for a week. It'll be hard when I've had no sugar or carbs for a month. I think if I did eat the way she's suggesting then I'd have a belly ache. My body doesn't react well to heavy or rich foods anymore! So thats what I'll say. Just don't want a stomach ache to ruin Scattergories!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Its not as hard as you think. when you start depriving yourself of foods thats when it gets hard to maintain.

I dont know what type of diet plan you are following but if you have a daily calorie limit like on MFP its still easy to eat holiday foods---in moderation. I log my calories on all holidays. I pretty much know how many calories per serving for my favorite foods without looking them up. Bring a food scale or at least a measuring cup ( or a less conspicuous serving spoon that equates one cup) and eat with portion control. I ate 4 oz turkey, 1 cup smashed yams, 3oz stuffing, 2 oz asparagus, and 2oz of pumpkin pie last Thanksgiving. I portion controlled for Easter, too, and still stayed on track. Once it becomes part of daily life then controlling what you eat becomes second nature.
  • melindadunston
    Options
    I am stressing a little but I'm not trying to be a kill joy for everyone else. It's a day to eat. It's once a year and I'm eating. I do plan on going on about an 8-10mile run that morning so I can enjoy my food.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I formulated a game plan. I stepped up my working out and water intake this month. Hopefully that will keep me losing steadily. I also pre=planned the dinner menu with my MIL. I know exactly what I will having. Key is try for portion control. I will continue to log everything. Good thing is my MIL is not the best cook so I'm all good.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I am not going to track on Thanksgiving. I plan to be mindful and not make it an all day eating frenzy, but I want to enjoy the day and not fret about it. It's ONE day...I know it won't kill me if I'm over cals. Also I am doing a Turkey Trot (5K) so the activity will help balance everything out. :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    2 bite rule on all sweets if you can't resist. 2 bites then toss it.

This has really helped me! I just have a bite or two of my boyfriend's cake/pie/cookie/whatever, that way I still get to enjoy it but not go overboard on the calories. I never feel like I deny myself anything this way.

But yeah, this Thanksgiving will be different for me than all previous Thanksgivings. I would just shove stuff in my mouth without thinking. Big glasses of egg nog, endless rolls with butter, this kind of pie, that kind of pie, 2 scoops of mashed potatoes with 3 scoops of gravy...etc. None of this is necessary! I will have what I want, but I don't need 4 servings of it. I highly doubt my stomach would be able to handle how I used to eat on Thanksgiving anymore anyway.

Also, get some good exercise in the morning. I'm running a 5K in my town, with a giant turkey hat of course.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am not stressing but for these special occasions I use a smaller plate and really watch my portion control. I will drink a lot of water prior to the meal and not need to eat as much. This works for me as the holidays are at our house ....
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Like others, I am not stressing because I have a plan. Starting the day off with a pre-dinner Zumba class. At dinner I am going to enjoy those "once a year" treats, like my Mom's homemade stuffing and my MIL's apple pie in moderation. Things like mashed potatoes will be VERY limited if at all because I could have those any day. Telling yourself you "can't" have something is likely to cause that whole rebellion mentality and could potentially lead to a binge. Try to not stress and enjoy your family!
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    I will just eat Thanksgiving dinner and enjoy it.

I have yo yo dieted so many times that I came to the realization that if I let it own my life I'm not going to be successful in the only way that counts... In the LONG TERM.

So I go to the gym a lot and eat ONE cheat MEAL a week and I wont shy away from major food related holidays... Sure it will slow my long term weight loss down a little bit (though I burn more at the gym than I consume in the cheat meal) but it will keep me committed for far longer if I can still participate in life.

I have lost 14 lbs in the last month alone doing this.

Everyone is different though, if you can't enjoy Thanksgiving dinner while eating right the rest of the day and jump back on the diet the next day without issue then maybe you should stick to the salad.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I am currently stretching my stomach in training for the 10 pounds of food I plan on eating on turkey day. Some things are sacred and I'm not willing to ever give up the divine right to gorge myself on thanksgiving. LONG LIVE THANKSGIVING!

Just try to keep in mind that this is one day in the year. If you don't give in once in a while (and by once in a while for me, I mean one MEAL a week at MOST) then you can actually end up making it harder for yourself to stay with your new way of looking at food and you might even end up feeling depressed. This is about changing your relationship with food, not banishing the pleasure of eating from your life. It's ok for eating to feel good and you will find your tastes changing rapidly if you start eating as much whole, organic, and/or nutritious food as possible. My diet still has some processed stuff in it, pretty much daily! But I make it a priority to stay under my calories, fat, carbs and sodium. Last night I was on the road and wasn't going to be able to eat until 10pm and so I ate some chicken nuggets! I don't worry so much about being over fiber and protein. So, don't stress. Enjoy the journey, enjoy food, enjoy life. I've lost almost 60 pounds in just under 3 months, it's working for me. In fact, I'm probably getting General Gau chicken, pork fried rice and crab rangoon for dinner tonight. And there will be duck sauce. Oh yes... there will be duck sauce.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much made up my mind I'm not even going to log anything on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day. I would probably feel differently if I was just starting but I've been doing well all year long and I know a couple days over the next few months are not going to derail me- so my plan is to not go crazy and pig out but also not worry about it too much. Just try to be like a regular person and enjoy great food with friends and family.

BTW- I am not extending this holiday policy beyond those two days and into all the little extra work lunches and holiday cookies and crap like that- talking two days only. :wink: