Not All Calories Are The Same, New Research Finds

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Several studies came out at the same time supporting this. An excellent fast read summarizing decades of this research is called Why We Get Fat. http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307949435

I found it helpful, especially as combined with MFP. It recommends low glycemic aiming for 40% carbs for long term weight loss and maintenance. He has a longer more technical book too. (Taubes is the NY Times science correspondent.)

LolTaubes
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    the issue for me is that many seem to take this fact and focus only on that because it is relatively simple to achieve without having to worry about macro nutrient ratios

But the power is in its simplicity.

I agree with a lot of what you say but I think the best thing an overweight / obese person can do for their health, without any shadow of a doubt, is to lose weight however they can. If they do that by eating nothing but McDonalds or whatever then so be it.

Hopefully people then transition to a more nutritious diet which also sees them in deficit / maintenance (it is astonishing that Western Societies are amongst the most overweight in the world but at the same time malnourished...) However, I think many, many people need to see some success initially to boos their confidence before they then make the leap to overall health as well.

This 100%. When I first started at 300 pounds, my biggest change was instead of ordering a big mac meal, I would order a regular hamburger and fries. Then, I wanted more food for my calories, I cooked at home and added vegetables to my meals. And so on. In the beginning, the less I had to focus on, the more I was apt to stick with it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I guess this flies in the face of the people who insist that weight loss is simply a matter of calories in/calories out alone. For example Lyle McDonald - someone linked his discussion here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/715411-you-are-not-different. Also this might be a bit upsetting to those who swear by ketogenic diets on the long-term.

To be fair, I'm so sick and tired of this back and forth bro science about "eat less, exercise more" vs "you need to do 20/30/40 bla bla bla" ratios. It was nice that someone here posted an actual empirical study which albeit small, sheds a little light on the subject.

I'vealways been a proponent of doing what works for the individual. And despite what many people think, that is different for everyone. If it wasn't, this would be a lot easier for most of us.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I came here to have an intelligent discussion, but the text is in bold. I can't argue with that.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Always good to read new articles - for me personally I keep it simple - eat healthy and exercise, do some strength training. Healthy eating is diff for diff people, for me I have lots of protein and fiber and I watch my acid reflux-trigger foods. Processed sugar is addictive for me so I have to be careful with that.

The above helped me both lose weight and gain some strength in the process. Once I start getting too restrictive it usually ends up in eating something or doing something equally unhealthy.

Sustainability is important. Even if you can lose by avoiding all of 1 thing, or only eating 1 thing, how long can you keep it up anyway?
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Different macros have different thermic effects which, when manipulated to a rather large amount, can impact energy output. Protein is better preservative of LBM and muscle is more metabolically active than fat. Dietary fat can effect hormones. These are all reasons (and there are others) why people who know what they're doing, will often recommend macro changes in addition to total energy changes.

Ok, I understand what you are saying.
    So do you feel one pay attention to macros in addition to caloric deficit in order to lose weight?
    [/quote]

I think that generally speaking, ignoring macronutrients and ignoring micronutrients is foolish.

However, despite that opinion, weight loss is still driven by energy balance.

If I were to make a sweeping generalization that isn't perfect:

Calories ---> Change in weight.
    Macronutrients ----> Change in body composition
    Micronutrients ----> Change in health.

There is a little overlap in the above but again, it's a very broad statement.
    [/quote]

Thanks though :-)
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    So, uh, eat a sensible diet with mostly whole foods. Sounds right.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    it will always be true that just for weight loss, only a caloric deficit is required.

and new comers are bombarded with this fact constantly.

the issue for me is that many seem to take this fact and focus only on that because it is relatively simple to achieve without having to worry about macro nutrient ratios

for optimal weight loss AND over all health, IMO, macro nutrient ratios should be equally emphasized.

advocating a "eat whatever you want but just stay in a caloric deficit" mentality seems irresponsible given the way many beginners here blindly take that advice and run with it

Have you seen that advocated a lot here? I ask because I haven't.

BTW, I am solidly in the camp that a calorie deficit, good macronutrient goals and mostly nutrient dense foods are the pillars of the nutritional side of things.

If, for beginners, eating anything but staying within their calorie allotment keeps them on track, why wouldn't you advocate it? After a while, they will want to eat more and add more vegetables and lean meat to their diet.

This is how I lost my first 40 pounds.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    So, what I take away is:

Emphasis on proteins.
    High glycemic index carbs.
    Moderate fats.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Bump. My brain needs coffee first.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Whole, natural, unprocessed foods are the way to go. Stop the whole "diet" nonsense.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Three big points to make on this study

2. The difference in diets accounted for no more than 350 cal difference. Go for a quick walk/run for an hour and almost every person on this board will burn more than that -- we are talking about a very small difference.

For a very athletic person who is maintaining on 3000 cals per day, 350 might not be a whole lot, but this would mean for the average female who is struggling on 1200 cals per day to try to lose 1 pound per week, they can theoretically lose the same amount by eating 1550 cals per day, if they choose the right foods. Or that extra 350 cals burned in a day would equate to an extra 3/4 pound loss per week. That really adds up.

What might be a simple 1 hour run a day for you, may be next to impossible for many other people. If you could get the same calorie burn simply by changing the type of foods you eat, many people would want to know that.

And to the OP, thanks for posting this. It is good to see some scientific tests results to reinforce the way I am eating already.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So, what I take away is:

Emphasis on proteins.
    Moderate fats.

That would actually be LOW glycemic index carbs, but higher protein and moderate fats are correct.

ETA- Higher fiber carbs makes them lower glycemic. Meaning the carbs break down into sugar more slowly, preventing large spikes in Blood Sugar and large insulin releases.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Whole, natural, unprocessed foods are the way to go. Stop the whole "diet" nonsense.

You can stilbecome overweight eating those foods if you eat too much. In order to lose weight, you HAVE TO diet. It's just the way it goes. You may continue once you've reached goal to eat the healthy foods and exercise (I think it becomes a habit and way-of-life for many), but you still have to diet to get to that goal.
  • Mandy7698
    Mandy7698 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The low GI diet that Dr. Ludwig concluded was the best for overall health was actually 20% protein, 40% fat and 40% carbs. Not sure where the emphasis on protein is coming from, even the diet that performed the best in the study was only 30% protein.

3481qux.jpg
    Graph by Peter Attia
    http://eatingacademy.com/books-and-articles/good-science-bad-interpretation
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Peter Attia wrote a great blog post on that study. Here's a little of what he had to say:

"A few things stand out from these results:

1. The group consuming a very low carbohydrate diet had a higher REE and TEE than the low GI group, which had a higher REE and TEE than the low fat group. In other words, the fewer carbohydrates in the diet, the higher the resting and overall expenditure. This is actually the sine qua non of the alternative hypothesis: something beyond the actual number of calories is playing a role in how the body expends energy.

2. As expected, given that each subject was starting from a weight-reduced state, the REE was lower for each group, relative to their baseline. REE is highly (though clearly not entirely) dependent on body mass.

3. There is enormous variation between subjects by diet type. For example, at least one subject saw a dramatic increase in TEE on the low GI diet versus the other two, while another saw the greatest TEE on the low fat diet. This speaks to a theme I iterate on this blog: be willing to self-experiment until you find what works for you. "

http://eatingacademy.com/books-and-articles/good-science-bad-interpretation

YES!!! BE YOUR OWN SCIENTIST!!! N=1 AND IT ALWAYS AND THAT IS THE ONE THING THAT WON'T CHANGE.

IMO, I don't believe in calories in, calories out because it's not how the human body treats food - we are made of food and what we eat is more important than how much. Because of good chunk of the fat (fatty acids) and protein (amino acids) doesn't get used as energy. A calorie is a unit of energy and that's it - figured out by burning food - literally. Those fatty and amino acids go towards cellular repair and maintenance, not energy.

And if you have any diabetes in your family, even the healthiest carbs will eventually hurt you. I did the SAD with healthy whole grains and lots of fruit. I dropped some weight but I still suffer from Reactive Hypoglycemia (aka prediabetes). I'm 110lbs and I still suffer from this.

And if you don't have diabetes in your family then a lifetime of the SAD and it's "healthy" whole grains" as the staple will just ensure you fight your weight as you age, dealing with all the "normal" aspects of aging like arthritis (inflammation), cholesterol problems (inflammation), hypertentsion, etc.

Funny. I'm almost 42 years old and while everyone around me deteriorating I'm getting healthier. But then I don't follow the SAD. My body runs best at about 5%-10% carbs. When I keep them around there I don't have to worry about calories or fat. In fact, I have to make sure I eat plenty of fat because my body burns through it like crazy. And I don't exercise a lot.

NOTE: Judging by some of the pics on here I won't be back to this thread. I'm sure I will be attacked and insulted since I don't believe the conventional wisdom. So if anyone is interested in hearing more please PM me.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    So, what I take away is:

Emphasis on proteins.
    Moderate fats.

That would actually be LOW glycemic index carbs, but higher protein and moderate fats are correct.

ETA- Higher fiber carbs makes them lower glycemic. Meaning the carbs break down into sugar more slowly, preventing large spikes in Blood Sugar and large insulin releases.

Yep. Thanks for the catch.