Offline to Online Friendships

Options
penrbrown
penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
Have you ever been friends with someone and after a few months decided to add them to your facebook or give them your cell number or whatever and through this medium discovered they were completely, bat-crap insane? And then you realized you can't remove them from said social medium because they would go crazy and kill you?

I have two very awkward scenarios going on in my life right now and I was hoping I'm not the only one who has experienced this!

Scenario 1: I befriended this lady who I keep meeting around town. She comes to my workplace. I go to hers. We were constantly chatting it up and just generally we hit it off. So I figured; we should go for coffee! It's been years of conversations in the street so why not make it an official friendship?

Well, I gave her my cell number and the woman is FREAKING INSANE!

She'll text me like twenty times. And at the end of it all she says: Are you mad at me? Are you upset? Is that why you're not responding? Is something wrong? Guess you're mad. Whatever. I don't need you.

Etc. etc. etc.

I get off work and there's this row of insane messages. So far my approach has been to respond to her ORIGINAL text, before the crazy started, and ignore all the rest. But it's getting to be a bit freaky! In person she is still the same, wonderful, fun person but through text she's CRAZY!

I'm thinking of pretending my phone is broken and resorting to our old friendship but I'm worried she'll realize it's a lie and she'll hunt me down and kill me.

Scenario 2: I keep meeting this lady around town. She always kind of brushed me off but I didn't think much of it. I did, however, end up working with her fiance. Through work he and I became friends! He added me to facebook and out of respect for their relationship I added HER to my facebook as well. I figured, we do kind of know each other and I didn't want her to be uncomfortable with the friendship I have with her fiance.

ANYWAY!

She's a freaking horrible person! I mean it! The stuff she posts on facebook is vile and nasty and just... *shudder*. So weird. She didn't seem so nasty in person. And she's making it VERY clear that she doesn't like me. Why the HECK she added me? I dunno, but she's making as many passive aggressive little digs as she can, whenever she can.

So now I have these two people who COULD have been friends face to face if I hadn't introduced social media to the picture and now I'm not sure how to 'quit them'. *sigh*

Tell me your awkward offline to online relationship stories! Make me feel better? :P

Replies

• Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Delete everyone.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry... I can't help you. So far, I haven't had any scenario like that. :ohwell: **Knocks on wood** I pray I never do.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    For the Facebook lady - just hide her newsfeed posts, so you don't have to see them. For the text lady, you may have to have a talk with her. Let her know you're busy at work and cannot get to your phone right away, so just be patient and you will get back to her as soon as you can.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't speak to strangers!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have friend who I know from church on my FB. We don't say two words to eachother in person, but we can talk for hours online. Then I met someone online who was a freak, but started out sweet. She started out this super Christian girl, and turned into a "tell me all about your sex life" girl while she would share explicit stories with me. I then discovered SHE was actually a MAN in his 20's. (I was 15)
  • AmberJo1984
    Options
    I have friend who I know from church on my FB. We don't say two words to eachother in person, but we can talk for hours online. Then I met someone online who was a freak, but started out sweet. She started out this super Christian girl, and turned into a "tell me all about your sex life" girl while she would share explicit stories with me. I then discovered SHE was actually a MAN in his 20's. (I was 15)

WOW!!! :noway:
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

This!
  • penrbrown
    Options

o.O EW
  • penrbrown
    Options

I can't STOP speaking to strangers!!! It's like a sickness. I just love everyone! Until they get all weird and freaky on me. :P
  • AmberJo1984
    Options

I can't STOP speaking to strangers!!! It's like a sickness. I just love everyone! Until they get all weird and freaky on me. :P

LOL. Good thing I'm a little shy at first. I guess this is why I haven't had this problem.... at least not yet.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This. It was startling when I visited Arkansas and random people talked to you or smiled at you. LOL Over here that would just mean we glare back or hold our purse tighter.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have found the best way to deal with crazy people is to make them think you are crazier.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    always be careful with new friends both offline and online

this said everyone who meets new people has to take a chance might become a friend a good friend or a misadventure or worse

it takes time to know a new person

my best friend I found online
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been friends with someone and after a few months decided to add them to your facebook or give them your cell number or whatever and through this medium discovered they were completely, bat-crap insane? And then you realized you can't remove them from said social medium because they would go crazy and kill you?

Go ahead and defriend me on FB. I won't be making a trip to Canada anytime soon.
  • penrbrown
    Options

Go ahead and defriend me on FB. I won't be making a trip to Canada anytime soon.

Well, clearly you aren't the subject of this post. We were online to online. :P

You can't quit me!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    whoa.. stop adding strange women from the street to your social media... Why are you so nice anyway to just be chatting it up with strangers! LOL
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    It's happened to me. Sadly, I'm related to all of them. :grumble:
  • penrbrown
    Options
    whoa.. stop adding strange women from the street to your social media... Why are you so nice anyway to just be chatting it up with strangers! LOL

I don't know! It's a dysfunction!!!

At this point I'm kind of well known in town too. ): Seriously. Went on a date a few months back. We stopped at Timmy's and EVERYONE was greeting us. "Hi Pen!" "OH HI PEN!" "Hi Pen!" My date was so baffled. "Do you know EVERYBODY in town???"

Haha. It was kind of mortifying. We couldn't converse at all. Kept getting interrupted. Yeah.

Not that I have lots of friends. Just... everyone kind of knows me. *blush* That's probably a bad thing. I'm probably the 'crazy overly friendly chick'.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    It's happened to me. Sadly, I'm related to all of them. :grumble:

Awwwwwwkward!!!!
  • maggie2731
    Options
    Change your phone number and delete your fb for a while.