Substitute for Whey Protein?

Options
My trainer suggested I get whey protein this week but I'm on a no soy, dairy or gluten diet. Do I even need whey protein or is there an alternative? I eat a ton of protein every day as it is. Currently I'm doing weight training (to failure) twice a week (2x upper/ 2x lower alternating).

Thoughts?

Replies

• risenonlytofall
    Options
    If you're already meeting your protein goals there's no need for supplements. Though there are various soy and dairy free protein powders available, like hemp or pea.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You don't need whey protein or any protein supplement if you are meeting your protein goal. Protein powder is just meant to help people reach their protein intake if they aren't getting it from food. There is no further benefit.
    If you do feel you need more, there are other types of protein powders. Sorry I haven't tried them.
  • tebcolorado
    Options
    Ok that's what I thought. Every time I see him though he keeps hounding me to get some saying I absolutely need it for results. Thanks for confirming. I think I'll pass.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Threadjack: Why do you pay someone to train you if you aren't going to listen to him/her? And why does he/she have you training to failure 4x/week?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Meat is a good one.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    protein, like carbs are complex energy meaning, what you will get out of whey will not be the same as out of chicken...
  • tebcolorado
    Options
    Why does he/she have you training to failure 4x/week?

It's upper twice a week and lower twice a week. Not whole body 4x a week.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If you need the extra protein, Jay Robb puts out an egg protein. A bit high in sodium, though.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    protein, like carbs are complex energy meaning, what you will get out of whey will not be the same as out of chicken...

• Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There are different types of protein powders available. I believe there's even a vegan one made from Peas.

What do you consider enough protein? Keep in mind the MFP goal is set low to start, especially if you lift weights 4x a week til failure.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

What about milk?
  • tebcolorado
    Options
    There are different types of protein powders available. I believe there's even a vegan one made from Peas.

What do you consider enough protein? Keep in mind the MFP goal is set low to start, especially if you lift weights 4x a week til failure.

Currently I'm eating around 170 a day.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bacon Sundae
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A ton of protein is a lot. Just joking! Protocol suggests that you should consume 1 to 1.5 grm of protein per 1 lb of body weight. For example, if you weigh 110 lbs, you should consume 110 to 165 grms of protein per day.

As far as alternatives to Whey, there are hemp protein, brown rice protein and others for people that are vegetarian or vegan.

Look up this site.

www.veganbodybuilding.com/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

EDITED: If you're eating 170g of protein per day you do not need whey. You may need a new trainer.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

EDITED: If you're eating 170g of protein per day you do not need whey. You may need a new trainer.

^^^^
  • MikeyD1280
    Options

What about milk?
    I'm just saying that not all protein is the same such as not all carbs are the same. I shall shut up now because I only know so much :drinker:
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

What about milk?
    I'm just saying that not all protein is the same such as not all carbs are the same. I shall shut up now because I only know so much :drinker:

Different types absorb faster and have different amino acid profiles, but for most of the MFP community it doesn't matter.
  • MikeyD1280
    Options

What about milk?

Different types absorb faster and have different amino acid profiles, but for most of the MFP community it doesn't matter.

^^ yeah.. what he said.. exactly
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested I get whey protein this week but I'm on a no soy, dairy or gluten diet. Do I even need whey protein or is there an alternative? I eat a ton of protein every day as it is. Currently I'm doing weight training (to failure) twice a week (2x upper/ 2x lower alternating).

Thoughts?

I use hemp protein powder instead of whey protein. It has ALL your essential fatty acids and is one of the few plant-based protein sources that is a complete protein. The ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6 is also the perfect ratio for human consumption.