MFPers with kids..

Options

Replies

• oklanoue
    Options
    What do you get for a 7-8 month old! LOL that is the problem that I am having. I have no clue what her other family members are going to get her but what I am going to get her?

Honestly by daughter loved empty boxes and wrapping paper at that stage LOL....I told everyone to get her batteries for all of her toys that she already had that requires "like a zillion batteries" to keep running LOL I know my daughter had a excersaucer that took over 20 batteries various sizes...:smile:
  • Alisha_Joy
    Alisha_Joy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thankfully my kids are still young (6, 2 and 2 months) so whatever we give them will light up their worlds. However, the 6 year old has requested an iPad for himself. He currently shares mine. I was thinking of getting him the iPad Mini......but we'll see.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My 12 year old daughter is still adorably young for her age. She wants Monster High dolls, a knitting basket for her wool and knitting needles, some books and The Sims 3 Supernatural.
    It's probably the last year we'll have toys under the tree so we're making the most of it :)
  • karylee44
    Options
    i have three 11, 11 and 15.

i have no idea what to get them.

i have no money anyways.

Im VERY stressed.

:(
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    What do you get for a 7-8 month old! LOL that is the problem that I am having. I have no clue what her other family members are going to get her but what I am going to get her?

Take it from me-- I just paid for cosmetology school for my 18-year-old with stock and savings accounts my mother started for her when she was a baby. Get that baby some investments!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My 6yo daughter is all about Lalaloopsy so she will be getting several of those, girlie legos, and a barbie house.

She did tell her Grandma that she wanted an ipad for christmas and then I threatened my mother and told her she wasn't allowed to buy that.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have two boys, ages seven and three....and absolutely no idea what to get my older boy! He wants toys....but NEVER plays with them lol!

See if you can get the older boy into a hobby or sorts. A friend's daughter just turned nine, she does a mix of archery, cello and rock climbing at the local Y (the rock climbing part at the Y, other parts elsewhere).

He is in 4-H here, but that's about all we can do.....we live 40 miles from the nearest town, so every activity he goes into involves an hour and a half of driving every time! Thank goodness I drive a diesel Jetta or he wouldn't be in 4-H either! Lol!

We do hunt, so archery could maybe work (hubby and I use rifles, but I've been interested in using a bow for some time). Alas, decent compound bows are no where near cheap! And who wants to shoot arrows alone?? Haha! We would need at least two....hmmmmm.....maybe I'll have to tell the hubby I want a bow for Christmas then my son and I could go out together! Thanks for the idea! Now to convince hubby we should spend upwards of $1000 on bows for Christmas! Lmao! Wish me luck! Hahahah!
  • oklanoue
    Options
    My daughter is 5 she is getting a couple of DS games (2nd hand and not upgrading to the newest gadget) some baby clothes for her baby, a couple of board games, a Wii dance game and some costumes I picked up on clearance after Halloween to play dress up...I would like to get her a makeup vanity...she has out grown her toddler one but I don't have a lot of room...
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've got three boys, ages 4, 9 and 11 (all going to have birthdays in the next 2 - 3 months too).

The 11 year old is getting his own computer this year. That's pretty much all he's getting from me besides some new clothes and pc games. Plus it's going to begin a new together time for he and I. I've agreed to set up his Facebook page, he can have Skype to talk to friends and family, and we'll negotiate which sites he's allowed to go to. And he knows every day I'm going to sit with him and look at his online activity and talk to him about it. I believe it's as important for him to know the business of social networking and online security as it is for him to manage his bank account.

So...

The 9 yr old also wants a computer, but he has been de-nied. Too young and not nearly as mature as his bro. He'll be getting a Nintendo DS, not the newest version but the more affordable and just as good DSi.

The youngest wants anything Star Wars. Last year it was John Deere, this year, Lucas. *cries* He lost some cool points for that.

And they ALL want Ninjago *facepalm* The grandparents can take care of that insanity.
    My son is 4. He can't do legos. So I forsee my fiance and I up until 3am trying to put together all this Ninjago crap.
    I have two weeks to try to get him onto something else.......
    "Hey, aren't the teenage mutant ninja turtles cool?>?>?"

He's only gotten good at the tiny legos because he's got two older brothers, at least that's my theory. ;)

The Ninjago packs with just a single figure, a card, and some spinny thing might be enough for him. Plus if you look on Amazon there are picture books, dvd's, etc. That's what I'd go for - plus that stuff is a lot cheaper than the actual Lego sets. *choke* *100+ bucks*
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My son is 5 and he still doesn't understand the concept of begging for gifts. I've seen him watching toy commercials or browsing the Toys R Us toy guide, but he doesn't jump up and say 'I really want this!'

The only thing he's expressed interest in is a soccer ball like the boy down the road.

I suppose I should be grateful!

My daughter isn't even one so I don't think she cares what she gets, but she's getting a ball popper thingy.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Both mine wanted an ipod touch--so we splurged on those. My seven year old boy LOVES (and I mean loves...it is crazy) Skylanders, so we got him the new Skylanders Giants game and a few figures. My 10 year old daughter loves Hunger Games (which I found a bit disturbing but she really didn't--telling me it's fiction--and I shouldn't get freaked out--so mature is she), so I got her the Katniss Everdeen doll. We have to get them a few more small things, but then we'll call it a day.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Mine want everything they see on tv! Ugh! My daughter is 6, the one thing she really wants is a Furby. My son is 4, he doesn't really have a certain toy that he really wants.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Legos and nerf guns for the 10 year old. That's all he wants.

The two year old... not entirely sure yet.

Give the two year old the boxes that the legos and nerf guns come in. Maybe a spoon to use them as drums.

My nine year old wants a puppy. My 13 year old wants more xbox time. Neither are happening.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Whatcha thinking about getting the little ones for Christmas?

Son wants Ninjago everything (DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS CRAZE)
    Daughter wants barbie house. She doesn't play with the barbies she has.

They'll be getting a little less this year, as I want them each to pick out a toy or two for Toys for Tots.

My son is obsessed with Ninjago as well LOL... and he and his friends play, "Ninjago" on the playground at school everyday as well :laugh:
    My 5 yr old daughter likes it too. But she is SUPER prissy and girly and loves anything princess, girly, dress-up, music, dance.... yeah, on and on and on...
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

It's probably the last year we'll have toys under the tree so we're making the most of it :)

This made me sad. I'm 32 and I still get presents under the tree.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Look in any of the stores for gifts marked for that age. Depending on your budget, you can get her/him a toy under $5-10 and deposit $20-50 or more into mutual fund for that child.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Mine are 10 and 14, the days of the easy gifts are gone. I was talking to them the other day about how they were older and they wanted more things that were expensive so there would be less gifts. I explained that I use to could get gifts for 5 or 10 dollars and could get several but now that they were older they were asking for bigger more expensive things. So that ment less. My 10 son told me mom when I sell all the pecans I have been picking up you can have the money to help buy christmas... He has been working so hard in the yard, for the last 3 weeks picking them up... LOL I again explained that was his money and he just wanted games, and laptop... So then I am thinking hmmm was that a good gesture of kindness or is it greed from wanting more gifts LOL.. Gone are the days of dollarstore, crayons and hotwheels... Hello laptop, video games, cell phones and Ipods... Enjoy them while they are young its soo much fun!!!:happy:
  • Tebbspcad
    Options
    My kids are 6, 9 & 15 they each want (in age order) a bike, everything and anything that has Justin Bieber on it, & money - he's indicated around £300 to which I replied - er No? (he's already had an expensive bike for his birthday last month). Although I don't blame him, he goes to school in a very good area and all his friends have the latest fashions/gadgets & one even gets £50 pocket money a week! :( I can't compete with that!
    I've asked santa for a new hoover how sad is that?!
  • khokho85
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and he's really into technology. Sooo.... I got him a Netbook amongst other things..so that he can Play MineCraft on it. Hahahahahah a Nerd in the making.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

i love 7-8 month olds!!
    grow-with-me toys.
    30 year bonds and of course they love boxes.

I slowly backed out of Christmas this year by sending them away for t'day (sick grampa) **daughters are 19 & 17
    So they will get cute purses with some make up and probably a few gift cards to do things.