What are some "tricks" you use to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    There's tricks? Holy crap...bring in the clowns!

There are no tricks. It's about awareness and choices. Simply put.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I come from decades of grazing all the foods all the days. So my "trick" is absolutely no eating between meals. Only water (sometimes a mug of tea instead). I have 4 meals per day 3 hours apart starting in the 8:00 AM hour, plus a small bedtime snack (usually a reduced-fat frozen bar, like Skinny Cow chocolate truffle currently).

I've got Skinny Cow chocolate truffle in the freezer right now, too! Yum!

My "trick" is that nothing is off limits. If I have to exercise more to eat, that's what I have to do. I feel that I have only been this successful because I do not deprive myself.
  • terrabit
    terrabit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The most important aspect to that statement is that if you eat smaller meals every two hours you have less of a chance of overeating. If you wait 5 hours between meals and then eat 700 calories you will most likely eat an excess and store fat.

I have a friend doing intermittant fasting who has cut a large percentage of body fat. Thats eating everything within a couple hour window, and nothing the rest of the day. Also, I have lost over 100lb eating 3 meals a day.

I am not saying that your method wont work, I just dont think its working for the reasons you think. I believe in the cals in < cals out method, regardless of how you distribute those cals throughout the day.

I cant ignore whats in front of my eyes.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I use a nifty website to track what I eat!
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Children in drought stricken areas of Somalia are in starvation mode. You are not in starvation mode because you forgot your 4pm apple.

This made me laugh out loud...and then feel like I'm going to hell.

I agree... except for I don't feel like I'm going to hell....

I agree.... I sent my donation......
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I use a nifty website to track what I eat!

That's just crazy talk right there.
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I eat 8 meals per day. Every two hours. The reason is because if you wait too long between meals your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I think it can be really harmful to people when others post things like this as definite facts....

Ashley - This is a really good point. Thank you for posting it. I know I used to believe everything I read on places like this and it drove me mental because so many of them directly contradicted each other! I think it's great when people do post helpful tidbits like this IF they are backed up by empirical evidence (i.e., not just an article in a fitness mag).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Eat the rest during and after dinner so you don't end up killing someone or binge eating one of your offspring or chewing on your sofa.

+1
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am in my second college nutrition class and this was the most basic concept that I learned in the first class. The instructor is Janet Guenther, a professional women bodybuilder. I took that statement directly from her.

The most important aspect to that statement is that if you eat smaller meals every two hours you have less of a chance of overeating. If you wait 5 hours between meals and then eat 700 calories you will most likely eat an excess and store fat.

"Starvation mode" is so overused. It may even be true that your metabolism isn't as fast if you don't eat every 2 hours, I don't know, but your body is not going to shut down if it doesn't get food for 2 hours. That's hyperbole, and it's ridiculous. Children in drought stricken areas of Somalia are in starvation mode. You are not in starvation mode because you forgot your 4pm apple.

^^^exactly. next we can start adding the dredded refeeding syndrome if we dont eat every two hours :huh:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Reading these posts is helpful because it keeps me focused and on track! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks to most of the posters here... (some useless bickering too) one can come away with some really great ideas! Call them tricks call them lifestyle changes call them whatever... Y'all are some pretty smart cookies! (Yes, I used Y'all and Cookies in the same sentance! Go me!)
  • kcwright12
    Options
    Love these!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I talk to my flab. I say, "GET OUTTA MY BELLY!"

It's working.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My tricks to losing weight:
    Step 1. Log what you eat in MFP. The primary reason here is that I have come to realize that most people (including myself) cannot acurately account for their calorie intake. This is not because people are stupid or lazy it is just not easy to accurately do. For example, I was about 100 lbs heavier than a healthy weight for me. This weight increase took about 30 years or 3.3 lbs a year to accrue. This meant on a daily basis I was 28 calories over what I should have been. Yes only 28 calories. So I submit that most people could not mentally track their daily net calorie intake that accurately. But with MFP we leverage technology to help us track.

Step 2. See if total net calorie amount of what I logged on average is below my daily target amount?

Step 3. If answer to step 2 is yes then continue to do what I am doing. If answer to step 2 is no then "make it so" most likely by eating less (usually not as much as you think) and excercising more can help.
  • mj3636
    Options
    Like someone else said, I find it helpful to enter all the food I plan to eat that day right away in the morning. It really helps my choose more wisely and think more about what I am going to eat. I end up eating healthier food as a result, because I can see if i eat that cheeseburger and fries, I'm pretty much done eating for the day.

Second, I've reduced the amount of calories I get through drinking. I love milk, but was getting a lot of my daily calories via milk, which doesn't have much of a filling effect. I was drinking 4 - 6 cups of milk per day before, now I'm down to about 2.

Finally, I eat breakfast at about 9am, instead of 6am. As a result, I also eat the rest of my meals and snacks later, which helps curb my 9pm raid on the pantry before bed.

Seems to be working. My goal was to lose 1lb per week, and I've actually lost about 3 lbs per week, and it really hasn't been that difficult (YET). My primary goal is eat healthier.
  • leanne2376
    Options
    exercise and eat healthy :smile:
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I eat 8 meals per day. Every two hours. The reason is because if you wait too long between meals your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I think it can be really harmful to people when others post things like this as definite facts. Many people on this site have never thought about nutrition before, never done any research, weren't given proper information growing up, etc., so they tend to believe whatever as long as it is stated with authority. This is obviously a ridiculous statement, but people who don't know any better might take it to heart and decide that if they don't eat every two hours their body is going to start starving and storing fat. That's ridiculous.

Newer users: Please recognize that the majority of people on these boards are not professional nutritionists, dietitians, trainers, etc. They are mostly people just like you. So take everything you read with a grain of salt, ask for references, and do your own research (and get really frustrated when every bit of research you read says something different).

First of all, I doubt what he said is harmful. Second, your 2nd paragraph is a complete contradiction to what you said in the first. The bottom line is that there is research for the "small constant meals" and research against it.. You choose to believe one way and he chooses to believe the other.

Don't forget that he DID lose 50 pounds in 7 months and seemed to do it in a healthy way.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    ^It's not harmful to the body to eat that frequently, but it's harmful in the sense that it's blatantly false information. However, this is the internet, and you don't have to sensor yourself. Fortunately there's enough educated people on here to call BS
    4. My healthy pizza (I love this) : 1 flat out low cal bread, pizza sauce (only 30 cals for 1/4 cup) and a shredded mozerella cheese stick (70 cals or less depending) Then you can add mushrooms etc. POP in toaster oven or oven until cheese is melted. I love pizza and this satisfies me without all the extra grease and calories.

That sounds delicious!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that there is research for the "small constant meals" and research against it.. You choose to believe one way and he chooses to believe the other.

Is there research that controls for energy balance, showing that smaller meals have increased thermogenesis?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    hookers and blow....