Avoiding free food at work?

Options
1235»

Replies

• nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There are donuts in our kitchenette EVERYDAY!! And....my desk is the closest to them. :)
    If you really want something, then fit it in your calories for the day. If you aren't depriving yourself, then they eventually lose their allure....I RARELY have any of the stuff that's at the office anymore. Mind you, I couldn't say that when there was halloween candy here. But I fit in my 2 little chocolate bars (or 4) everyday and I've still been on track with my weight loss.

The less you stress about the food, the less of a hold it has on you. :)
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you've p*ssed somone off and your co-workers are trying to poison you. Just remember that.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just bring my own food and pre-log my entire day so I know ahead of time that I have no room to eat any of that junk people brought in. Unless I DO want it, and in that case I still pre-log and work the rest of my food around the junk.

This is exactly what I do.

I can usually trust that if I have an early morning meeting and my boss says they'll be providing "breakfast," it actually means he'll be picking up a tray of donuts. Crap food is easy to bring to work. Bring your own.

I do this too! Log everything in the morning. It really helps me stick to it!
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I find it easy, when people bring in things they've made themselves, not to eat them. Mostly because I've tried eating some of the things people have brought in themselves and it was AWFUL. Plus, you just don't know what's in it, where it's been, how they cook, how clean their house is, etc. Not to be rude, you just don't, lol.
  • LoveRagdolls
    Options
    There were free donut holes offered at a meeting this morning, and I didn't have ANY!! I felt so great. Then right after, a coworker offered me a piece of birthday cake, and I did accept a very small slice for that. Made me even happier that I didn't have the donut holes!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My workplace has a lot of free food available on a regular basis. Treats for meetings. Treats for birthdays and other special occasions. With my sweet tooth, I am having a terrible time saying no to these treats! Any advice?

I have just walked past free iced sugar cookies three times today. That's what you have to do, just keep walking past it! Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There were free donut holes offered at a meeting this morning, and I didn't have ANY!! I felt so great. Then right after, a coworker offered me a piece of birthday cake, and I did accept a very small slice for that. Made me even happier that I didn't have the donut holes!

birthday cake > donuts

:drinker:
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If I really want it, I tell myself that if it's there at the end of the day, I can eat some. It's worked really well because usually it's gone by the end of the day, and if it's there and I can avoid it, I just go home... and if I still really want it, I eat a little :) It works. You have to live your life :)
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    before you go into the area with the treats, start chewing a piece of mint gum. This way you're already chewing on something and the flavor will make it so any treats you try to eat afterwards don't taste so good
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Will power. I chew a ton of sugarless gum too..
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Eat them and exercise more.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Passing wind when the food is offered helps. Passing wind on the food itself also helps.
  • Mary6955
    Options
    I just bring my own food and pre-log my entire day so I know ahead of time that I have no room to eat any of that junk people brought in. Unless I DO want it, and in that case I still pre-log and work the rest of my food around the junk.

Pre-logging is a great idea. I'm going to try that.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What helps me is that I hate eating infront of strangers or people I work with. Therefore I tend to do the polite thing and grab less infront of them. But when I am relaxed, the hardest thing to resist are the sandwiches! I tend to be more choosy with the rest of the food. If it is chocolate, I tend to just pick one or two that I really crave. Luckily there are usually a couple that look nice but I know I won't miss out if I skip them.

If I know in advance, I make sure I have a small breakfast incase I go over with the calories. I also try and imagine how much I will eat so I prepare mentally for how many calories I will consume.

I definitely know where you are coming from though as I find myself in similar situations.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Another division in my office building was having a bake sale for donations RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WORK AREA. So I came on here to plan out my entire day and worked it around allowing myself a small strawberry cupcake, because it's very hard for me to say no to a cupcake! (At least I'm good at only having ONE if offered! :wink: )
  • slobkitten
    Options
    If it's something you don't actually want to eat, here are my strategies for it:

1. Stay physically away from it if you can.
    2. Chew gum
    3. Drink a lot of water
    4. Think of all the germs that might be on it from coworkers handling it.

Even if you want some, but only want a little bit, take what you want, and then walk away from the supply. Good luck!

this!!
    you just have to say no and ignore it. a lot of people leave things near my desk like sugary donuts, chocolate, crisps etc and i just move them into the kitchen out of my sight and ignore them. if you're craving something sweet take some fruit in, that'll do the trick! if you can look into buying a graze box, i usually snack on them when everyone else is eating so i don't feel left out but i get healthy snacks while they don't!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I work for a huge corporation but our division is pretty small. I've just asked the co workers to put the stuff on the back table (furthest spot from my desk). I don't even go back there and look at it.

That said, today I DID enjoy a piece of homemade Pecan COffee Cake, but I adjusted my pre-logged day to fit it in.

For bigger company events I just don't go where the food is. If I have to attend I'll stick to the other side of the room and try to avoid seeing what goodies there are.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    the free food is always bad for you