STARBUCKS!

Options
Hey! So its that time of year again- STARBUCKS HOLIDAY DRINKS! We all know they're not the best option... but we also all know they're delicious and we can't resist (at least I can't).
BUT there are also tricks to make them a little bit healthier!
What are YOUR tricks, or, just what's your Starbucks Holiday treat of choice?! :)
Personally, I love a tall Soy Gingerbread Latte, no whip & no topping - cuts it from approx 230 cals to 160-190 cals! and it stil tastes like gingerbread! and I'm allergic to dairy anyways. ;)

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Oh you best believe I've had my fair share of the pumpkin spice lattes, and I will be soon moving on to the gingerbread ones.

Peppermint mocha used to be my drink of choice, but now I think it's a little bit thick for my tastes. It does not taste good with a nonfat milk or any of the sugar free syrups, because the combo of chocolate and coffee is very bitter without enough sugar and fat to back it up.

This isn't super fun, but the best coffee drink for a low calorie option is the cafe misto. It's a no-nonsense coffee and milk combo that only tastes a little bit bitter, but not as bitter as espresso drinks. It doesn't have syrup or flavors. It's good and perks me up and tastes good, but it's not as exciting as the more novelty drinks.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Tall Skinny Peppermint Mocha, 100 calories.
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    Tall Skinny Peppermint Mocha, 100 calories.

mmmmm
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    bump!
  • stupxdgxrl
    stupxdgxrl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh Starbucks is my weakness, especially during this season. I tend to just hold the whip cream. I can't stand to drink any of the modified "Skinny" versions. They taste like poison to me :( *whines*
  • Richardcag
    Richardcag Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    EggNogg Latte WAS my weakness, but I will resist this year as 353 calories is not going to work :-(
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky that I hate girly coffee.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My tips: take a smaller size or take fewer pumps of syrup.

My favorite holiday drink is a grande peppermint mocha. If I take it as per their standard recipe, it's over 410 calories, and 15 g of fat.

So I have them customize it. I take it non-fat milk, no whip, and just one pump each of the peppermint and the mocha (their standard recipe has 4 pumps of each).

This brings it down to under 200 calories, and most of those are from milk, and very little fat.

ETA - I don't ask for the 'skinny' sugar free syrups. They are effing gross. I'd rather not have the drink at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    White Chocolate Peppermint is my favorite!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I hate whip so I never get it. Otherwise I drink my Pumpkin Spiced Lattes as they come. It is a treat and I don't see any need to mess with it.
  • Casfarren
    Casfarren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    so first of all, I work at Starbucks so trust me, I understand the temptation! I get them all for free when I am at work so that makes it especially difficult, but it also means that I know all of the secrets!!!!!!

First of all,
    EggNogg Latte WAS my weakness, but I will resist this year as 353 calories is not going to work :-(

When you feel like treating yourself, consider this. Our typical recipe for the Eggnog Latte is to cut 2/3 real eggnog with 1/3 milk...when you ask for Nonfat, we will use nonfat. But what you can also do is ask for different proportions. Switching things around and doing 2/3 NF milk and 1/3 Eggnog will still give you a good eggnogg taste will alot less calories! Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Another great option for people who like the drinks but don't want as many calories is to order a Short! Many people don't realize that this is an option but it is for any hot drink we make. it is only 8oz and satisfies the cravings for the taste without as much stuff. It also will still give you the same amount of caffeine as a tall because they both have a full shot of espresso in them.

Finally, someone mentioned getting a misto and that is a fantastic idea! It cuts down on the amount of milk in the drink which is going to cut the calories a bit. If you are worried about increasing the amount of caffeine, because believe it or not brewed coffee has more caffeine than a shot of espresso, you can do an Americano misto....shots of espresso with hot water and milk. Same diff but less caffeine. You can also ask to add a pump or two of syrup to a misto to give it a bit of sweetness too. One of my favorites is a Misto with Christmas blend, Nonfat milk, and 2 pumps of gingerbread syrup.

If you have any questions about anything Starbucks related feel free to add me! I love Starbucks and am really interested in helping my friends find healthy alternatives to our products!
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Skinny Peppermint Mocha (grande)!!!! At only 130 calories I can have one everyday :heart:
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    try to be as lightas i can with the drinks...

this year i may have to drop the egg nog lattie
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Chai lattes are a favourite, best I can do is just get a tall and with fat-free milk.
    Egglog lattes are loaded. Get some eggnog from the grocery store and pour it in your coffee at home. It's cheaper, you can control the cals and it tastes just as good (imo).
  • mangoos
    mangoos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance,but what is a "Short"?
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Only one drink for me in Starbucks;
    Large white americano. :smile:
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance,but what is a "Short"?

It is Starbucks extra small size, I think it's 8oz, and a tall is 12oz.
  • carneson3
    Options
    Straight up refuse to give up my Starbucks!! I have made concessions in so many other areas that this one I refuse to budge on. If I want my venti iced WCM no fat no whip (460 calories) I get it and adjust my day accordingly...work out more, plan meals differently, etc.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Nothing can keep me away from my Venti Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino!
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Peppermint and coffee? shudders

Love my gingerbread latte though, a real treat