My personal quest on 1200 calories

Options
People have been going back and forth with the 1200 threads. Everything is about trials and tribulations......... and this is my personal experience.
15 months ago, I would of been on here yelling " yes you can lose weight on 1200-1300 calories", because I was doing it. Worked for me. What happened after 9 months? Well I lost 74 lbs, I was skinnier!Yey! Then I Plateaued for 7-8 months hell even gained 20 lbs back....Found Dan, followed IPORM, did some research and soul searching ( haha not really) got off that damn treadmill, picked up the weights and increased my calories to 1900-2400.

Me after 9 months on
1200-1300 calories:

Lost 70-ish lbs
Lost ALOT of muscle
little to no energy
some conditioning as I was doing all treadmill
little to no edurance
1-2 jumping jacks before I thought I was going to die
1 burpee
My hair thinned out so bad
loose saggy skin
Came near fainting more than once
went from size 24 to18
Shirts womens 4x to 2x
Squat 35lbs
Dead lift..what is that?
Bench Press 25lbs
Planks..in my dreams
Push up...yea right, butt in the air if that counts
Clean Squat and Press.....yea....um never
Leg Presses 80lbs
I couldnt eat "anything" I wanted, I was always in fear that I would gain weight.

Me currently on 1900-2400 calories
Gained 10lbs in 4 weeks! yikes!
Working on rebuilding and gaining muscle& strength
For once I dont feel tired and drained
For someone my size I kick *kitten* at gym....
30 miles non stop on my bike
100 juming jacks in a row and I feel greaaaattttt
10-12 burpees in a row
My hair is still thin, but I can feel it stronger and doesnt break as easy
skin is slowly adjusting and tightening
No fainting or anything
size 16-14, some 12's
womens shirts 1x-L
Squat 245lbs
Dead lift 225lbs
Bench Press 135lbs
Planks.....like a breeze
10push ups, still working on better form
Clean Squat and Press 95lbs
Leg Presses 450lbs
I can eat like an adult, no more "diet".... no more fearing a burger or a pizza. There are times when I pig out, then weigh in day comes and I still lose .5lb

So you see, yes you can lose weight on 1200 calories, it worked for me for some time. You decide what your goals are. I still have alot of fat to lose, I no longer obsess over the scale. I still run/ jog on the treadmill, I cycle on my bike, but the weights and barbells are my calling. One thing I've learned is that just because you are "skinner" than me, does not mean you are stronger or healthier than me.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif
  • sarahmaren
    Options
    I LOVE this! Thank you for sharing your story. I have been on a wicked plateau for MONTHS and just this week started heavy lifting with my trainer. In TWO sessions I feel like a whole new person. I still run, I still count calories but I can't live my life being afraid of my scale or of eating! I lost 65 pounds on a medically monitored extreamly low calorie diet. I plateaued at the end of August and haven't broken through it yet. My scale just tells me my relationship with gravity... nothing else. Being able to be strong is SO much more important than being "skinny." I don't want to be a weakling who is tired all the time. I want the energy and the strength. Happy I'm not the only one. :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Squat #245? That's awesome.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I think a lot of people on here need to hear this!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Interesting...whatever works for ya!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you weigh.
    When I started out I didn't know how much to eat either. I started out on another site too, and all of the people I talked to ate 1200-1400 calories a day. So I did too.
    Only...I didn't take into consideration that I was 20 something and over 250 pounds (and taller) while these people were often older, sometimes shorter and weighed alot less than me! Like 140 or less and were closer to their goal weight.
    Later as I continued to learn about weight loss, and discovered how much to eat I was still afraid to eat more. But then finally I did start eating more.
    I think most of it comes from people thinking they have to not eat anything to lose weight. I remember being in a college class when we were learning about how many calories our body burns in a day. We had to calculate it. Say like 2,000 for example to maintain. Then how many calories makes us gain a pounds...3,500 for everyone. Well, I remember one lady saying...wow how do we lose weight then? Eat nothing?
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight for 9 months - eating around my BMR range minus 100-150cals - Nothing not even 100 grams lost very frustrating
    I have just done michelle bridges 12 weeks - 1200 cals - lost 4kgs, 31cms, GAINED 2 cms on my biceps and lost 31 cms overall and 2 dress sizes.
    Prior to this I would preach the eat more motto - to me it did nothing but help me stay the same - My thoughts - each to their own, whatever works :)
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Amazing story!!! You are rocking your workouts!

I lasted about 3 days on a 1200 calorie diet, lol. Horrible.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you weigh.
    When I started out I didn't know how much to eat either. I started out on another site too, and all of the people I talked to ate 1200-1400 calories a day. So I did too.
    Only...I didn't take into consideration that I was 20 something and over 250 pounds (and taller) while these people were often older, sometimes shorter and weighed alot less than me! Like 140 or less and were closer to their goal weight.
    Later as I continued to learn about weight loss, and discovered how much to eat I was still afraid to eat more. But then finally I did start eating more.
    I think most of it comes from people thinking they have to not eat anything to lose weight. I remember being in a college class when we were learning about how many calories our body burns in a day. We had to calculate it. Say like 2,000 for example to maintain. Then how many calories makes us gain a pounds...3,500 for everyone. Well, I remember one lady saying...wow how do we lose weight then? Eat nothing?
    Yea when I first started I didnt know much either. I just did what MFP recommended. After I plateaued, I didnt understand why I wasnt losing anything anymore....maybe maybe I should eat less and excercise more!!! Nope, didnt work for me either.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at the same weight for 9 months - eating around my BMR range minus 100-150cals - Nothing not even 100 grams lost very frustrating
    I have just done michelle bridges 12 weeks - 1200 cals - lost 4kgs, 31cms, GAINED 2 cms on my biceps and lost 31 cms overall and 2 dress sizes.
    Prior to this I would preach the eat more motto - to me it did nothing but help me stay the same - My thoughts - each to their own, whatever works :)

X-factor and genetics?

You cant gain on a deficit....
    You look amazing but I cant fathom gaining anything on a deficit.
    It's nearly impossible unless you are Obese 2 or 3.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Glad you found what works for you! I've done (and am currently doing) 1200 calories and it works for me. I also work with a trainer twice a week, lifting and I'm building muscle and endurance. I work in cardio as my schedule allows. I enjoy walking more for emotional and stress relieving benefits. Everyone is different. No matter your calorie count if you don't eat lean protein, veggies, fruit and good healthy fats your body is going to be lacking what it needs to stay healthy. Moderation in everything is the way to long term success with anything in life:) Wishing you continued success.
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    Squat #245? That's awesome.
    Yes mam, I think I almost cried that day myself. Never would I ever imagined that I could squat that amount. I use to struggle with 35lb squats!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous and smart :)
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    Glad you found what works for you! I've done (and am currently doing) 1200 calories and it works for me. I also work with a trainer twice a week, lifting and I'm building muscle and endurance. I work in cardio as my schedule allows. I enjoy walking more for emotional and stress relieving benefits. Everyone is different. No matter your calorie count if you don't eat lean protein, veggies, fruit and good healthy fats your body is going to be lacking what it needs to stay healthy. Moderation in everything is the way to long term success with anything in life:) Wishing you continued success.
    Thankyou, much success to you as well :)
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    Gorgeous and smart :)
    Thankyou!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

X-factor and genetics?

You cant gain on a deficit....
    You look amazing but I cant fathom gaining anything on a deficit.
    It's nearly impossible unless you are Obese 2 or 3.

Possibly messed up her hormones or metabolism by eating too low?
    I know it's possible, because it happened to me :/
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Dam you could squat 1 1/2 of me, LOL Your doing and looking great,
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Have you only been lifting for 4 weeks? It says you gained 10# in 4 weeks, but you can deadlift 225?! I've been doing weight training for about 6 weeks and thought I was kicking *kitten* doing 105# deadlifts today! I'm such a wuss :laugh:
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! There are so many people who need to see it. I was miserable eating 1300 calories/day. Sometimes going to bed with my tummy grumbling (some nights so bad I couldn't sleep). Workouts were WEAK and sluggish.

Now I eat around 1800. :)
  • MariaChele85
    Options
    Have you only been lifting for 4 weeks? It says you gained 10# in 4 weeks, but you can deadlift 225?! I've been doing weight training for about 6 weeks and thought I was kicking *kitten* doing 105# deadlifts today! I'm such a wuss :laugh:
    I did body pump for over a year, but with the heavy lifting I started about 12 weeks ago or so...
    When I decided to stop with the barbie weights, I increased the calories and the weights and gained about 10lbs, after your body adjust to the extra calories and protien, my body started to slowly lose that 10lbs, inches started to come off too, slowly of course.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!