Can anyone recommend Kettlebells?

Options
2»

Replies

• vweinman
    vweinman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are awesome. You can get a total body, plus cardio workout little equipment. I have a 20, and a 35 pound. Lots things to do besides the swings. You tube also has some great kettle bell workouts. We do a lot with kettlebells in crossfit.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    thanks vweinman
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    What's all this rubbish about yoga and Paelo vegetarians? Have you Trolls got no homes to go to? :laugh: :heart:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What about pilloxing - it's all the rage.

"PILOXING is an exciting, new inter-disciplinary program that is attracting die hard followers including Hollywood celebrities and international stars. PILOXING uniquely mixes Pilates and boxing moves into a fat torching, muscle sculpting, core-centric interval workout, guaranteed to whip you into shape, using a class format that’s both fun and challenging. PILOXING is the brainchild of Swedish dancer and celebrity trainer Viveca Jensen and the culmination of her mission to physically and mentally empower women through fitness. At the core of PILOXING is the principle that feminine is powerful and it aims for women to attain a sleek, sexy and powerful self-image. PILOXING blends the power, speed and agility of boxing with the beautiful sculpting and flexibility of Pilates. Add to that the fun and sexy dance moves that reflect Viveca’s personality. In addition to Pilates and boxing movements, the exercise incorporates the use of weighted gloves which add to the workout by toning the arms and maximizing cardiovascular health."
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    unlike working out with regular weights kettlebells are unstable so they force you to use a lot more of your muscles. even if you only have one kettlebell you can get a good workout by just doing basic kettlebell swings and some turkish getups...

For something really challenging get yourself a kettlebell a battling rope and a few other pieces of equipment and set up a circuit with 40 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest...

the sweat will be dripping and your heart will be pounding out of your chest.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    What about pilloxing - it's all the rage.

"PILOXING is an exciting, new inter-disciplinary program that is attracting die hard followers including Hollywood celebrities and international stars. PILOXING uniquely mixes Pilates and boxing moves into a fat torching, muscle sculpting, core-centric interval workout, guaranteed to whip you into shape, using a class format that’s both fun and challenging. PILOXING is the brainchild of Swedish dancer and celebrity trainer Viveca Jensen and the culmination of her mission to physically and mentally empower women through fitness. At the core of PILOXING is the principle that feminine is powerful and it aims for women to attain a sleek, sexy and powerful self-image. PILOXING blends the power, speed and agility of boxing with the beautiful sculpting and flexibility of Pilates. Add to that the fun and sexy dance moves that reflect Viveca’s personality. In addition to Pilates and boxing movements, the exercise incorporates the use of weighted gloves which add to the workout by toning the arms and maximizing cardiovascular health."

Sign me up! (I need to get in touch with my feminine side, while kicking butt!)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think I remember a Taebo thread a while back that was pretty awesome. Have you considered Taebo?
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Sign me up! (I need to get in touch with my feminine side, while kicking butt!)

Need help with that Steve? i have a feminine side....it may...or may not...need touching.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells. I use the videos on this website: http://livefitrevolution.org/ (free, but requires signup).

Kettlebell exercises are the first exercises that don't bore the snot outta me. I just can't get myself to do boring exercises, and that's been a huge contribution to my past frustrations with losing weight.

I'm a huge wuss, so I started out with a 25 pounder, but I'm up to a 50 lb bell now for some of the exercises.
    I've heard you get a good cardio, but I can't see how you could if your feet are rooted to the spot and you are just swinging your upper body around. I've heard you get a good strength workout, but I can't see that either as the weight spends most of its time in a weightless swing before you catch up with it at the top of the swing and start the next one.

With regards to cardio, you're always moving. Also, Eff cardio.

With regards to strength, how do you think the weight gets to the upper part of the swing? Your butt - that's how. Gluteal action baby! (hmmm :embarassed: )

Anyway, I did a KB exercise today that had me doing: Swings, one legged Deadlifts, one legged Rows, one legged overhead presses (I suck so hard at these), weighted situps, and situps + presses. I've lost almost 70% of the weight I've lost since starting in with kettlebells. I regard it as a fundamental part of my weight loss tripod (exercise, logging, anti-whiteness).
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells is a great workout!!!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been working out with Kettlebells since April and have been happy with the results. Bodyfat is down and lean muscle mass is up and the range of motion is easier on my body than regular weightlifting. I have bad arthritis in the shoulders and the pressing motion required with barbells/dumbells exacerbates it.

It really depends on what your goals are and what body type you want -- mine is to stay lean and muscular, not bulky and muscular.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    I have a 15K on the way and I'll have a little go with a 10 Litre petrol can tomorrow - don't worry, it'll be full of water! So = 10K.
    Thanks or all the positive feedback.

An' as for you trolls - - - :yawn: :tongue: :laugh:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I think I remember a Taebo thread a while back that was pretty awesome. Have you considered Taebo?

Taebo?! pfft

I'd try pole dancing, you've already got several of the moves down from your yoga practice, right?

* oh, I see you've already gone the kettlebell route..
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I like the Art of Strength series for kettlebell stuff. Look up Anthony DiLugio.

Kettlebells are great, though they lack the incremental adjustment that you get with barbells - to go up in weight, you need to buy a larger bell.