Calling all Coconut oil lovers

Options

Replies

• OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I ♥ Coconut ... Coconut Oil ... Coconut Teas ... Coconut flakes baked on fish / chicken .... Shredded Coconut in my Oatmeal !

Heck ... I even smell like a ... COCONUT !!!! :tongue:

So guess what ... you're NOT crazy ! You just fell in love with one of natures best gifts !

PS .... Super happy we are already friends !

xoxoxoxoxo

:flowerforyou:
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options

PS .... Super happy we are already friends !

xoxoxoxoxo

:flowerforyou:

meeee toooo!
  • Clemsonmom
    Clemsonmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Want to try this! Sounds wonderful!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I remember being VERY grossed out by it when I was a teenager working in the local theater and saw just how much they use to pop their popcorn. Then I remember being grossed out by finding out just how much fat was in the popcorn because of it. Totally disregarded it as an option in everyday life.

Then I found a few articles very recently about its benefits and misconceptions (the whole 90s "fat is bad" movement did it in there for a while in terms of public acceptance) and have been intrigued about it.

Haven't tried it yet, but after reading this thread I think I may.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Options
    I remember being VERY grossed out by it when I was a teenager working in the local theater and saw just how much they use to pop their popcorn. Then I remember being grossed out by finding out just how much fat was in the popcorn because of it. Totally disregarded it as an option in everyday life.

Then I found a few articles very recently about its benefits and misconceptions (the whole 90s "fat is bad" movement did it in there for a while in terms of public acceptance) and have been intrigued about it.

I'm certain that popcorn oil was hydrogenated coconut oil. steer clear of anything hydrogenated.....it's bad, bad, bad!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    When I would use other oils instead of coconut, I wouldn't feel as full. Another cool thing about it is where one would use butter or margarine on toast (or anything), you can instead spread on coconut oil. Tastes great!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just bought some a few days ago. I was wondering, if I use it in a stirfry, but one not really supposed to taste much like coconut, will it overpower the stirfry with coconut taste? Or is pretty mild?
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Love love love my coconut oil! I bought it because I heard it would get rid of the bumps on the back of my arms. It's amazing! I use it on my hair and cook with it too! Going to try to whip it like a body butter and give for gifts!

Bumps are completely gone from arms and legs. I'm so smooth!

Did it get rid of the bumps?

Awesome! I have bumps on the backs of my arms, too, and nothing makes them go away, not even micro-dermabrasion. I'm going to smear on some of my coconut oil and see what happens! Thanks for the tip. I just bought myself a giant tub of Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil from Amazon for $26.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Love coconut oil, i use it to cook, as a moisturiser and i use it when i make my own shampoo and conditioner. It's lovely and beautifully multi-purpose :) so cuts costs on things.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's Extra virgin coconut oil. I love coconut oil and use it to cook all the time!
  • Taralynn555
    Options
    I use coconut oil for much more then just cooking around here! I actually used it as a sunscreen for my babies when they were under six months, to treat their diaper area, any skin problems including eczema! We also use it as a massage oil, it also cleared up my daughters acne on her face and then of course there is cooking! haha
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    I've never tried Coconut Oil before but now after reading all of these positive reviews I need to try it out! :)
  • Nana_Booboo
    Options
    I just bought some a few days ago. I was wondering, if I use it in a stirfry, but one not really supposed to taste much like coconut, will it overpower the stirfry with coconut taste? Or is pretty mild?

a dash of salt will fix thatt
  • SMC_chick
    SMC_chick Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Another use that no one has yet mentioned is for dementia. My father and my hair stylist's parents take 2 tablespoons a day for dementia and they can tell the difference. I often wonder if it would work on my ADD brain.
  • NomNomMom
    NomNomMom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My husband and I've been using coconut oil since January 2012. Great stuff for SO MANY things. The brand I use (and is also the cheapest ) is the LouAna brand - found at Super Walmart in the cooking oil section. You can hardly detect any taste of coconut as this is much more neutral tasting than most of the others. Just make sure when using it internally is that it is the NON-hydrogenated kind with NO transfats. Also, you want to start with only a teaspoon or so at a time to build up to it so you don't get an upset stomach or cramps.

I use up to 3 Tablespoons a day. Good for hair, skin, and even found a great recipe for my own homemade deodorant! I was skeptical but it really does work and no, it does NOT leave an oily mess or stain on your shirts! It is Nature's miracle I say...Too many good things to list here but I swear I will never stop using it. We started using it originally for a possible cure for fighting the onslaught against Alzheimer's disease. We had nothing to lose and only hope to gain from using it. Alzheimer's Disease runs in my husbands family and so we thought it was worth a shot. My mother-in-law died this year from it and it was horrible watching her disease progress for over 10 years.
    I also have a LOT more energy since I started using it. We've completely stopped using margarine & use it in place of my EVOO as salad dressing with a bit of balsamic vinegar. I also found a recipe for making homemade chocolate bars using the oil with pure cocoa powder. I haven't tried it yet but will be very soon.

Sorry this was so long but I can't say enough good things about coconut oil.
  • danc3oflife
    Options
    I need to give this a try...thanks everyone!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options

I'm certain that popcorn oil was hydrogenated coconut oil. steer clear of anything hydrogenated.....it's bad, bad, bad!

Ah, yes, that would make quite a bit of sense. It was pretty nasty stuff.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    hi everyone, i have never used it before. heard a friend of a friend was using it. has anyone used it for stretch marks???
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm a now and then coconut oil lover and user. You motivated me to use it more. My skin and hair really loves it. But I don't use a lot if fat for cooking and if, mostly olive oil. But I will try the tea/coffee thing and others... Thank you! And coconutlovers please add me if you like to keep me motivated in using it!! Thanks!
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    thanks for enlightening me, I had never heard of it! I'm going to google now and see where I can get in australia, I have ridiculously dry hair & skin, and I buy coconut conditioner, but never knew you could buy it as an oil, and cook with it. I love coconut milk and have that a lot so I think the taste would be no problem for me. Thanks for post :)