Naturally thin people who look down/make fun?

Options

Replies

• angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Now that I am in my late 30s, I have come to the conclusion that there aren't too many women older than their early 20s who are naturally thin. People might say they eat whatever they want, but what is it that they want to eat? Tonnes of salad? They might eat a cheeseburger in front of you, but I am dubious about whether they eat junk food the rest of the day. Most of the really skinny women I know don't eat much at all. I also find they won't admit that is the case. I am super skinny now and it takes a fair bit of effort.

There is a fair bit of competitiveness about it. I find it is the really thin women and the overweight ones who say 'you aren't losing more weight are you?'. It is more about them protecting their own position, than you.
    True, I think it's just a young people thing. After that it catches up with you. And that's a good point, a lot of my friends who say they eat what they want are really good at eating a few bites and then stopping. Contrarily to me, when I used to eat fast food I would NEVER leave leftovers. Lol.

And agreed, that makes sense.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    They pay for it later on in life......
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Sooner or later it'll catch up to them.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In my experience most naturally thin people don't actually eat THAT much.

They will say "oh, but I eat loads" - but it's rare their portions will come close to mine.
    And when they do have a big portion, they've probably missed a meal or two that day - while in reality I can have had a big breakfast, nice decently sized lunch then still go for a whole large pizza in the evening.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    we don't eat junk all the time. well i certainly don't (and you can definitely call me naturally thin). i feel great and healthy when i eat healthy but the truth is, excess calories make you fat.
    naturally thin people just don't stuff themselves, they are smarter with food and stop eating when they're full.
    so this thin person will order a cheeseburger or pizza, eat until they're full and eat again when they get hungry.
    So don't trust people who say that they eat a lot and stay thin. They have no idea that they actually don't eat that much.
    Next time, watch a skinny person's eating habits and a fat person's eating habits (the one that's not trying to lose weight i mean)
    you will notice a huge difference.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Those attitudes and habits will definitely catch up with them if they haven't already! Also, just because they are thin doesn't mean they are fit or healthy (or happy!). There are plenty of people who are "skinny fat" with plenty of health and fitness deficits!
    I agree

When I was still fat, I used to envy those people who can eat all the unhealthy foods anytime & how much they want w/o gaining a gram but later on I realized that they are in greater health risks than fat people who are fit. Just because they are skinny doesn't mean they are fit.

http://www.liftingrevolution.com/being-skinny-fat-could-be-more-dangerous-than-being-obese/
    This says it all
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I don't let it bother me because even though they may be thinner...I"M HEALTHIER. That kind of eating and lack of exercise will catch up with them one day when they develop heart disease, diabetes, high BP, etc....they mistakenly think that THIN equals HEALTHY and it DOESN'T!!

i don't mean to offend you or anything but i freakin' hate when people do this. The fact that you're watching what you eat does not mean that you are in any way better than people who just eat whatever. You're comparing yourself to them and assuming you're healthier and arrogantly saying that they will develop diabetes one day.
    A lot of health conscious people have this terrible habit.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I also don't think there are 'naturally thin' people. I used to think I was one of those 'naturally thin' people as I never even thought about weight or food at all til my mid 20s, I was just really slim. I ate junk, and a lot of it and also drank alcohol a lot, especially when I was a student.. Looking back, though, the reason I was thin was because I walked everywhere (couldn't afford a car or even a bus) and went clubbing about three times a week (so was dancing for hours.) I was incredibly active so was just burning it all off.

I first put a bit of weight on when I went to study in the States when I was 21. We got a bus pass and people just didn't walk anywhere, plus the food portions were huge. I'd never had to think about portion control so put a few pounds on, but lost it all when I came back the UK and started walking again. I really started to put weight on when I learned to drive 12 years ago and carried on eating the same rubbish food but without walking it off. Now I am active again but finding I do need to watch my cals to lose weight as I am older.

Those 'naturally thin' people are either really eating a lot of junk but are young and very active so burn it off, or else they eat a bit of junk but know when to stop. And I agree with other posters, ignore them - their snide remarks say more about them than you :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Sooner or later it'll catch up to them.

I think thin people can run faster than fat people so IT will catch the fat people first and wont need to catch the thin people
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Don't worry honey... it will all catch up to them. They may be thin, but they aren't healthy. Those are the people who will have high cholesterol, high blood pressure and potentially other health problems. Some of the thinnest people I know have had massive heart attacks so, I would rather be running at the gym and eating right and getting healthy than be naturally thin knowing it is just a matter of time before their bad choices catch up to them.
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to judge anyone's health based on a few cursory interactions with them. If that was the case, then I would be an anorexic, gym-obsessed, health-conscious fatty since my co-workers never see me eat, people at the gym only see me workout, family sees me making healthy, home-cooked meals, and people at restaurants see me eating cheeseburgers and fries. The truth of the matter is that I am, and most people in life are, AVERAGE. Just because someone talks about eating whatever they want doesn't mean that they want to eat gut-busting foods all the time. Just because they don't want to go to the gym doesn't mean they don't exercise.

Moreover, people, especially women, tend to be secretive about their habits because we are supposed to be "naturally thin" for whatever reason. Think about it: what woman (other than maybe those of us who have let ourselves go only to put in extra hard efforts to get back to a normal weight) would want to admit that they have to work out daily or that they have to compensate for "bad" meals with a day of salad and broth? Heck, I've worked hard to drop sixty pounds, and I'm still not going to share my sweat and tears with anyone but my closest RL friends in addition to the anonymity of here.

I know it is frustrating to think that people just get good genes, and I have felt that way, too. But, the only person you are hurting with this subtle judging and subsequent frustration is yourself. So, don't dwell on it. Just let it go.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Now that I am in my late 30s, I have come to the conclusion that there aren't too many women older than their early 20s who are naturally thin. People might say they eat whatever they want, but what is it that they want to eat? Tonnes of salad? They might eat a cheeseburger in front of you, but I am dubious about whether they eat junk food the rest of the day. Most of the really skinny women I know don't eat much at all. I also find they won't admit that is the case. I am super skinny now and it takes a fair bit of effort.

There is a fair bit of competitiveness about it. I find it is the really thin women and the overweight ones who say 'you aren't losing more weight are you?'. It is more about them protecting their own position, than you.

Very true...and...I would add that it depends on what they enjoy eating. For example...if I was told that I could never have takeout or chocolate ever again I could deal with it. Nuts and cheese...then I'd have a problem. :-)

I'm not condoning people who look down/make fun of the eating habits of others, just sayin' that 'I can eat anything' means different things to different people. Teenage boy versus my 79 year old MIL...different
  • paparazzijo
    Options
    My thoughts exactly....
  • beccannes
    Options
    When I was a teenager I as a "naturally thin" person and I could eat whatever I wanted w/out it touching me. I did not have the attitude that you are describing these girls have, that is horrible! At any rate *trust me when I saw this* it WILL catch up to them - I am living proof:) Once I had my 3 kiddos my metabolism slowed down and I started gaining weight. The benefit you have in all of this is you are learning how to live a healthier lifestyle early, these girls will not know what hit them. Not to mention there is a difference between being thin and being thin & healthy, just because you are thin does not make you healthy.
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends / flatmates is exactly like that. He's stick thin and eats junk ALL of the time. He's constantly encouraging me NOT to eat healthily, and if I mention controlling my calories or going to the gym he looks at me like I'm an idiot.

His mum was the same as him when she was young though, and it suddenly caught up with her - I'm kind of hoping we're still friends then!
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    Yeah, that crap bothers me as well...

I wonder how their blood work compares to mine though...

Preventing Heart attacks and strokes doesn't just come from being thin--it depends on heredity and eating habits as well.

Edit: although I eat like crap on the weekends too and can now maintain healthy blood work and weight...everything in moderation is key... but still. Don't taunt it or make fun of people--that isn't cool!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    They may be thin, but eating unhealthy has unseen to the naked eye effects upon our bodies. I'm going for healthy inside and out including my arteries and heart. I find that the good foods taste much better than a greasy cheese burger type meal most days. Most... there are times I could go for a great 'bar burger'.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I think you're taking these comments personally when they are not met to be.

Yes, there are naturally skinny people. A girl I grew up with is one of them. She eats and eats and eats trying to put on the weight, she was bullied at her school for being so skinny. She came in to our house one day and proudly told everyone she was a size 2 finally, one size up. It didn't last long she was back to a zero in no time. One day it may catch up with her but, I don't think she complain.
  • daryabella
    Options
    I used to be someone who was naturally thin and would say those kinds of things. I wasn't trying to make fun or be rude. I just genuinely didn't understand why people would only have a salad for lunch and hated working out! Now that I've gotten older and my metabolism has changed, I realize that some people (myself included) have to watch it and work out regularly if they want to stay slim. I never used to have to try, so I just didn't understand.

So in sum, I don't think they're trying to be rude, they just don't get it.

Exactly this.
  • caseysexton5
    caseysexton5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely envious of those who are able to eat what they want and stay thin. But it seems like everyone's reply has been right on the money- if they're being meanies about it, that's their problem. YOU know what's right for your body and what makes you happy and healthy. Most people are just so self centered they're unable to fathom that other people don't operate the same way as them. I'm sorry if you've been hurt by some harsh tongued people. No one should act above another, regardless of weight, gender, race, etc etc!