Do MFP friends really help you lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes it helps you if your doing what your suppose to do with MFP. If your keeping to your calories by eating healthy foods and exercising then how can you not lose weight??? Plus having support of friends on MFP helps too. How dedicated are you to this promgram is a better question....
  • tpayne0453
    Options
    This is my new Facebook. Seriously, I told myself when I got back on the wagon a few weeks ago that I would check and post to MFP before getting onto FB....Is totally working! But I think alot of it has to do with the type of friends you add. I have some friends that post the "nice-ities", but I have others that tell me to get my lazy butt up off the couch and move or to put the cheeseburger down! I love it and intend on being here for quite a while.

Everyone - feel free to add me!!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    :smile: that's def. another good point right there!!!

Another added bonus of MFP friends: you don't have to make a Facebook post every time you go to the gym and drive everyone on your FB friends list crazy. MFP friends tend to be equally obsessed with eating right and working out, so I don't feel like I'm irritating people by posting every last detail of my workouts or eating issues. :-)
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely for me! I have tried many times to lose weight on my own and barely last more than a couple of weeks before I give up. Having the support on here from friends that are also losing weight has been fantastic, I love to see how they are going and they in turn inspire me to get up and move and to eat healthy. I have been here two months now and lost 7kg (15lbs), I couldn't have done it without them.
  • kymw
    kymw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think the community helps, if I have questions, I can get great answers and help....and hope! I love that I never have to feel alone-and it is kind of take what you need-if you need lots of help and support, you can get it, or you can just come on and quietly read boards and get support too!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Well I have to say yes and no. I do have self motivation and the desire to maintain my weight, but I do get get bored of it sometimes and take too many breaks. So with my friends constantly posting their workouts, I feel lazy when i don't log exercise regularly. I also get workout ideas from them, like 30 Shred, I loved it.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i would say, mfp friends keeps me consistent. the support works and keeps me on going
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I don't have any MFP friends. Does it really help with the weightloss?

It depends on your personality. I've been doing just fine without any, but you need to be very disciplined to log your diet and exercise daily. For me, the logging features are what keeps me on track, others mileage may vary.
  • srwildeman
    Options
    I think having accountability is important to keeping motivated.
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Most definitely/ Also the message board are full of information. i have truly learned a great deal about food and exercise from the people here. Also, logging everything makes me feel more in control and like I won't just start eating everything from not paying attention. The mfp friends keep me focused on that I'm trying to make a whole lifestyle change with respect to healthy eating and living.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Most definitely/ Also the message board are full of information. i have truly learned a great deal about food and exercise from the people here. Also, logging everything makes me feel more in control and like I won't just start eating everything from not paying attention. The mfp friends keep me focused on that I'm trying to make a whole lifestyle change with respect to healthy eating and living.

Yea, the forums are really great. Especially the Success Stories help me maintain motivation. I hope to put my own story on there eventually. ;D
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i say yes, definitely. but i was already a huge facebook junkie before this so i'm used to the format. it's a distraction from food and keeps reminding you that you have goals.

also it feels nice to know that people are paying attention to you and trying to help. i don't have anyone like that in real life i would be too embarrassed to ask my friends for constant support. none of them really have weight problems or if they have food issues they deal with them in unhealthy ways like starvation.

there are athletes and trainers on here giving good advice which is cool
    that and all of the above!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's not even so much the support and "great job!" comments, it's seeing people progress with their weightloss. The 'Success Stories' board is great, but you don't get to see that person's good and bad days like you do your MFP friends.

A few of my MFPals started at a similar weight, and started around the same time as me, so when I see them continually doing well with their eating and exercise, it motivates me to "catch up". I guess It's my competitive nature, but it works for me.
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Being a person who likes to 'go it alone', I have found my friends to be a great source of help...especially when I am not in to mood to work out in the evening.

...Peer pressure has never been so noble!
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I started on here in March. The only friend I had was my Mom and I didn't use the message boards. I lasted about 10 days before falling off the wagon.

I came back in May, I found friends and used the message boards-- and 3 months later, I'm going strong.
    Not only do the friends give you support & motivation (and vice versa), but it holds you accountable too.

Ditto this
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would say yes cause I feel I can be more open on here with struggles of weight loss on here compared to facebook. It's cause we all are on here for the same purpose to become happier with ourselves. I like getting motivation and support from my MFP friends when I'm stressed to my max and want to eat junk to help push me not to.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't have any MFP friends. Does it really help with the weightloss?

As in actually directly making you lose weight, no.

Calories in < Calories out helped me lose weight plus moving about more.

HOWEVER! they do motivate me to commit to the above therein indirectly assisting in my weightloss. it is also comforting to know that you aren't the only ompa lompa and that you can change that and lead a healthier lifestyle.

I love my MFP friends :)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Only I can help myself lose more weight, but my friends are there to help me celebrate when I have a good day or commiserate when I have a bad day. Just like I'm there for them. I love that I have a place to go to talk about food and weight loss. My FB and Twitter friends aren't the same as my MFP friends.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    No. Only you can help yourself. It is a good support system though.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I look at their diary for ideas but thats about it.