No kids here, but if you do, I have a question for you.

Options

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    No, I make healthy meals for my whole family, with treats occasionally. If anything i keep an eye on them getting enough cals, they are skinny little things who don't stop moving anyway.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    no way! i can barely keep up with my own let alone 2 other human beings! they eat whatever. :)
  • TaniaCorric
    TaniaCorric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My (almost) 3 year old is over weight (44lbs 40"), always has been big since birth and it's been a constant stress for me trying to keep her calorie consumption down. I dont count her calories per se, maybe I should, just try to stop her eating too much. She will literally spend all day every day begging for food and i'm constantly having to say no it's a nightmare. It's very hard to explain to her why she can't be eating all the time though, she's not old enough to understand why i'm saying no.

29861244.png

i have 3 girls and all 3 went through this faise ( they r very small though) i just allways offered friut or carrot sticks and they soon grow out of it, oh and give them plenty of water as thirst can be confused as hunger
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a kind of unusual situation here. Both of my kids have been significantly under weight so I watch to make sure they are eating enough. They were premies (twins) and have had a hard time taking in enough food at times. We try to not make a big deal out of it but make meal times more fun and exciting so they will want to eat but don't push if they are really done.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    No but I make sure they have healthy snack with some stuff not so healthy mixed in. If they want something sweet they might get it for desert in moderation.
  • luxxeey
    Options
    I just don't buy junk food that much and when I do I make sure they eat atleast a something healthy before.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just make sure to feed them the right stuff. They are both healthy (only my baby just started on baby food :tongue:) so there hasn't been a reason to.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    No, I don't, neither of my kids is even slightly overweight. Haha, my sons friends( they are 14) take pictures of his muscles!! My dtr needs encouragement to stay active, and loves having a nice figure. She understands that as she gets older healthy food choices will be a must. I have been teaching her to read food labels, watch prices etc at the store when we go. I think it is about education and that needs to start early.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I just spent the last 45 minutes or so reading the last 3 or 4 pages of responses, from where I left off previously. Either I'm a slow reader, or I really wanted to dissect all the responses, probably a combination of both. There are some really really interesting responses. Thanks you!
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Noo...but he's only 4. If he was overweight when he's a but older then maybe but he's a little bean pole.
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't count his calories and probably never will. kids are so active they are always burning burning burning calories. my kid is skinny as skinny can be even though he eats like a cow. he is like his father in that sense.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Interesting here you should mention breast feeding for the first year of life to help prevent obesity I jhave 5 and breast fed for first 3 years each and also no obesity or denrtal problems!I wonder if there a connection??
    Ohh-hell no! The last thing I want is for my kids to have eating disorders:( I give them healthy meals. They eat what they want from the meal. I never use the clean your plate or take another bite tactic. If they say they are full they are excused. The food goes in the trash. They are offered something healthy the next time they are hungry. I let them eat junk food too because I want them to learn how to eat it moderately now. I make sure they get a lot of exercise. We play outside a lot, go to the park, jump on the bed, and dance. Teaching them a healthy lifestyle so they don't have to learn the hard way :) ps My selfish reason for breastfeeding each of my children for their first year of life was to protect them from obesity. Good question. I'm interested in the other answers.
    I am a certified lactation consultant. Research does show that breastfeeding reduces the risk of -obesity, diabetes, allergies, dental problems,childhood cancers, gastrointestinal problems, ear infections, and sids (note-reduces risk, not completely prevents).
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most. I wasn't taught how to care for my body. My daughter is 14 and is very active in helping me with my lifestyle changes and is learning herself. She is at a perfect weight and we talk about exercising and how it keeps your weight where it should be. I think more parents need to educated their kids.
    education and calorie counting are two different things. we talk about how to eat healthy. they have never had any issues until exercise became an issue with college. they have a healthy relationship with food which is something my parents were not able to provide for reasons i wont go into.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't. My daughter is almost 7, she weighs around 55lbs. She doesn't look fat at all, she is rock solid though. My son is 4, weighs 32-34lbs. He was 22lbs at 4 months old. He needs 5T jeans for his length, but can still fit in 2T for waist. He is tall and skinny. I have been more aware of what they eat. I was chubby as a kid and I don't want them to go through the teasing like I did.
  • lisag2007
    Options
    My child is two....at that picky eater stage. I try to watch his sugar intake...cookies and things like that. But if I get him to eat half of each meal he sits down to, I am happy. I also give him very little juice. Maybe once or twice a week and highly dluted with water. He sees me walking on the treadmill and when he sees me put my running shoes on, he says "Let's run, Momma.". So he knows or is learning exercise is a good thing and fun, so hopefully he will keep it up with me as he gets older. As far as calorie counting...no. I have a hard enough time doing that for myself. Besides, how do I know what I give him goes in his mouth or the dogs? LOL
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do for my son as he has a little bit of a weight issue that he wishes to correct with modified diet and exercise. My daughter is blessed with a great metabolism so she gets away with eating anything/everything.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ohh-hell no! The last thing I want is for my kids to have eating disorders:( I give them healthy meals. They eat what they want from the meal. I never use the clean your plate or take another bite tactic. If they say they are full they are excused. The food goes in the trash. They are offered something healthy the next time they are hungry. I let them eat junk food too because I want them to learn how to eat it moderately now. I make sure they get a lot of exercise. We play outside a lot, go to the park, jump on the bed, and dance. Teaching them a healthy lifestyle so they don't have to learn the hard way :) ps My selfish reason for breastfeeding each of my children for their first year of life was to protect them from obesity. Good question. I'm interested in the other answers.
    Me too...almost exactly
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am not judgmental, I am just seriously curious. Do you count your child's calories?, or watch over there calorie intake?. I'm not referring to grown children, no longer at home, but if you still have little ones at home, how do you decide what to do, and what factors go into your decision making?

Once again, I'm not hear to judge, I'm just curious!

Thank you.

I have a 3 year old boy and I DO NOT count calories for him, that is absurd to me. LOL I provide him with healthy meals, and yes he doesnt always eat healthy but he is a toddler and their bodies and metabolisms are different then ours. If he says he is full at any meal or simply that he doesnt want to eat anymore I in no way make him finish all his food before he can get down. I hated that as a kid and forcing a child to eat more when they are full is just stupid.
  • Lalamontour
    Options
    no way. I have two teenage boys and they are very skinny.I actually wish they would eat more. but if they are not hungry that is ok too
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I'm not anywhere close to having kids right now (at least 10 more years), but I have thought about this before.

No calorie/ macro counting until 15-16 (aka moving from general intramurals to fitness & team playing), but they will -always- be eating healthy in my household & making the right food choices from birth on.