Female Calves... don't like mine

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I would not consider 13.5 inch calves to be huge at all. That's actually about average.

I think I probably got into comparing to the females I see around who seem to have little muscle at all on their legs, aka, models and those who obviously are genetically predisoposed to having smaller legs. :/
    Those women are either starving themselves or have small frames that usually have longer legs which gives the appearance of lanky legs. Not to sound rude here but to be honest, I don't find it sexy at all.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have 16 inch calves. I have never exercised them exclusively when I weight train, it's all genetics. 13.5 inches is pretty average. You are stuck with them, so learn to love them.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I would not consider 13.5 inch calves to be huge at all. That's actually about average.

I think I probably got into comparing to the females I see around who seem to have little muscle at all on their legs, aka, models and those who obviously are genetically predisoposed to having smaller legs. :/
    Please do not compare yourself to others - especially models who have well-below average lean body mass due to malnutrition.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    i feel yout pain. my calves are big and gross and i hate them. finding boots is a nightmare but when i do find a pair that fit i buy them regardless of price because i KNOW i'll wear them. i just roll my eyes and hope they get smaller as the reat of.me continues to do so. things could be worse i suppose.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2.5" and in my 130's and I have 14 3/4 inch calves...and like 9 inch ankles. I'm a runner and most of my lifting is body weight and dumbbells (10-15 lbs mostly...I need to get some bigger weights). Anyhow, your legs can't look any worse than mine as far as big calves go.
  • gaveupheart
    gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2 and have 14.5 inch calves.. i really want to lose my body fat weight and hope even losing 1 inch will help me find boots that fit!
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've got 17 inchers here... I've never really trained mine either, all genetics.. with lots of definition.
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't care for my calves either. I'm not sure of the actual size of them, but when I went boot shopping a few years back. I found out that boots are not made for big calves. The lady told me I had to get boots that are considered wide shaft boots, meaning the circumfrence of the boot at the top is bigger to accomodate my large calves.

I found a pair of boots 2 years ago, but can't seem to find any now that will fit, even with a wide shaft boot.

I'm going to measure my calves tomorrow.

Good luck, if you go out shopping for tall boots!!
  • btkkterry
    Options
    I have the worst calves, measure 12", I have. bad genetics. Lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2.5" and in my 130's and I have 14 3/4 inch calves...and like 9 inch ankles. I'm a runner and most of my lifting is body weight and dumbbells (10-15 lbs mostly...I need to get some bigger weights). Anyhow, your legs can't look any worse than mine as far as big calves go.

I always thought running actually trimmed legs down, or supposedly, in terms of endurance runners as opposed to sprinters.
    I only do the occasional 20 minute go on the treadmill but had been considering taking up jogging to get my outdoors, but I am guessing that might be worse than cycling for the calves lol. Cycling always worked my thighs and butt instead.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I like my calves. They help make it possible to walk and ride my bke. withoutnthem I'd look weird. My bony ankles make them hard to shave without nicking, though. But I like them, too.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Do you walk a lot in heels? That can really bulk up your calves. I used to walk 2-3 miles in heels everyday, but I've started wearing flats or low heels instead and my calves seem slimmer.

I think yoga helps too. If you're not interested in the practice, you could just spend 5 minutes in the evening holding a few calf-stretching poses like Down Dog.
  • stephgreene
    Options
    I have 17.5" calves last time I measured... As far as not finding cute boots - You ladies just need to look harder!

Plus size stores (Lane Bryant for example) have extended calf sizes in some pretty cute boots both online and in the store... Payless does as well and so do some other stores. You just have to look for them! I got a pair of really cute boots from Lane Bryant when I still worked there for $70 and they have buckles on them that I've actually had to adjust because the calves were TOO BIG..

Good luck!
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My calves used to be much bigger and made my already short frame appear more stumpy. Since losing 30lbs I have lost several inches in my calve and knee/ankle regions. I can hold my fingers together above my calf/below my knee now! Never could before. Weight loss will help a lot with trimming down calves. Exercises won't bulk up your calves unless you are lifting very heavy using your legs. Lower body fat %= lean defined body all over. If your average or heavy weight but also have muscle then your calves would be bigger because of the combined extra muscle and fat.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, and for being decent and understanding.
    I feel a little better now. My calves tend to sort of stick out quite a lot at the back, basically. My thighs measure 19 inches, so not sure if I am disproportionate or not. I do know that I struggle to get uk size 6 skinny jeans over my calves and knees, however, which is one thing that has made me self conscious of them.

Not sure I have much body fat to lose, I have about somewhere between 16 and 19%, 5'10 and 126Ibs usually(a little over that right now). I suppose I might try more walking and milder forms of cardio, I do tend to have the resistance set quite high on the machines, as I tend to like to get in a good calorie burn and it helps lift my often flagging energy,

Glad to know I am not the only female with larger calves. Sometimes I can ignore it, other things I look at them and it really bugs me. My upper half is much smaller than my lower.

I have 12.5" calves and 23.5" inch thighs. That's disproportionate! I don't think that you are, but I'd have to see what they look like to say for sure.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My calves are 17.5 inches round. Feel better about yourself now.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Mine are 14" and I think they're too thin.
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hate mine too, I can't wear boots. Either they fit perfectly around my calves and the actual shoe size is too big, or the other way around. :/ Blows.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    LOL. Mine are 15. And I think they look great, and, aside from not being able to wear knee high boots, idc if they get bigger, and they probably will with all the running i do!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why you'd think 13.5" is too big?

Mine are 14" and I think they're a little on the small side. I don't want muscular big calves really either, but I wouldn't complain if they were a little bigger / more in proportion with my thighs.