Gym club memberships in January

Options
So a bit early to be worrying about this but...I am quite settled into a gym routine and I'm getting worried about January. Is it true that there will be lines for the treadmills and weights and no spots in the gym classes? For people who are regulars, do you find this is true at certain times more than others during the month of January (after work or in the morning)?

Sorry this question is so off-the-wall! Just realized that the holidays are nearly upon us and they always end with well-intentioned New Year's Resolutions :)

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    So a bit early to be worrying about this but...I am quite settled into a gym routine and I'm getting worried about January. Is it true that there will be lines for the treadmills and weights and no spots in the gym classes? For people who are regulars, do you find this is true at certain times more than others during the month of January (after work or in the morning)?

Sorry this question is so off-the-wall! Just realized that the holidays are nearly upon us and they always end with well-intentioned New Year's Resolutions :)

Oh dear god...facepalm in advance for putting up with noobs...thanks for reminding me that's coming up.

Yes, January is HORRIBLE busy at any gym. The 2nd monday after the 1st is just beyond ridiculous.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh dear god...facepalm in advance for putting up with noobs...thanks for reminding me that's coming up.

Yes, January is HORRIBLE busy at any gym. The 2nd monday after the 1st is just beyond ridiculous.
    [/quote]

Sigh. Well maybe I will have to have a backup plan for a few weeks. I'm assuming it has to end at some point as I go around 6 or 6:30 and it's always the same few people.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I even have a t-shirt for it
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I even have a t-shirt for it

I'm afraid to ask...but curious.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I dont have to deal with this (private gym).

I am honestly curious though, how long does this "resolution rush" last typically? 1 month? 2?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes.. resolution season.. january is bad and so is may if you live in a cold climate.

the good/sad news is that the january rush drastically falls off in february. the other bad thing about the january rush - at least what i've noticed at all the gyms i belong to - most gyms will hire more PTs to come in and walk around. if they assume you're a newb (which they tend to do with you're female and overweight) then they'll encircle you like a vulture to try and offer all kinds of "helpful" tips (which half the time are not) as a way to sale you on sessions

how i usually avoid the crowds is to go early in the morning before work
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    It is funny I was just thinkin about this myself, but I have seen it fall off by the end of January and into mid Feb.

I figure I may adjust my schedule and just go in at 4a those months lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    not to mention the increase of seeing people do really stupid things in the gym. last year i watched some lady fall through the elliptical because she got the idea to go backwards on it by standing backwards. i guess she didnt realize she could go backwards just by changing the direction of her foot motion
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    yes.. resolution season.. january is bad and so is may if you live in a cold climate.

the good/sad news is that the january rush drastically falls off in february. the other bad thing about the january rush - at least what i've noticed at all the gyms i belong to - most gyms will hire more PTs to come in and walk around. if they assume you're a newb (which they tend to do with you're female and overweight) then they'll encircle you like a vulture to try and offer all kinds of "helpful" tips (which half the time are not) as a way to sale you on sessions

how i usually avoid the crowds is to go early in the morning before work

Uh... pretty sure you're going to fling an oly bar overhead and they're going to catch on you're not a noob.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    not to mention the increase of seeing people do really stupid things in the gym. last year i watched some lady fall through the elliptical because she got the idea to go backwards on it by standing backwards. i guess she didnt realize she could go backwards just by changing the direction of her foot motion

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    don't worry...it's like only two weeks of your life...then it will go back to the way it was.
  • Cali212
    Cali212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's true for about a week, then they disappear.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I use the first week of January to take a break from the gym
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    Give it 3 weeks into the new year, the noobs will be gone! Then all will be right with the gym world! :bigsmile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember January newbies being termed as "resolutionists" last year. Most annoying is when they clog up my step class and you have to get there 10 minutes earlier to get a decent spot.

Yes they are annoying, but they do subsidise your gym and its kind of sad when you see them drop out.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I am happy people want to get fit, but do get annoyed.

However, My new place has a gym in the basement! :) And NO ONE ever works out there but me :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yes, the Januaries are horrible. The rush lasts 3 weeks. Try to go at odd times and it is a bit better. Free weights are usually a good choice, but be flexible on your workout. They are all gone by mid February.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I work in the fitness industry- and January-April is the average for most new years resolutioners- after that they typically quit (some only go for a few weeks but average will continue to pay with intention for 2-3 months)

Thus the reason I became a fitness instructor- I got sick of the packed dance studio I went to and thought the only one up here with any room is the instructor (at least that is why I started- certainly not why I continue- although not worrying about my "spot" is nice!)
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is terrible but seems to die down quite a bit by mid-February. I am currently working out at 5:00 am. I'm interested to see if that time will be impacted too. lol!