Weight + treatment from men / dating

Options

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Definitely. Without dieting/exercise, just normal daily routine I'll stay between 132-136lbs and I'm 5'8". A this weight I tend to attract your average white boy. I hit my heaviest in jail of 142, when I got out it was mainly black guys that liked that my butt got bigger lol. Whenever I get too thin, like under 105-110, it's usually creepy old white dudes that hit on me. I think it's because at that weight I look really small, closer to a prepubescent look so they pedophiles like that.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight, and I've never gotten special attention from guys. Idk maybe I just look that bad lol
    No to be honest! Apart from on MFP and Facebook. In real life I don't get approached in clubs or anything (which is fine with me btw lol) saying that, my friends are all super hot so the attention is usually on them when we are out!
    x

i-dont-believe-you.jpg
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    This is interesting...I find that guys hold the door and look right at me now, and clearly say you're welcome when I thank them....etc.

I also find that women are more helpful and respectful to me now as well. I feel like they have the misconception that if you are in better shape, you are more intelligent. Which I find a little odd, because I was always weirdly smart. Lol
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Hey all, so I used to be 280 highest and 150 lowest, have you girls losing weight found that you attract more or different men at different weight? If so what weight did you notice the change?

it's not really about weight per se. it's about how you look. if you're curvy, but not flabby, you'll get plenty of attention from all sorts of men. what weight shows on the scale at that point depends alot on your size and frame.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    Men don't hit on me... I'm kinda scary in general:
    Unless that guy at the gym on weekend afternoons who won't stop talking about himself and his weight gain while I'm trying to do cardio counts.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Men don't hit on me... I'm kinda scary in general:
    Unless that guy at the gym on weekend afternoons who won't stop talking about himself and his weight gain while I'm trying to do cardio counts.

if you want guys to hit on you, just smile at us. it lets us know you are approachable. if guys aren't hitting on you now, you are probably putting out a vibe that says, "leave me alone!".
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Guys and girls are the same in this question even when girls like to say otherwise.. Girls are attracted to skinny, stronger guys.. guys are attracted to skinny, happy looking girls. If you don't get much attention being bigger, guys don't either..
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I find that I get a different kind of attention as a thinner person. I felt confident when I was 45 pounds heavier and maybe that showed. I didn't really have trouble attracting men when I was single. I'm not out looking now that I'm thinner, but I find that I get "the nod" from other fit women. It's kind of like we are in a private club for people that work hard to keep ourselves fit. My fiance notices that men look at me and mentions it to me, but I don't really notice because I'm not on the hunt.

I do really believe that it comes down to how you feel about yourself. If you think that you are awesome and a great person, then so will other people to a certain degree. I think there is a weight cut-off though. MY PERSONAL OPINION based on experience-not trying to offend anyone- I think that "overweight" is okay to attract men, but "obese" is not going to be generally accepted regardless of personality.

I was sometimes treated like I was invisible when I was almost 100 pounds heavier. People would cut in front of me in line like I wasn't even there.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Weight I am now, invisible to guys, which is okay, I am married, and old-ish.

At my lowest/best shape of 132 pounds and 17% body fat, invisible to guys.

At 145 to 150 pounds, and kind of squishy looking? Was asked for dates all the time.
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    I would get hit on more when slimmer but would still be hit on now - I honestly think its a confidence thing. Men do prefer slimmer women but would be attracted to larger women depending on how she carries herself and how she feels. I just assume I'm gorgeous and fool them :laugh:
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight, and I've never gotten special attention from guys. Idk maybe I just look that bad lol
    No to be honest! Apart from on MFP and Facebook. In real life I don't get approached in clubs or anything (which is fine with me btw lol) saying that, my friends are all super hot so the attention is usually on them when we are out!
    x

i-dont-believe-you.jpg

It's 100% true. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong lol. Maybe I need to initiate contact
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I tend to wear clothes that don't show how much progress I've made so that by summer time it'll be like BAM! lol in other words, it's been about the same at highest and lowest weight. That's not saying much though because everytime I go out into a setting where people WOULD try to hit on me I always have my husband there and make it well known I'm interested in nooone else that way.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    x

i-dont-believe-you.jpg

It's 100% true. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong lol. Maybe I need to initiate contact

the only contact you need to do is make eye contact and smile. we know what that means. if you see a guy you want to approach you and he's available and interested, that's enough. if he's really shy, then maybe you'll have to say something to him first.

women are complicated. we still haven't figured you out. probably because we're easily distracted by sammiches.

men are simple. we are easy to figure out.

if you want to show interest, laugh at our corny jokes. flirtatiously tease us about non-offensive things like our wrinkled clothes or mismatched shoes and belt. the sort of stuff that women notice but we don't. lean in when we talk to you. smile. occasionally incidentally touch our arm while talking or laughing at our jokes. if you do all of that, there's not a guy on the planet who won't be able to figure out you are interested. at that point, it's up to the guy...
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    x

i-dont-believe-you.jpg

the only contact you need to do is make eye contact and smile. we know what that means. if you see a guy you want to approach you and he's available and interested, that's enough. if he's really shy, then maybe you'll have to say something to him first.

women are complicated. we still haven't figured you out. probably because we're easily distracted by sammiches.

men are simple. we are easy to figure out.

if you want to show interest, laugh at our corny jokes. flirtatiously tease us about non-offensive things like our wrinkled clothes or mismatched shoes and belt. the sort of stuff that women notice but we don't. lean in when we talk to you. smile. occasionally incidentally touch our arm while talking or laughing at our jokes. if you do all of that, there's not a guy on the planet who won't be able to figure out you are interested. at that point, it's up to the guy...

Thanks for the advice, I am sh1t when it comes to this stuff lol and extremely inexperienced
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I am sh1t when it comes to this stuff lol and extremely inexperienced

at 25, are you still at an age where lots of your peers are still busy playing "games"? i.e., acting too cool to be interested or paying attention to somebody else to make the one you really like jealous? that's all alot of wasted energy and wasted time. if you like a guy, you just have to let him know in ways that are not so subtle, that he doesn't see them. find the guys your age who don't play games and you'll be fine.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

I find that in my experience men can be a little bit..unaware.. that someone is interested. Possibly they have their own esteem issues and wouldn't understand why anyone would even WANT to notice them (I suppose would women do this too). Sometimes you need to be a little more..obvious. Trust me..I have done all those things and still have had to come right out and ASK THEM :p Of course not all women are comfortable doing this but it's the way I am... So possible you are just around a lot of shy guys.

OR..
    if you want guys to hit on you, just smile at us. it lets us know you are approachable. if guys aren't hitting on you now, you are probably putting out a vibe that says, "leave me alone!".

This is ME. I don't like to be 'hit on' I prefer to be the one in the lead so even though guys will look at me and put out signals I really just tend to play like I don't notice. My weight has never been a factor. I've been between 130 - 230 and never had an issue attracting someone when I felt the urge but as I said, I'm not normally shy about making my intentions obvious to those I'm interested in. I mean OK.. you can't just go and pick up on ANY guy but look for the signals that they are interested in you and then flash a BIG smile back and go from there ;)
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    From my single days: I got far more attention when I was slim (I was a UK size 8-10) It was almost like I was invisible when I was a chunky monkey (UK size 16) lol. Men are so very shallow :noway: :laugh: she jokes of course ;-))

Sadly true; men are skum if you look at it from that perspective.

I prefer thin - petite women because I'm short, and bigger girls just look odd at my side. A friend of mine is more extreme; he only talks to women around 15% body fat and he has no problem admitting that he's very shallow.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    x

Your friends must be insanely hot because I can't imagine you not getting a lot of attention when you go out.

Eye contact and a smile should be more than enough to draw in your target.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Being attracted to attractive people doesn't make anyone shallow or scum-- it's just reality. I don't understand a person bellyaching over how strangers don't automatically recognize them as a beautiful and unique snowflake... that just reflects an absurd sense of entitlement.

Maybe you can expect your parents to love you unconditionally, but that's not the way the world works. If you want recognition... be it recognition for your looks or your personal or professional accomplishments... get out and bust your *kitten* for it.
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A question to the women then would you go for a overweight fat guy or some one toned who kept in shape