Help need breakfast ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    A little twist on the usual scrambled eggs (and of course you can subsititute egg whites but I am a yolker all the way (bashfully admits to even getting double yolk eggs on occasion from the farm stand down the road).

4 large eggs
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    Pinch of turmeric
    Kosher salt
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    1 small hot red or green chile, seeded and very finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    1 tomato—halved, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
    Pinch of sugar
    2 teaspoons chopped cilantro

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the cumin, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion, chile, garlic and ginger and cook over high heat until the onion just begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato, season with salt and the sugar and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to moderately low and pour in the eggs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the eggs are just set, about 1 minute. Fold in the cilantro and serve with roti or toast.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I often have an egg and 2% american cheese on an english muffin, along with my coffee.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and sweetened condensed milk that is my thing it keeps me anywhere from 3 to 4 hours full

Yes! Oatmeal in the morning is the only thing that truly fills me up. I have oatmeal and slice an apple up, throw it all in a bowl with water, put it in the microwave and voila! A (big) bowl full of mush to fill me up! Love it!
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    The yellow part of the egg is where the cholesterol comes from

Which is only a problem if you have a problem with cholesterol to start with. The average person doesn't need to avoid egg yolks and that's where most of the nutrients are. At 70 calories you won't get a much better food than eggs.

Your exactly right! That is why I suggested 1 whole egg with 2 egg whites. Your body still needs cholesterol! ;) I agree though I think eggs are definitely the way to go for breakfast!!! And there are SO many options as to how to cook them!

If you don't eat cholesterol, your body will produce it. Besides, the cholesterol that comes from egg yolks is good cholesterol if cooked properly. Eggs should never be overcooked, that's when they become 'bad' for you. :)