What is your favorite book & why?

Options

Replies

• ChaosMoosie
    ChaosMoosie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Absolute favorite is by an American Author (now deceased) and the winner of the Congressional Medal of Freedom from President Ronald Reagan - Louis L'amour. The book was intended to be one of a two part series and named 'The Last of the Breed'.

As a contemporary storyteller, L'amour had very few equals, and this story is one that is inspirational - that tells how a person can overcome seemingly insurmountable odds by simply taking one step after another.

I may not have the refined taste of those who love War and Peace, or The Iliad (I've read those) but I know what I like. :D
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Absolute favorite is by an American Author (now deceased) and the winner of the Congressional Medal of Freedom from President Ronald Reagan - Louis L'amour. The book was intended to be one of a two part series and named 'The Last of the Breed'.

As a contemporary storyteller, L'amour had very few equals, and this story is one that is inspirational - that tells how a person can overcome seemingly insurmountable odds by simply taking one step after another.

I may not have the refined taste of those who love War and Peace, or The Iliad (I've read those) but I know what I like. :D

Louis L'amour was an amazing writer and remains a very undervalued storyteller. Hondo is still my favorite of his.
  • jnite
    jnite Posts: 108 Member
    Options

"The Clan of the Cave Bear" by Jean Auel because it makes the life of the first humans seem believable.

This series is my absolute favorite, I'm surprised it didn't come up more often.:ohwell: i love how she totally drew you into ayla's whole story.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

I have never read a book that has given me such a roller coaster of emotions.

I have quite a few favorite books, The Bible is number 1.

^^^^^ LOVE THIS!!! That is mine, also.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Besides the Holy Bible, of course, and "To Kill A Mockingbird", which will always be my #1 favourite in fiction, I've read every book by John Grisham and can't wait for Santa to being me his newest, "the Litigator".

Also, I love anything by Nicolas Sparks when I need a good cry. :sad: :laugh:
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Non-fiction - Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
    Fiction - Any of the Jesse Stone books by Robert B. Parker

"The Purpose Driven Life" is probably second on my list ...
  • reneegirl97
    reneegirl97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games series is good. My favorite of that is The Mockingjay. I like them because they were the last fiction books I read! :)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Only 1??? I guess The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck would top the list. I think its a beautiful told story of people in their struggle to survive. But I skip chapter 3 because he describes dust for an entire chapter. Yes, dust. But don't let chapter 3 ruin the book for you. It's wonderful.

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Les Miserables and Anna Karenina and both are coming to theaters this holiday season!! I'm excited but don't see how the flicks can possibly live up to the books.

Oh and I love Pride and Prejudice. I read it every year. I think that and The Grapes of Wrath might be a tie.

Hmm I guess I like tragic books, lol.

Favorite author is Phillip Roth. The man is a genius. I'd read anything by him. Sabath's Theater was surprisingly wonderful and touching but my favorite would be American Pastoral. In a word, awesome.

Least favorite book of all time? Moby D!ck. It was horrible.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Too many good books to pick only one favorite! Stranger in a Strange Land. The Dresden Files series. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Off Armageddon Reef series. Ender's Game series. Medalon by Jennifer Fallon and the other books in her series. Wit'ch Fire by James Clemons & the rest of the series. And many more!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    What about 'everybody poops'? I mean, it's non fiction and a pretty easy read.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    One of my "2nd's" fav books, and one of the rare fictional books I've read and liked, The Outsiders.
  • anna473
    anna473 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I could never pick a favourite. I have several books I read again and again and again. I love books that are so richly descriptive that you can taste the air the characters breathe, or books which leave you feeling emotional and confused because you just had your perspective changed, or love stories rich with heartbreak and/or blatant cliche!

A short list of my very favourites that come to mind;
    Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (achingly stark reading)
    The Riders (same again)
    the Tomorrow When the War Began Series (I grew up with and lived vicariously through these books)
    Persuasion (had an excerpt of Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne read during my wedding ceremony)
    The Bell Jar (yes)
    Cloudstreet (amazing breakthrough lyrical stuff)
    Lone Wolf (I love the exploration here of the absent father, it made me so confused and mad)
    Cold Comfort Farm (Hilarious)
    The Chrysalids (first sci fi I ever read)
    It (read this at 12 - yes a bit too young obviously - and it rocked my world)
    Pride and Prejudice (because love stories are generally awesome!)
    Is Anyone There? (because love stories can be sad and still funny)

I love books!! Lit geek over here!
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options

"The Clan of the Cave Bear" by Jean Auel because it makes the life of the first humans seem believable.

This series is my absolute favorite, I'm surprised it didn't come up more often.:ohwell: i love how she totally drew you into ayla's whole story.

I too love the whole Earths Children Series Auel is a fabulous writer read the series at least 3 times a year

Harry Potter read it to my daughter and will read it to my grandson

Jane Austen, Catherine Cooksen, Jackie Collins, Jeffrey Archer and of course The Hobbit etc
  • crissy97
    crissy97 Posts: 277
    Options
    any.... i am a major book worm, mainly romance :P
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas :wink:
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm a BIG fan of Nora Roberts and J.D. Robb (Nora's futuristic series). She has the most amazing writing talent and a way to move you with her choice of words and emotions.

Love Karen Rose - amazing writing style as well and great psychological thrillers with some romance.

Dean Koonts, James Patterson, Lisa Jackson, Brenda Novak - all great writers.

A month ago I've stumbled upon Justin Cronin...... Oh. My. Word.
    His new release has just came out and is such a hit (but its the second in a trilogy) so I went and bought the first book as well as the new one. First book is called "The Passage", second book "The Twelve".
    I couldn't put it down!! I simply cannot wait for the last in the trilogy!! Its one of those books/series's you wish you haven't read yet just so you can discover them all over again!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. I have read it almost 10 times, I always get more out of it.

You are the only other person I have seen that has read this book. It was crazy but I really loved it.

Now you know two. Made me go "wtf?" Very strange book. I didn't love or hate it but it certainly stuck with me.

I have a shelf full of favorite books. If i liked it enough to read it more than once, it goes on the 'keepers' shelf. Some books on there are The Stand by Stephen King, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman, Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, Earths Children by Jean Auel (except the last two which sucked and were enormously disappointing). I could go on but i'll stop there.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas - It makes me smile whenever I read it.

I also have a soft spot for Around Ireland With A Fridge.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP. I can't go past Wuthering Heights. The first time I finished it I went straight back to the start and read it another 2 times. I've read it a lot since then and I'll keep reading it forever. For me it's all about the intensity of the love, hate and revenge.

But if you're only every going to read one book in your life then it should be To Kill A Mockingbird, because it's so very beautiful.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Having been nudged by another thread I cannot leave out "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking" ... For obvious reasons.