Options
    Beets rule!
  • beandawgy
    Options
    mmm beet salad....or beets IN my salad :happy:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    beets are amazing!! even the canned ones! but yeah, i prefer roasting my own.

in fact one of the side dishes i'm taking for thanksgiving is a sweet potato/beet hash.

i hope noone likes it so i can have it all to myself
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Love beetroot:heart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nasty, vile things. BLECH! :sick:

(Srsly, never tried them straight out of the ground, only canned. Thanks for the tip! :bigsmile: )

If it's your first time preparing fresh beets take some advice and use a plastic cutting board. They will stain a wood board...and your hands, and anything else the juice touches. But if you want, you can use it to die your hair. :laugh:
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just got red and yellow beets from the CSA- roasted them with olive oil, salt and cumin. So good- even my picky 12 year old ate them up and asked for more!
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's not a real salad unless there's a slice of beet in there, get that Olive Garden??!!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'll just chime in and say I hate beets. Unless they are pickled, and I'm putting them on crakerbread with cream cheese, maybe some smoked trout.

My 4 yr old will eat them any which way you give them to him. And he'll eat as many as you give him. He's a non-stop beet eater.

To me, roasted, steamed, grilled (even pickled) they kind of taste like dirt.
    Too bad I hate them since they are so good for you.

\/ mmmm.... beat greens. those I will eat happily.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like beetroot, but I love beet greens.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Lol I've always loved beets. I ate them by the can as a kid. Turned my #2's bright purple too, my mom took me to the ER once thinking I had some kind of internal bleeding. :P
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Beets = No Bueno
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Read about beets: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/beets.html

Love them pickled.
    With pineapple the canned ones make a gorgeous and tasty smoothie.
    Roasted ...yummy
    Raw juliiene strips in a tossed salad. Good way to add color in the winter when tomatoes are yucky.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I feel so bonded with all the beet lovers. I wish you joy happiness and inner peace. The rest of you-not so much. I'm just sorry for you mostly. It's actually very sad.

BEET LOVERS UNITE!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    And don't even get me started on Beet Greens! DO NOT THROW AWAY THE GREENS!!!!!!!!!!
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I only recently discovered I like beetroot. It's so sweet I can understand why I see it in cake/brownie recipes. I've not tried it, but for beet lovers, beetroot and chocolate ice cream: http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/chocolate-beetroot-ice-cream/
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My Grandma made Harvard beets. Kids will eat these!! And you picky Na sayers...
    Fresh or canned take 1/4 cup of the freshly boiled or canned beet water whisk in a saucepan with 1/3 cup sugar, 1tbsp. Corn starch, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook until smooth and thickened add beets and 2 tbsp. Butter.
    Think you can make it healthier but in moderation, its so yummy I don't really care!
    We also have the chocolate beet cake served in the cafeteria at the elementary school. Kids can't tell its not a chocolate velvet cake.
    Beet greens boiled and tossed with vinegar is the best!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Freshly cooked beets with a little bit of sugar.
    Omnomnomnom.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i have beets 7 days a week,,,,, they are good for blood pressure.
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I ♥ Beets!! They are sooooooooooo good!!