do Canadians do it better?

Options

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I know we do black Friday better in the US! In fact, the mall in Bellingham, Washington and the outlet malls in Burlington will be overflowing with Canadians who drive an hour south from BC. Of course, they must love our shopping because they come down frequently to go to WalMart and especially Costco, and fill their gas tanks south of the border.
  • 041jackson
    041jackson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks to all for your lovely Canadian characteristics / stereotypes!

A) we do celebrate thanksgiving, but it isn't coupled with a) football and b) shopping, which 1000 x the event (and the eating).

B) Fun fact: the original Thanksgiving day is still celebrated in Canada. The American Thanksgiving was moved to co-incide with the 2 events listed above. Interesting, eh?

And now, for some fun! Feel free to share far and wide :)

"Canadian Please"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQf13B8epw
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

A) we do celebrate thanksgiving, but it isn't coupled with a) football and b) shopping, which 1000 x the event (and the eating).

B) Fun fact: the original Thanksgiving day is still celebrated in Canada. The American Thanksgiving was moved to co-incide with the 2 events listed above. Interesting, eh?

"Canadian Please"

:D I've always found Canadians are always willing to make fun of themselves.
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am in love with canadian chicks. :heart:

My last name is canadian enough. I should just move there.
    It sure is Mr Messier :). Come on up north :)
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't know about better, but, we do it pretty freakin' well!
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think we are just a little subtler about it - which, I suppose when it comes to caloric intake, does make it "better" for weight loss :).

That said, I've read some threads on American Thanksgiving, and I think I'd be a goner down south. WAAYYY too much deliciousness.

what do y'all eat?

We eat the same things you do - minus the green bean casserole :laugh: We tend to emphasize quality of quantity of food. It more about family than football or shopping.

What do you think we ear?? :noway:
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    We do everything better :wink: :love:

This :drinker:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm half Canadian and half Australian (born in Canada, live in Australia). We don't even celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia so I guess that's a win from a dieting point of view. We don't really do Halloween either (except we've kind of started to adopt it as an excuse to dress up).
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

"Canadian Please"

:D I've always found Canadians are always willing to make fun of themselves.

typical Canadian Humor....i grew up with these boys...

Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2oAAyrLKrk
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    We do everything better :wink: :love:

+1000

But, in fact, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving as much as USA does... Especially here in Qc, it is really not in the french canadian mentality to celebrate this holiday. It's more a "Yay, we got a day off" and that's it day.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Ryan Reynolds anyone?

Not to mention:

Ryan Gosling
    John Candy
    Rachel McAdams
    Alex Trebek
    Elisha Cuthbert
    Jim Carrey
    Michael J Fox
    Anna Paquin
    Dan Akroyd
    Evangeline Lily
    Pamela Anderson
    Nina Dobrev

Oh and nobody in Canada eats poutine, at least none of the cool cats. We just make it and get Americans to try it when they come here.

But as for the real topic, I was actually thinking that there isn't as much hoopla about the Canadian Thanksgiving feast as there seems to be for the American Thanksgiving.

Well, see, in my neck of the woods, we do... We kind of invented it and (I don,t know why) but are proud of it. Opposite of celebrating THanksgiving, where it speaks french, we have gastronomic food AND poutine but no Thanksgiving. Go figure!

Ever tried Foie Gras Poutine? I dare you!
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    Not a chance
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options

Not to mention:

Ryan Gosling
    John Candy
    Rachel McAdams
    Alex Trebek
    Elisha Cuthbert
    Jim Carrey
    Michael J Fox
    Anna Paquin
    Dan Akroyd
    Evangeline Lily
    Pamela Anderson
    Nina Dobrev

Sorry but that stil doesn't make up for C. Dion and Bryan Adams. OH and the world still wants a public apology for Tom Green.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Not a chance

tumblr_lnjd28nkQc1qehcu6o1_500.gif
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    We just ate every morsel that was in site and pretending the day didn't even happen.

1t6cg2.gif
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Sorry but that stil doesn't make up for C. Dion and Bryan Adams. OH and the world still wants a public apology for Tom Green.

Rebecca Black.

/end argument.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Not to mention:

Ryan Gosling
    John Candy
    Rachel McAdams
    Alex Trebek
    Elisha Cuthbert
    Jim Carrey
    Michael J Fox
    Anna Paquin
    Dan Akroyd
    Evangeline Lily
    Pamela Anderson
    Nina Dobrev

Yeah, I'll give you that one.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In my experience (having lived in both countries), the difference in timing and length of the holiday makes it, on average, less of a diet-ordeal in Canada than in the US. There's also the fact that Canadians are conditioned to complain less.

Being in the beginning of October, it's still camping weather for Canadian Thanksgiving! I've missed big family Thanksgiving dinners in Canada because we were out camping. (Of course, in the southern US, I guess camping in November is still an option.)

Lol you must live either in southern BC or Ontario - here in Alberta we had 6" of snow by mid-October! :grumble:
    That being said, I do know people that will camp in the snow, golf in the snow (my husband), play softball in the snow (again, my husband), and of course, our CFL's Grey Cup has many times been played in the snow. No wonder some people call us crazy canucks :laugh:
    I would love to experience an American Thanksgiving one day - I have always wondered if it compares to the Portuguese and Italian Weddings I have been to....yum-me! :drinker:
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options

Neil Young and Joni Mitchell more than make up for C Dion and Bryan Adams.

We humbly apologise for Tom Green, although I am in no way personally responsible for his existence.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    hockey = yes
    drinking beer = yes
    cable access TV shows = yes

bobanddoug.jpg