Lost 15lb and nobody is noticing !

Options
13»

Replies

• juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The second comment....for people to notice one generally has to start wearing smaller clothes, new clothes. If youve lost weight and are still putting on your fat clthes the weight loss is virtually covered up by fabric!!

This was what I was going to say, my partner has lost a bit of weight recently and I'd started to notice it a little in his face but I noticed even more when he started wearing clothes that were smaller, before he was wearing t-shirts that were baggy to start with so it was harder to notice the weight loss :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, most people see you every day, so they don't see a 15lb loss. They're seeing 4-5oz disappearing every day or two...meaning, they see a slight, slight change over a long period of time.

At work, nobody really commented on my 20lb loss over the summer, except one waitress who works opposite shifts than me. She finally saw me for the first time in 2-3 months, and surely noticed.
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 lbs and even though nobody has right out come and said it, that I've lost weight, I can see that people have noticed in ways like my better confidence levels and how my clothes fit and such. But don't be discouraged, 13 or even 15 lbs is not that "much" yet (though it's an amazing accomplishment for sure) and weight is just generally such a sensitive subject that I think most people just kind of shy from talking about it. I'm sure when you've lost another 15 lbs or how much you want to lose then people will definitely start noticing! Keep at it! :)
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly 50 lbs before anyone noticed. If people see you every day, the change is so gradual that is is not as obvious as if they see you nly before and after. And if you're like most of us, it doesn't necessarily come off of whatever makes you look thinner. For example, I'm now around 64 pounds lost and my face is still fat. The area at the top of my butt and the ottom of my back has slimmed down the most so far, and the jeans in a smaller size are much looser in the legs and butt than in the stomach area of the waist. Be patient and keep up the good work. Your body will know even if other people can't tell yet.

Barb
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    No one notes me until around 28 to 30 pounds..
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Don't get discouraged though... if you're feeling better etc then it's aaaalll worth it ;)

There seem to be a few hard-and-fast rules with people 'noticing' weight-loss.

1) Most people don't like to admit it but they're completely self-absorbed (yes, including me and you), and probably don't notice other people's stuff as much as they should. Give them time to pull their heads out and eventually they'll look up and think WOW YOU LOOK INCREDIBLE

2) Especially with friends of the same sex, I tend to find there's an initial period of friendship re-adjustment. Often they've put you in their little box as 'the fat friend' and can go a bit mental / jealous / weird / unsure when they realise you're jail-breaking!

3) Like another poster said - you gotta FLAUNT it! In this over PC world, if someone is scared they'll offend or accidentally encourage an eating disorder or something extreme, they'll shut their mouths and ignore it. Don't be afraid to tell people how proud you are of yourself and that you're making healthy choices and feel better for it - and don't hide your shrinking bod under baggy saggy clothes. WORK IT!!

And when all else fails, come here. MFP is full of awesomely supportive, understanding peeps :D

By the way, OP.... have you lost weight?? YOU LOOK AMAZING!! :flowerforyou:
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I lost over 28lbs before anyone noticed, and now I've lost 57lbs, some people still haven't noticed! Crazy, but then again some folks don't like to comment on your weight in case it may offend.

Lose weight for you, don't sweat it if no-one notices for a while, just keep going :flowerforyou:
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It depends on your size and who is noticing. A lot of people may see it but not say anything. I was about 30 pounds before 'outside the family' people started commenting.
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    my family never says boy you look good or nothing i use to wear a size 52 pants now i can get in my 48 and when i wear the 52 and show them how much room still nothing. but my sister who is luck to be 140 or so if she loses a pound or goes walking we hear about it all the time. i was always the chubby one but i am trying to get down to about 250 so still have 25 lbs to go.
  • evolutioner
    Options
    I have to ask people bc well you look at yourself everyday so you won't notice any real change, what i do is ask some friends/coworkers they'll be truthful and wear light clothing or maybe there just jealous of you haters either way good job and keep at it!!!
  • Sirchkismet
    Sirchkismet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with Alex_is_Hawks. For some of us who have to lose a lot of weight people just don't notice. Specially people who see you every day. The first people to say anything to me where friends who I haven't seen in about 4 months.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    15lbs into my loss, my mum said "That's nice - you've got your pretty face back." My fiance's jaw dropped and he said "ummm, she's ALWAYS had a pretty face!"

I'd probably have been happier if she'd said nothing, tbh!
  • Noway13
    Options
    It was like this for me in the beginning, but I think it had to do with the fact I was still wearing my 6XL shirts. Once I started wearing smaller shirts people started to notice and man did that feel good.
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sorry to clog the boards up with this trivial one all, I just wonder if anybody else is having this issue, I feel better healthwise and also mood wise. I just would like to know where this stone has gone !, I still have a tonne to go though and have a belly like a pregnant woman that wont shift !

I went down 39 before anyone commented. Made me work harder :D