Females: Is it just me who gains during a visit from TOM?

Options

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I personally do because I haven't yet controled the hunger symptoms...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Water retention and weight gain are common symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome. It's mentioned in all the Pamprin and Midol commercials.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    no
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    WHAT??? That can make you gain weight? I'm shocked and horrified. Please see a doctor.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I often "gain" 5 lbs, right around my middle, due to TOM. Since I've increased my cardio time to an hour, minimum, 6 days a week, I no longer see that gain. I can't seem to completely stop the "Oh My Gosh, I Want To Eat EVERYTHING!!!" feelings, but I can moderate those at least.

You'll drop these off in a few days. Try to enjoy tomorrow, and not stress about gaining from one meal. You'll do fine! If you're really worried, go out for a nice walk or jog some time during the day tomorrow to help negate some of the calories you'll be enjoying.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    nope. Happens to me too.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    nope not just you, i gain a pound and a half to 2 lbs during, then about 3 or 4 days later back to the weight i was
  • Homer_z_Spartan
    Options
    It is the only way I know when my wife is on hers. I have to butter the doorway from the hall to the ktichen so she can squeeze in to get to the cookies. Once I do that I hide in the basement until the screaming stops.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Seriously. I am 2lbs heavier than I was on Saturday and it is Wednesday. I ate a bit more (probably maintenance), but not enough to gain 2lbs. lol. I went and worked out on Sunday as well and I was already a little heavier than I started. Is there anyone else who gains at this time?

Yep we all do. We usually retain water.

There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    its nothing for me to go up as much at 4 or 5 lbs.. the swelling and water retention is horrible. We will see how it is with drinking my water like I should etc...
  • sstephanrodriguez
    sstephanrodriguez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS gain that week. Hate it!
  • Colexlovely
    Colexlovely Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I gain three to four so I never weight myself the week of my period because I get upset, even if I know what it is from.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i gain right before and it all drops off during lol
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Everyone: Thanks for all the replies! I seriously was confused because I know some people lose weight, so I figured maybe I'm an odd ball or maybe I just ate like a cow more than I assumed for some reason. lol. Yes, this is probably basic information, but I believe in fact checking. Some of the stuff we believe our entire life turns out to be bs when we grow up. I hadn't had many visits from TOM because from early 2010-early 2012 I was pregnant twice and for those who know, after a baby you don't get visits either. Plus I went on birth control, which put TOM on a restraining order, so no need to be rude. Lol. My symptoms are also not the same as before my kids and I never weighed myself at home before kids, so this is new for me to notice.

@lveh8lve That is so true and if I lose that way I will be very happy now. Lol I think I lost the 2lbs now because it says I am back to 162.4 (I was 162.2, but I'll take it. lol) I was up 2lbs for a couple of days.

@nerdybre WOW 10lbs?! I may have done that once, but I don't know for sure lol. That is nuts, but at least you know it wasn't you. I would be in shock or worried about retaining too much water (from a medical perspective).

@psycholodee That is exactly it! I think mine is off now :] I was 164+ all day and afternoon and for a couple days prior to today, but now I weighed myself an hour ago and I was back around 162(.4). I'll take it!

@KrazyAsianNic I won't say I control my hunger symptoms well, but this week and the week leading up to TOM were a lot better than last month when I went on a binging spree and ate, easily, 3,000 calories in a day or more. lol. I really did gain during those days.

@Contrarian I don't watch t.v. :/ lol I watch a bit of netflix, but there are no commercials. Thank you for letting me know. I thought maybe there was water retention involved, but some friends told me they lose instead and I was lost. I don't weight myself usually, so the last few months weighing has gotten me to notice gains and losses I normally wouldn't.

@Cranktastic Simple & to the point. I like it.

@onedayillbeam There is no need to be a jerk about it. I was asking a serious question because a lot of people say they lose instead.

@TinaBaily LOL I am glad I'm not the only starving one either. That part I had asked about last month when I went on a war path. The enemy was food and I took them all down with my digestive system one by one. lol

@leakramirez WHY GOD WHY! Totally kidding.

@likearadiowav Thanks for the comment :]

@keem88 I can deal with the weight I was for sure or a few oz more as long as I don't lose a whole week of progress from it! I don't lose quick lately.

@_Wits_ I'm just going to assume that is sarcasm, but I really don't watch television and I never weighed myself at home until this year.

@onegonzogarba Ignorant comments aren't necessary, but I haven't had periods in about two years until recently because I had two kids only a few months apart and I didn't remember half the symptoms. Side from that I also never weighed myself at home, so during my period I had no idea how weight would fluctuate and when I asked other people many said they lose instead.

@Rachel0440 lmso. No words.

@Homer_z_Spart HA! That made my freakin day.

@Californiagir thanks for being respectful and also encouraging without being rude! I hadn't had a lot of periods lately because I was pregnant the majority of time since 2010. When I was younger (I was 19 before pregnancy) I didn't weigh myself at all unless I went to a dr.

@trchristy Oh I'd like to see if drinking a certain amount helps or not. I drink a lot as it is, but maybe if I up or lower it, that would help. I was getting weird pains too, not cramps, so maybe Im sick. I would assume that won't help the situation.

@sstephanrodri ME TOO! I was not happy. Reminded me of that cartoon with 2 little kids on a scale. One says "See it doesn't hurt" and the other says "Then why does mommy cry every time she steps on it"

@jofjltncb6 If TOM visits you once a month I missed something in bio when we studied organs and the reproductive track Lol

@Colexlovely I love your profile picture! I think that is the best idea because it irritates me too. It is like my head argues, what if it is NOT for that reason? Silly, probably, but still bothers me sometimes.

@ChristineMari Little off topic, but my cousin's name is Christina Marie. lol. So yea I think mine did too because I am back except for .2lbs to where I was Saturday.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    yes you are the only one. The only one ever. The chosen one.
    I had to quote this. You may have been sarcastic, but even being called The chosen one that way sounds awesome. lmso. <3 Now I want to go watch some Superhero/Scifi/Action movies. Also, reminds me of when my friends and I tag each other on facebook. One time we brought up that some people like it because it feels like you're James Bond with people using your whole name haha. Like > Alyssa Milano, Michael Jackson, Clark Kent, James Bond. It is rarely just James.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ME!!! I eat like a piggie around my period. Then I bloat and gain like 2-5lbs... Then I drop those 2-5lbs right after it stops. (Thank you, mother nature, for not being a total sadistic b*tch!!)
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Who's tom?

The friend that all girls love to hate

unless the "fear of pregnancy" is hoovering lol

Easy 6 pounds up at that time ARGGH
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep you on 'track' when getting freaked by the water retention is the fact that your body is burning more calories at this time so keep on track and afterwards you are likely to have a true weight loss along with the water loss. Its also one of the reasons we ladies tend to crave 'carbs' when pre menstrual. So embrace this time...your body is actually helping you.
    See this link:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/295115-calories-burned-while-on-your-period/
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that my TOM hasn't quite returned yet after having my baby (5.5 months postpartum and recently weaned my daughter) - I don't think I'd handle the upwards fluctuation in weight on top of the "baby weight" (and the other 25 lbs).

You are definitely NOT alone on this one!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    It is the only way I know when my wife is on hers. I have to butter the doorway from the hall to the ktichen so she can squeeze in to get to the cookies. Once I do that I hide in the basement until the screaming stops.
    Bahahaha!

I have to ask, what the hell does lmso mean?