Building muscle without weights question..

Options
I know this sounds insane and please don't think i'm stupid or lazy or whatever but this is a serious question..

I know that for weight loss you need to build muscle BUT I have no access to a gym and the only weight's I have at home are 2x 4kg hand weights...

Anyway my question is this...

Does anyone know of any exercises / DVD's that will help me build muscle without having to use weights?

Thanks in advance..

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises will take you pretty far - push ups, lunges, squats, planks, dips, step-ups, etc...

Check out Nerdfitness.com for plenty of exercise routines.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my android of a program called you are your own gym, it was free too and has the whole program without having to buy the book.
    http://www.marklauren.com/

I would look up any workouts that emphasize body weight training. It's possible! Good luck.
  • HannahsBestLife
    HannahsBestLife Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys :D I will check them out now! :D
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    HUGE supporter of body weight exercises/calisthenics. They will definitely help build muscle, as long as overload is still occurring.
    http://jasonferruggia.com/top-20-bodyweight-exercises-for-building-muscle-strength/
    He has plenty of ideas. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises will take you pretty far - push ups, lunges, squats, planks, dips, step-ups, etc...

Check out Nerdfitness.com for plenty of exercise routines.

This ^^ You need weight, not weights. You can also add extra resistance by holding jugs filled with water or sand, or putting full jugs, cans or bottles in a backpack and wearing it while doing bodyweight exercises.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have done Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, and you can get quite toned without using weights. She has a lot of strength exercises in there that use your own body weight as the resistance. You can add the weights you have to make them a bit more substantial.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds insane and please don't think i'm stupid or lazy or whatever but this is a serious question..

I know that for weight loss you need to build muscle BUT I have no access to a gym and the only weight's I have at home are 2x 4kg hand weights...

Anyway my question is this...

Does anyone know of any exercises / DVD's that will help me build muscle without having to use weights?

Thanks in advance..

Yup, body weight exercises. The problem with just doing them is that as you get stronger usually the only way UP is MORE, which leads to over use injuries. If you get a body weight routine make sure to get one that includes a lot of change ups so you are not do doing the same things every day. There are some great ones out there.

Why not also just get a few more bigger dumbbells? You can do a lot with dumbbells and kettlebells. And you can still do the body weight exercises. Change it up. Have some variety so you don't get bored and your muscles get the change up they need.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love bodyweight exercises and, where a lot of folks think they will build some strength and then you will have to lift weights to progress further, there are exercise guides out there that will enable you to learn how to keep progressing by making the bodyweight exercise increasingly harder so you continue to progress without weights.

What you will need eventually is a pull-up bar so you can develop your pulling muscles - back, torso, biceps and grip - but they can be bought cheaply.

I can recommend the book titled, "Your are your own Gym" - packed full of exercises and beginner to advanced exercise programs.

When I started out, I thought I was using a "poor relation" of strength approaches, but I am so loving this approach to developing real strength.

Welcome - and enjoy!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    HUGE supporter of body weight exercises/calisthenics. They will definitely help build muscle, as long as overload is still occurring.
    http://jasonferruggia.com/top-20-bodyweight-exercises-for-building-muscle-strength/

YES, my bro has barely touched a weight (I know guys are different) but just push-ups alone and it really makes a difference
  • sundayl369
    Options
    Just do push ups, squats and sit ups and your set. Just increase the repetitions, no need to do some crazy stuff to add more resistance.

Back when my brother lived with me he only did these 3 in the mornings everyday (1 set of each, surprisingly) and he was pretty ripped, not 6 pack ripped, but in very good shape (he didn't do any physical work apart from this)
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Okay, since someone has to ask...

My knees are knackered from rheumatoid arthritis. I have tried, and tried, and tried to figure out a way to do squats that doesn't cause excruciating pain, but haven't found one. The problem is, that's all anyone tells me to do. :( And it doesn't matter how much they fix my form, it hurts. Pain is not weakness leaving the body. Pain is pain. Pain is further damage to sensitive tissue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for at-home work that covers the same muscle groups that does NOT require that I hyperextend my knees repeatedly? I know I may have to do MORE exercises to get the same effect, but still...

Open to suggestions...

=Betty=
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are the best! I have numerous injuries (knees, hips, shoulders) so, weights are pretty difficult for me. I do a lot of yoga. Trust me it develops a lot of strength just holding yourself up in these various positions is a challenge. Sometimes you can get a free introductory yoga class and then 10 inexpensive classes afterwards to learn some of the basic moves and then keep them up at home. I do a few vinyasa's every morning along with plank, and isometrics and just plain old walking. I am pleased with my results. If you do the moves slowly and holding each position you will def. feel it!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

What he said.

I've also listed in my profile the workout routine that I used to go from roughly 215lbs down to 175lbs in about 3mos, all while still eating substantial amounts of food. It scales by nature, so anyone who has normal range of motion etc can do it (young, old, male, female, etc).

Good luck!
  • HannahsBestLife
    Options
    Aww you guys are all amazing thank you so much for all your replies :D I have been looking at all the site's etc and they all look good, I have written down a bunch of exercises and i'm about to go try them out :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    P90X all the way!
    All you need is a pull up bar or bands if you are happy to use the weights you have now.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    You might want to look into resistance band workouts. Easy, inexpensive, easy to store and carry way to build some muscle. I recommend bodylastic or black mountain ones (I've used both via friends and will be purchasing a bodylastics set).
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Aww you guys are all amazing thank you so much for all your replies :D I have been looking at all the site's etc and they all look good, I have written down a bunch of exercises and i'm about to go try them out :)

That's awesome! I would strongly advise however that you pick a program and work with it. Most of these programs are designed to work towards a specific goal (mine as well...the goal being fat loss and muscle retention, with large improvements in strength). If you just randomly grab exercises from wherever, your results may be less than stellar (this often leads to frustration and quitting).

Yes, it's better than nothing, but your efforts could be much better put to use.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    no
  • HannahsBestLife
    Options

That's awesome! I would strongly advise however that you pick a program and work with it. Most of these programs are designed to work towards a specific goal (mine as well...the goal being fat loss and muscle retention, with large improvements in strength). If you just randomly grab exercises from wherever, your results may be less than stellar (this often leads to frustration and quitting).

Yes, it's better than nothing, but your efforts could be much better put to use.

^^ EEEK, O.K - I will go back and just pick a program :) Thanks :D