Why are you doing this? (Fitness motivations)

Options

Replies

• smnmltn
    smnmltn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Honestly, chronic health problems can be very VERY expensive! I was sick and tired of being sick, BROKE and tired. I've been overweight my whole life, and diagnosed with multiple metabolic/endocrine disorders (including being an insulin-dependent diabetic for the last 23 years). My highest weight was over 300 lbs and that level of morbid obesity brought with it a host of other issues (physical, social, financial and emotional).
    I'm sure some will think there are other reasons, but with the recently weight loss, I'm off insulin and my meds are being cut with each drop in weight. I have more energy and less chronic pain flares. THIS is why I did this, and will continue to do this...I feel like I can participate in life and not just watch between naps. The body that is emerging is foreign to me...I don't recognize myself (how weird is that?). Smaller (&cheaper) clothing, yeah...that's nice. Having energy at the end of the day to workout and energy at the end of the week to go out...that's an amazing feeling!:bigsmile:
  • GreatShowdowns
    Options
    NO MORE SPANX! haha, but honestly, that would be nice.
  • Xephyr
    Xephyr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well......I saw this awesome top on Ebay.
    lol
    that I would need to get back in shape to look good in.

Of course all the other reasons like not doing it doesn't really feel good.
    My mother had to have both her knees removed. Mine crunch now as I get older and this extra weight is making it MUCH worse.
    We really don't function well as a machine when over weight and out of shape.
  • jemjemsh
    jemjemsh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So I can get big booty hoes.

Ahahaha, this cracked me up!

Mine is so I don't feel like hiding body parts with clothes, so I can have as good of a body as my dream guy and so I can be freakishly agile.
  • suckerlove
    Options
    My main motivation is getting pregnant and having a healthy pregnancy and carrying to term.
  • Kristen_nicole95
    Kristen_nicole95 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Motivation is to walk across my HS Graduation stage at a smaller size.
    I goal weight is 140ish. I want to be an inspiration to others that it is possible to
    take control of your life and that you don't have to be defined by your weight. I want to
    give people something to fight for, and change lives.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    NO MORE SPANX! haha, but honestly, that would be nice.

I've never worn spanx. Yuck.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    Motivation is to walk across my HS Graduation stage at a smaller size.
    I goal weight is 140ish. I want to be an inspiration to others that it is possible to
    take control of your life and that you don't have to be defined by your weight. I want to
    give people something to fight for, and change lives.
    you'll make it!
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    Main reason I started- I'm SO sick of comparing myself and being compared to my gorgeous tiny friends forEVER! I've always been the girl with awesome boobs and "cute" face when we go out........ I WANT TO BE THE HOTTY! And so help me, I will be!! Every drop of sweat, every aching muscle, every hour "wasted" at the gym, every binge avoided is worth the body I've never had! And the morning I wake up and see that flat stomach and toned arms and legs........ My dreams would of come true!

And now..... I feel like when i get to that "hot" body... my ex who dumped me is getting a quick pic just to remind him he is an IDIOT haha!- self-indulgent *high five to myself* lol
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    I want to be able to wear whatever I want without planning around certain body parts - and to look awesome naked
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For my health- my parents have diabetes, heart problems, obesity etc...Also I want to run circles around my kids and hubby( he has always been in good shape and run circle around me). I want to be able to play sports. I want to look like I "fit in" at the gym. I want to be able to wear anything, any style I want and look/feel good in it :bigsmile: I want to be told I am beautiful and believe it.:bigsmile:
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have the birthday as one of my best friends since pre-school ... I flew to Dallas to see him for the first time in 17 years last May.
    When I saw him, he looked the same, lean,fit,handsome,healthy ...
    When he saw me, he literally looked horrified and before either of us realized it he was holding me and crying and said
    "OMG, I didn't recognize you! You look like the fat girl that ate my Kimmy!"

I hurt when he said it, but worse, was when he clumsily tried to apologize and said "I'm sorry Cookie, it is just surprising to see two of you. I mean, to see you twice as big. I mean ... I'm sorry."

I realized he was right. The last time he saw me, I was a curvy size 7 and weighed 118 pounds and now I stood before him weighing 279 pounds wearing size 26 pants- tightly. If I kept this up ... I was going to end up even bigger.

He asked me why I stopped running, I was a cross country athlete in high school and college. I had no answer. He asked me why I stopped dancing. I danced for 19 years and even got accepted to Julliard when I was 16 ... Again, no answer ... He asked me why I stopped tumbling. I was training for the Olympics last time he'd seen me and had won divisionals and regionals twice. Are you surprised that I had no reason or excuse?

He woke me up. I went from beautifully fit and healthy to what was classified as super-morbid obesity.

That is my motivation.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    Main reason I started- I'm SO sick of comparing myself and being compared to my gorgeous tiny friends forEVER! I've always been the girl with awesome boobs and "cute" face when we go out........ I WANT TO BE THE HOTTY! And so help me, I will be!! Every drop of sweat, every aching muscle, every hour "wasted" at the gym, every binge avoided is worth the body I've never had! And the morning I wake up and see that flat stomach and toned arms and legs........ My dreams would of come true!

And now..... I feel like when i get to that "hot" body... my ex who dumped me is getting a quick pic just to remind him he is an IDIOT haha!- self-indulgent *high five to myself* lol
    *high five* I am sure he knows he is an idiot already
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It's fun. Seriously, I get grouchy if I don't get enough exercise in my day. My husband asks me everyday if I want a ride to work, and I usually answer "No thanks, I'll just ride my bike." My office is almost 10 miles from my home, and I ride to a from work pretty regularly. I tackle hills that make other cyclists cry. Oh, and when I encounter another cyclist on the road (not very many left this time of year), I'm definitely racing.

I lift because it keeps me strong. I don't really like going to the gym, but I do it because I like being strong. I like being able to haul around items that are almost 100 pounds.

As far as physical appearance goes, meh, it's okay. My body fat is around 22-23% now and that is a nice level for a woman. If I really wanted to alter my physical appearance, I'd just go get plastic surgery. It's easier to get the look you want that way, exercise will only give you what mother nature intended.
  • Kendrazombie
    Kendrazombie Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have elevated blood sugar, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My joints ached, I constantly felt tired and lazy and just started to loathe myself. I felt terrible because I couldn't play with my daughter more than 5 minutes without getting winded. My family is my main motivation. I'd love to be able to go biking and hiking with everyone. And definitely would be totally stoked if I actually looked good in a swim suit. Oooh, and I haven't been on a ride at a carnival in well over 12 years. I want to ride rides with my little one. Lately I have been able to keep up with her. She loves that I can run amuck with her all day. :)

Oops! Goals are to lose 100+ pounds. Be able to run without having to stop to breathe. Be able to bike all around town rather than drive.
    Dream body: 155 pounds or so, toned and healthy.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    I have the birthday as one of my best friends since pre-school ... I flew to Dallas to see him for the first time in 17 years last May.
    When I saw him, he looked the same, lean,fit,handsome,healthy ...
    When he saw me, he literally looked horrified and before either of us realized it he was holding me and crying and said
    "OMG, I didn't recognize you! You look like the fat girl that ate my Kimmy!"

I hurt when he said it, but worse, was when he clumsily tried to apologize and said "I'm sorry Cookie, it is just surprising to see two of you. I mean, to see you twice as big. I mean ... I'm sorry."

I realized he was right. The last time he saw me, I was a curvy size 7 and weighed 118 pounds and now I stood before him weighing 279 pounds wearing size 26 pants- tightly. If I kept this up ... I was going to end up even bigger.

He asked me why I stopped running, I was a cross country athlete in high school and college. I had no answer. He asked me why I stopped dancing. I danced for 19 years and even got accepted to Julliard when I was 16 ... Again, no answer ... He asked me why I stopped tumbling. I was training for the Olympics last time he'd seen me and had won divisionals and regionals twice. Are you surprised that I had no reason or excuse?

He woke me up. I went from beautifully fit and healthy to what was classified as super-morbid obesity.

That is my motivation.
    I am shocked by this - I won't ask as you said you had no answers but it's good to see woke up and started to love yourself once more instead of destroying who you used to be.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    It's fun. Seriously, I get grouchy if I don't get enough exercise in my day. My husband asks me everyday if I want a ride to work, and I usually answer "No thanks, I'll just ride my bike." My office is almost 10 miles from my home, and I ride to a from work pretty regularly. I tackle hills that make other cyclists cry. Oh, and when I encounter another cyclist on the road (not very many left this time of year), I'm definitely racing.

I lift because it keeps me strong. I don't really like going to the gym, but I do it because I like being strong. I like being able to haul around items that are almost 100 pounds.

As far as physical appearance goes, meh, it's okay. My body fat is around 22-23% now and that is a nice level for a woman. If I really wanted to alter my physical appearance, I'd just go get plastic surgery. It's easier to get the look you want that way, exercise will only give you what mother nature intended.
    amen!
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Cuz I want more tattoo's, including the one I'm working on on my stomach. And I wanna be able to rock it in a two piece this summer!!
  • aqua_marine_light
    Options
    I'm doing this because I don't feel like I've been "living". I've really just been taking up space for a lot of years, and I was sick and tired of it. I kept gaining weight, and the more I gained, the more secluded I became, and the more health problems I was getting. Currently trying to work on breaking that awful habit of staying away from people, but it's hard. They can be cruel, whether they mean to be or not. I want to get married someday, but I cannot expect someone else to love me when I disqust myself!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

What's your motivation? 1. Health, 2. get around better, 3. do things I could not do, 4. look better -- I have never been athletic. I have always been either obese/overweight or skinny but unfit. I want to change that...
    Goals? I have roughly met most of my size goals... actually exceeded them for the most part. Thought I would wind up XL shirt with 38 pants.. .Now in Lg shirt and 34 pants. I do want to redistribute my appearance though... More strength.
    Dream size / body? Athletic/fitness build. Body fat ratio of 10-15%. (currently around 25% I think) No real weight goal though it is currently set at 225... I could see dropping to 215 but not a major factor. Body fat percentage is more important to me.