What is your favorite book & why?

Options
123457»

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    The Power of One - Byrce courtnay

loved the book the film and the soundtrack have l read several times.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    One of my "2nd's" fav books, and one of the rare fictional books I've read and liked, The Outsiders.

SE Hinton??
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all of Jane Austen's books, but my favorite has to be Persuassion. It is such a beautiful story of love,and I am a sucker. I also love The Giver by Lois Lowry. Brilliant.

The Giver is so brilliant!
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    The Phantom of the Opera - best character ever!

Anything by Edgar Allan Poe

Harry Potter and Hunger Games Series

oh man - and i was falling in love with you until you added the hunger games!
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    In no particular order my top 3 books of all time have to be

How Green Was My Valley - Richard Llewellyn one of the most beautifully written books ever

The Diary Of Anne Frank - I read it at least once a year really puts my life into perspective and reminds me even at my age I can still learn a lot about humanity from a 13 year old girl

First Light - Geoffrey Wellum - The autobiography of an 18 year old Battle of Britain pilot , an amazing story and I have had the privilege to have met Geoffrey and shaken his hand .. for once in my life I was completely and utterly lost for words , I so wanted to thank him for what he did but the words wouldn't come out :blushing:
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, I don't feel I need to explain why!

yes, my favorite too, read it twice :0)
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Crack in the Line (Aldous Lexicon) By Micheal Lawrence :smile:

Some people may not of heard of it, I'm not sure.. But I love it! I read it twice when I was 14, fantastic storyline!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell.
    I read it the first time when I was 15, and many, many times since. It is just a wonderful story and I never tire of it.

My tastes run to more thrillers and mysteries now.
    My favorites of the past few years are Steig Larrson's books, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire", and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest".
    I really liked the Hunger Games series too.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be cliche and say the Hunger Games. What can I say, it was an awesome trilogy. Just hope the rest of the movies aren't as botched up as the first one was..

DITTO - You are so right - Fantastic books & not just for teenagers!!!
  • ashesfromfire
    Options
    I'm going to have to break this down a couple different ways

Favorite Book: (is potentially) Loose Woman by Sandra Cisneros (its an AMAZING collection of poetry - she may jut be my soul sister)

Favorite author: Margaret Atwood (I really enjoy her book The Edible Woman, but her essay The Female Body is the most astounding piece of literature I've ever encountered!)

Favorite Poem: The Sleeper, by Edgar Allen Poe

Favorite poet: A tie between Stephen Crane, Charles Baudelaire, And Edgar Allen Poe

Favorite Playwrite: Christopher Durang

Favorite script: (tie between) Beyond Therapy and Baby with The Bath Water (both Durang)

Favorite monologue: Multiple Personality Murder by Deborah Karczewski (when performed right - this piece is absolutely brilliant!)

.....alright - That's all I can think of right now
  • HayleyHat
    Options
    Tough one... I think I'll have to say "Violin" by Anne Rice. There's just something about it that I love, and will read over and over.

A very close second is The Bitterbynde trilogy by Cecilia Dart-Thornton, particularly The Ill-Made Mute. It's beautiful.
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine. It's just amazing, I haven't read it for a few years now and I think it will be the only book I will ever ready twice. I love books where people go back in time and live another life and this is one of the best I have read. It describes everything so well you nearly feel like you are living in that time yourself. Beautiful.

My friend lent this to me & after I moaned that | didn't like 'period drama!' I was told to shut up & just read it so I did ...... WOW - I absolutely loved it & learnt so much in the process of our history (UK)

But boy did I cry at some points

Fantastic book & thanks for putting it on the list - I think I'm gonna borrow it again :flowerforyou:
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Also love Harry Potters, One hundred years of solitude, Kite Runner

Top 3

Jane Eyre - Bronte
    The Shadow of the Wind - Zafon
    Birds without wings - de Berniere
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all of Jane Austen's books, but my favorite has to be Persuassion. It is such a beautiful story of love,and I am a sucker. I also love The Giver by Lois Lowry. Brilliant.

Yay, I'm not the only one who thinks Persuasion is better than the much more popular Pride & Prejudice. (Dont get me wrong, love that one too, but Persuasion is the best of the best!!)

I also love Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (and the sequels, Enna Burning and River Secrets)

Persuasion is also my favourite Jane Austen. I adore Captain Wentworth! Emma is my second favourite.
  • jodi41086
    Options
    I love love White Oleander( author-can't remember books are still packed away)
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    Lonesome Dove!!!
    epic, classic, romantic, western!
  • habapu
    habapu Posts: 25
    Options
    Looking for new reads.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Favorite author: Margaret Atwood (I really enjoy her book The Edible Woman, but her essay The Female Body is the most astounding piece of literature I've ever encountered!)

I LOVE Margaret Atwood. I have a signed copy of The Handmaid's Tale on my keepers shelf. :heart:
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The Walking Dead Rise of the Governor- May sound like a joke but I'm serious. This book made me feel every emotion and made me think about it long after reading it.
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Charles Martin When Crickets Cry. Great Story, very heart warming and inspiring