Replies

• denyse176
    denyse176 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GottaLoveRenee
    GottaLoveRenee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nutritionalist started my daughter on straight up 3TBS a day to correct thyroid and insulin resistance so I began researching it. Found out a ton of information. The book "Coconut Cure" is very helpful. A tsp in tea or coffee 20 minutes before meals aids in weight loss by decreasing cravings, correcting metabolism. I've personally experienced the decrease in cravings. It does so much more and I have some info on my profile.

I just purchased some and have used it lightly. I'm interested in learning more.
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Love coconut oil as well. Not for cooking for some reason (unless I'm making a curry or something else I actually want tasting of coconut), but in my coffee. I did start using it thinking of the health benefits, but now I just use it because I love it. I think I have 2 or 3 spoons of the stuff a day these days, and coffee's just not the same without...

I use Tiana brand, as that's what they happen to sell in the closest place I get it from.
  • lon008
    Options
    Hi, I have just started using coconut oil in my cooking, it's great. You mentioned that you use it on your skin - do you use it for a particular ailment? How do you apply it and do you mix it with anything else?
  • HayleyHat
    Options
    Hi, I have just started using coconut oil in my cooking, it's great. You mentioned that you use it on your skin - do you use it for a particular ailment? How do you apply it and do you mix it with anything else?
    Personally I just use it as a regular moisturiser! I massage it into the skin the same as I would any other. I coat my feet with it before bed and put cotton socks over the top, massage it into my face and use it as an eye cream before bed. I put it on my daughter if she has dry skin or a nappy rash.
    I've heard of people mixing it with sugar or salt to make a facial scrub, but it makes a good moisturiser just by itself.

I've found it great for eczema, and dry itchy scalp. :) Apparently it has a minor spf, something like 4, so helps protect your skin in the Summer without being over the top.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have read many good things about coconut oil. I do cook with it, but if I have too much it gives me acid reflux. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • GottaLoveRenee
    Options
    My husband and I've been using coconut oil since January 2012. Great stuff for SO MANY things. The brand I use (and is also the cheapest ) is the LouAna brand - found at Super Walmart in the cooking oil section. You can hardly detect any taste of coconut as this is much more neutral tasting than most of the others. Just make sure when using it internally is that it is the NON-hydrogenated kind with NO transfats. Also, you want to start with only a teaspoon or so at a time to build up to it so you don't get an upset stomach or cramps.

I use up to 3 Tablespoons a day. Good for hair, skin, and even found a great recipe for my own homemade deodorant! I was skeptical but it really does work and no, it does NOT leave an oily mess or stain on your shirts! It is Nature's miracle I say...Too many good things to list here but I swear I will never stop using it. We started using it originally for a possible cure for fighting the onslaught against Alzheimer's disease. We had nothing to lose and only hope to gain from using it. Alzheimer's Disease runs in my husbands family and so we thought it was worth a shot. My mother-in-law died this year from it and it was horrible watching her disease progress for over 10 years.
    I also have a LOT more energy since I started using it. We've completely stopped using margarine & use it in place of my EVOO as salad dressing with a bit of balsamic vinegar. I also found a recipe for making homemade chocolate bars using the oil with pure cocoa powder. I haven't tried it yet but will be very soon.

Sorry this was so long but I can't say enough good things about coconut oil.

Wow! Amazing
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Totally into coconut oil here! Using Nutiva right now and it's amazing. I read alot on coconutoil.com for information. I just use a dab for facial moisturizer. In the summer I didn't get a sunburn because I used coconut oil and not toxic sunscreen.
  • GottaLoveRenee
    Options
    Just reading how, when ingested, it is one of the only directly absorbed into the cells form of energy, never stored as fat and converted into energy immediately

This has been an informative topic.
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Bump...awesome info! Thanks :D
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I saturate the ends of my hair with it. African American hair--(well some of us) air or normal wear- dries up the ends of our hair and tangles into knots--it's awful. Coconut oil turns those ends into soft wavy strands that melt apart.

I also heard it was instrumental in weight loss--- but the heavy coconut-oily taste is a turn-off unless I am making a tropical tasting entree.
    I will have to try to get get used to it--as I plan to take it daily in smoothies.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • evolutioner
    Options
    Coconut Oil is awesome I've used it on savory dishes, deserts , fruit salads and its taste is oh so good
  • habapu
    habapu Posts: 25
    Options
    I need to look into this!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just reading how, when ingested, it is one of the only directly absorbed into the cells form of energy, never stored as fat and converted into energy immediately
    Wow!
    Do you have any evidence for these wild assertions?
    Coconut oil is fine but it isn't magical.

While we're at it, please provide any evidence that "oil pulling" has any efficacy whatsoever. Deepak Chopra doesn't count.
    All pseudoscience.
  • GottaLoveRenee
    Options
    I make a bath scrub by mixing it with sugar. My skin feels so amazing afterwards and its a fraction of the price of other skin scrubs.

Great idea! Even to give as gifts!
  • Gettinyoung
    Options
    Coconut oil is made up of medium chain fatty acids as apposed to long chain fatty acids found in other oils including olive oil. This is absorbed by the liver and used as energy immediately. Long chain fatty acids are more likely to be stored as fat. For weight loss, use coconut oil in place of other oils in cooking. Not sure taking as a supplement, especially 3-4 tbsp, is a good idea because each tbsp has about 120 cals.
  • Luvr2502
    Options
    I am a huge coconut oil advocate. I use it in my diet and topically!

Me too!! It's so much better for you than other oils and lotion.
  • JBuehrer1
    JBuehrer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband and I've been using coconut oil since January 2012. Great stuff for SO MANY things. The brand I use (and is also the cheapest ) is the LouAna brand - found at Super Walmart in the cooking oil section. You can hardly detect any taste of coconut as this is much more neutral tasting than most of the others. Just make sure when using it internally is that it is the NON-hydrogenated kind with NO transfats. Also, you want to start with only a teaspoon or so at a time to build up to it so you don't get an upset stomach or cramps.

I use up to 3 Tablespoons a day. Good for hair, skin, and even found a great recipe for my own homemade deodorant! I was skeptical but it really does work and no, it does NOT leave an oily mess or stain on your shirts! It is Nature's miracle I say...Too many good things to list here but I swear I will never stop using it. We started using it originally for a possible cure for fighting the onslaught against Alzheimer's disease. We had nothing to lose and only hope to gain from using it. Alzheimer's Disease runs in my husbands family and so we thought it was worth a shot. My mother-in-law died this year from it and it was horrible watching her disease progress for over 10 years.
    I also have a LOT more energy since I started using it. We've completely stopped using margarine & use it in place of my EVOO as salad dressing with a bit of balsamic vinegar. I also found a recipe for making homemade chocolate bars using the oil with pure cocoa powder. I haven't tried it yet but will be very soon.

Sorry this was so long but I can't say enough good things about coconut oil.

please share the chocolate bars recipe!
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Wow!
    Do you have any evidence for these wild assertions?
    Coconut oil is fine but it isn't magical.

While we're at it, please provide any evidence that "oil pulling" has any efficacy whatsoever. Deepak Chopra doesn't count.
    All pseudoscience.

I haven't read through them all so don't shoot the messenger, but....:
    Dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity. (http://www.springerlink.com/content/02ngg2413wm2w630/)
    MCT (MCFA) increase energy expenditure, may result in faster satiety and facilitate weight control when included in the diet (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.abstract)
    MCFA hold potential as weight loss agents. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320597011430)
    Consumption of a diet rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) results in greater loss of adipose tissue compared with Long Chain Triglycerides (LCT), perhaps due to increased energy expenditure and fat oxidation observed with MCT intake. Thus, MCTs may be considered as agents that aid in the prevention of obesity and potentially stimulate weight loss. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12634436?dopt=Abstract)
    Consumption of MCT enhances Energy Expenditure and fat oxidation in obese women, when compared to LCT consumption. Substitution of MCT for LCT prevents long-term weight gain via increased EE. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12532160)
    Oxidization of dietary fat results in diminished fat storage, loss of Body Weight and reduction in subcutaneous adipose tissue. Furthermore, MCT consumption stimulates Energy Expenditure and fat oxidation. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12975635)