I want to RUN

Options
Little Thanksgiving morning NSV.

I have been too heavy to run since I was 12 years old. I have always been jealous of runners and dreamed of doing it.

When I started off 8 months ago, I could not run for 15 seconds. This morning I was on a lovely little walk and decided to try to run as long as I could.

I ran for 3 minutes! Could not believe it. I know it doesn't sound like much but it meant a lot to me. Now I know with determination, I CAN do it!

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You sure can!

Congratulations, and here's to getting stronger and stronger. :drinker:

Happy Thanksgiving.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Of course you can! Way to go and keep up the good work!
  • Nalazirk
    Options
    You can TOTALLY do it... Try to find people to run with... look at The Daily Mile... and work on/ research running form... Keep going! :wink:
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I've been doing the C25K and my first 3 minute run was hell but I was so proud, I know the feeling!
    You should try to do intervals of running more often, maybe even the C25K. :D
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Great! Have you seen the C25k free podcasts on the nhs site? I have never been a runner (even for the years of my life when I was slim and fit) but I am managing to work through C25K. On week 4 now and I can run for 5 minutes at a go. Might be worth a try for you?
  • runboostie
    runboostie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    YAY! I want to want to run.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!!
  • rubypoh
    rubypoh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!!

Great job.

What is NSV?
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nice work!!! When I started running a few years ago (only ~20 lbs overweight, but pretty out of shape), I could only run (very slowly) for 30 seconds at a time. I just told myself it was okay to walk if I needed to. It only took a month of switching between running/walking until I was able to run 3 miles without stopping! You can do it, you just have to work at it, be persistent, and patient. You got this!!!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    WTG!! Keep going!!
  • meglash
    Options
    Awesome job! That's a HUGE NSV!! Before you know it you'll be running 5 minutes, then 10, then 15 and so on. If you haven't already, check out the C25K program. I'm finishing up week 6 now, and I can't recommend it enough.
  • dgr93
    dgr93 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well done! that's a great achievement, this is only the start :) xx
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request. We have a lot in common. I just started running in March...couldn't even run for 15 secs when I started...I now run 5K every time I run.

You should look into the Couch to 5K program...I used it to build up my endurance the easy way.

Wanting to run is half the battle...now you just have to take your body along for the ride!

Happy Running!
  • optigal
    optigal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!!

Great job.

What is NSV?

Non Scale Victory
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. And if you can do it for 3 minutes, you can train for much longer times/distances. Check out C25K! A few tips though:
    - Do some leg strength like lunges and squats with some leg lifts.
    - Get a good pair of running shoes fitted at a running store.
    - Follow the program exactly.

Have fun!
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    totally get it! amazing feeling esp when you could never have imagined yourself doing it. i've made it to 5k where most of it is running (plodding)
  • optigal
    optigal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment! I shattered my ankle 5 years ago and had doubts that I would ever be able to walk across the street. I am now walking 5K 2-3 times a week, and am starting to incorporate little 2 or 3 minute sprints ,5 or 6 times during my walks. My ankle screams for me to stop but I push on, because I desperately want to run much like you do. Keep up the good work. Friend me if you want.
  • NickDHussin
    Options
    Awesome job! I've been doing the C25K and my first 3 minute run was hell but I was so proud, I know the feeling!
    You should try to do intervals of running more often, maybe even the C25K. :D

^^^^ This all the way
    7 weeks ago I probably couldn't keep 6mph up for a minute. I am now able to run 22 minutes at 6mph...7 freaking weeks!

It will be tough but just get over the mental block that you can't...because you can!
  • Swede04
    Options
    Congrats! Now tomorrow run for 4 minutes!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!