Can you keep it off? scary article

Options
124»

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's impossible but for me it's not working. I eat anywhere from 600 to 1800 calories a day (sometimes more, at weekends, sometimes less) and exercise 7 days a week, 45 minutes minimum, 2 hours max and do not lose weight. I gain muscle but barely lose fat. You would think I was tiny now, but I'm 5'5.5, 127lb's and 21.2% bf. I can't lose weight and if I eat more or exercise less I gain. It's horrible :/ I hope no one else gets stuck in this rut.
    Something tells me it has to do with eating as low as 600 calories - or less on occasion - and not having any rest days. Your cortisol levels may be quite elevated due to this extreme stress you are placing on it and holding substantial amounts of water weight.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I agree the article was bitter, whiny, and defeatist.... But I can relate to it. Truth is, she never had a good role model to teach her how to be healthy. What parent let's her 9 yr old daughter diet, first of all? Second of all.... Diet hot dogs??? I wouldn't let my dog eat those!

She struggled on her own with no guidance since she was a young child. She is still mentally a hungry child inside a fat woman's body.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I don't get what was scary about that article.

It could just be entitled "Long term VLCDs are a bit rubbish".

Maybe I should write an article with the snazzy heading "Suitable calorie deficits coupled with flexible dietary strategies, patience consistency and dietary adherence lead to long term weight regulation."

Because that would be really popular....

this. :)
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Aha thanks, but that's my inspiration! That was me at 112lb's (8st) and when I was happiest weight wise. But thanks :)

You are 5'5 and once weighed 112 pounds?! And I'm assuming your a grown woman.

I can't wrap my head around the desire to be that thin at all being 5'4 myself. Even sans muscle mass. I think the last time I saw 112 pounds was when I was middle school *L*
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The writer of the article seems rather bitter and b*tchy and assumes that everyone (including medical professionals) "hates fat people." Even in the end, she's eating way too little and she hates it and is willing to make herself miserable forever? WTF? This article sucks.

I found her to be bitter as well....wasn't sure if it was the mood I was in yesterday when I read it, but you're right.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    magic mushrooms? I don't know where this thread is going, back to nature or nurture? hmmm....
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I read the article. My experience was different. I lost the weight and I've kept it off over a year. I've changed my eating habits. I've made the habits life long and sustainable. I would have done it sooner if I had the knowledge, it's all about calories and not the faddish diets that are not sustainable and drive you mentally insane as well as yo-yo you to death.

It is all in your mindset and doing what is sustainable for YOU. What is sustainable for one person may not be sustainable for another. Experimenting and finding your own way is key. There is no one size fits all. But sustainability is key.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, most of us were never taught very well, and have to learn proper nutrition and exercise on our own. And most of us learn poorly. But it is all about sustainability. You just can't lose weight and then go back to bad habits. Losing weight is not the hardest part, it is learning to function better and sticking to it.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    ughhh yes you can keep it off and it's not scary...
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    so we all agree it's in your head. it's not rocket science that if you eat healthy and work out then you lose. So how do you deal with the "in your head" aspect of it? for me it's relaxation. Sounds weird i know, but there's nothing better then curling up on the couch with a good book and a bowl full of chips. or when I'm sitting downstairs watching the football game, i want something to munch on that isn't in the "no/low" carb category. It's in my head, i know that...even after seeing my recent results and have NSV's, i still binged on bad carbs. i'm not depressed or stressed out or have bad karma, i just see it as an end to a crazy day. So how do you deal with that? besides venting? how do you deal with the mental aspect of needing to lose 40lbs? fake it 'til you make it? because I don't know about you, but the cravings for carbs becomes almost obsessive, and I'm not talking about 20g here or there, i'm talking 200g in one sitting.
  • zen_kat
    Options
    Yup exactly and this is why i think anti depressents should be used less. Just think alcohol / tobacco / anti depressents all short term solutions to relieve stress.

If you look into studies done on things like magic mushrooms you see that instead of acting to relieve the sympton like the above drugs which mess with the brain in negative ways. They stop you feeling mostly i find.

I've been depressed since I was a child. My doctor and I have come to the agreement that my brain just doesn't produce enough endorphins to keep me moderately content. So, I disagree with anti-depressants being a 'short-term' solution. (I know you said "used less", and that I might be in your category of still taking them). I understand that I'll probably be on them for life because my brain doesn't function properly. And when I was really (I mean super duper stressed - homicidal/suicidal thoughts) yeah, my doc put me on Xanax and it did turn me into a zombie. But I think I needed that at the time, because I couldn't find that "inner peace" or calm for a while. But after counseling and dealing with my circumstances I didn't need the Xanax anymore. (haven't taken it in over a year and a half.) But I'm basically on "maintenance" anti-depressants. And I feel plenty. And often. I can laugh again, I can cry. I've have such a wider array of emotions that I ever had as a child. Sometimes I'm filled with awe at myself at the way something can touch my heart now in ways that it never was able to before.
    But like I said, I'm just disagreeing with you and giving my opinion based on my own experiences.

so we all agree it's in your head. it's not rocket science that if you eat healthy and work out then you lose. So how do you deal with the "in your head" aspect of it? for me it's relaxation. Sounds weird i know, but there's nothing better then curling up on the couch with a good book and a bowl full of chips. or when I'm sitting downstairs watching the football game, i want something to munch on that isn't in the "no/low" carb category. It's in my head, i know that...even after seeing my recent results and have NSV's, i still binged on bad carbs. i'm not depressed or stressed out or have bad karma, i just see it as an end to a crazy day. So how do you deal with that? besides venting? how do you deal with the mental aspect of needing to lose 40lbs? fake it 'til you make it? because I don't know about you, but the cravings for carbs becomes almost obsessive, and I'm not talking about 20g here or there, i'm talking 200g in one sitting.

I have a hard time with the "vegging" out on the couch with a big bad snack. What I've had to do was go through my pantry and practically throw out anything and everything that would weaken my will power (most of it was expired anyway.) My husband still buys the naughty snacks but he puts them on the top shelf where I can't reach (I'm short.) I'll also make him hide his junk food from me. If I have to tear the house apart to find something I'm less likely to cave into it. I'll enjoy the little .67 oz bags of rice crisps, they're flavorful and low in calorie and usually will hit the craving spot and I'll be okay.

Another thing is teaching yourself to not mindlessly shovel food in when your mind is busy watching TV or reading a book. Maybe chewing gum will help, something to keep your mouth busy (mint flavors work well, because it discourages snacking due to the odd flavor combinations). Or holding a stress ball or stroking a pet. Something to keep your hands busy while you reteach yourself that you can enjoy your vegging out activities (our stress reducers) without needing to constantly eat. One of my stress reducers is crocheting, which is pretty cool because I need both hands to do that. And I can't keep touching the greasy/chocolately/messy food and then touch my yarn, (especially if I want to give what I'm making away as a gift.) Hope that helps you get a few ideas or encourages you in some way.
  • fraser112
    Options

Yup exactly and this is why i think anti depressents should be used less. Just think alcohol / tobacco / anti depressents all short term solutions to relieve stress.

If you look into studies done on things like magic mushrooms you see that instead of acting to relieve the sympton like the above drugs which mess with the brain in negative ways. They stop you feeling mostly i find.

I've been depressed since I was a child. My doctor and I have come to the agreement that my brain just doesn't produce enough endorphins to keep me moderately content. So, I disagree with anti-depressants being a 'short-term' solution. (I know you said "used less", and that I might be in your category of still taking them). I understand that I'll probably be on them for life because my brain doesn't function properly. And when I was really (I mean super duper stressed - homicidal/suicidal thoughts) yeah, my doc put me on Xanax and it did turn me into a zombie. But I think I needed that at the time, because I couldn't find that "inner peace" or calm for a while. But after counseling and dealing with my circumstances I didn't need the Xanax anymore. (haven't taken it in over a year and a half.) But I'm basically on "maintenance" anti-depressants. And I feel plenty. And often. I can laugh again, I can cry. I've have such a wider array of emotions that I ever had as a child. Sometimes I'm filled with awe at myself at the way something can touch my heart now in ways that it never was able to before.
    But like I said, I'm just disagreeing with you and giving my opinion based on my own experiences.
    Im glad you have improved and i agree possibly 2% of people ( just pulled that number out my *kitten*) might not be able to fix it but i stand by what i said.

Have you tried a high fat diet ? Or any mind altering drugs or getting help talking it through with someone? Im not saying do it on your own but feeling bad is like a cancer in your mind that you control and you always control how you feel. I would bet £100 if you gave me your brain for a year i could fix it so you never need the numbing drugs again.

Honestly if i had never fixed my depression and that sedation was my only choice i would have killed myself. Hence why i tried everything and found the solution. Its just like obesity in changing behaviors and dealing with the past you bury so deep you dont even know its there.