walking for losing

Options
i was wondering if it really works. i've started this week walking 60 min a day 7/7 days a week. i'm dieting of course,does walking and only walking like phisycal activity help losing fat ?

Replies

• jamantha
    jamantha Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Six years ago I lost 6 stones by healthy eating and walking. It works!

(Unfortunately I didn't keep it up and now I have to lose a lot of it again, but that's another story. And yes, I just got a new pair of walking shoes this week :smile:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so :frown:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yes.. combined with diet changes too. my aunt lost 60 pounds by walking and making changes in her diet.
    the only downside was that she had a lot of loose skin . if she had been doing weight training and strength exercises to keep as much of her lean body mass as possible while she lost then this wouldnt have been an issue. now she's stating to work on a strength training plan, but it would have saved time had she just done the weights at the same time
  • Ilikeyoursleeves
    Ilikeyoursleeves Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes. Yes. I lost 20lbs back in 2004 by walking 5km a day 4 to 5 days a week. Took me about 4 months. Hang in there!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Whatever you can stick to that burns calories.
  • locuras928
    Options
    Hello:
    I've noticed that walking does help. However, you must get your heart rate up in order to lose weight. You can go online and check what your heart rate should be when wanting to lose weight. Walking helps! Good luck!
  • binkydo123456789
    binkydo123456789 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    years ago I lost 80 pounds by walking and changing my eating habits---never just on flat roads tho---i did up and down many hills
  • babbs770
    babbs770 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Any time that I have lost weight successfully (going from 191 to 179, and then two years later 179-165) I did it through walking and controlling calorie intake. It absolutely works! Good luck on your weight loss goal :) It is all about sticking to one form of movement that you love and allowing your body to be healthy.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Back when I had my first kid I was 235lbs at my 6-week post-delivery checkup. I started eating healthy (1200-1400 vegetarian cals a day) and walking 6 miles per day. 2 in the morning and 4 at night. I lost 35lbs in 6wks doing only that, before "falling off the wagon" and gaining again.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really does work. Anything that you do to keep moving will help you lose weight.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Am not a professional but to the best of my knowledge walking helps a lot in loosing weight because it burns calories. Coupled with dieting, it's a win-win. You will need to incorporate other forms of exercise as u progress, good luck.
  • SH1969
    SH1969 Posts: 13
    Options
    Okay, so I've increased my steps from 2,500 a day (average, but often lower) to over 10,000 a day and not changed my horrendous diet one jot and I've lost 2 kg already. Granted, its only Week One of this activity regime, and I expect the loss to drop considerably as my body adjusts, but even at 500 grams a week, that's still a loss without any dietary changes.

That said, I do intend to make my diet a little healthier by reducing red meat and increasing those vegetables I can stomach.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It definitely works. I lost my 1st 15lbs with walking. I was so out of shape & never really exercised before.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hello:
    I've noticed that walking does help. However, you must get your heart rate up in order to lose weight. You can go online and check what your heart rate should be when wanting to lose weight. Walking helps! Good luck!

Glad you added that part. I have a friend who complains she has walked for ages and she never loses weight. Then we joined a gym together and she complained she couldn't see the t.v. from the treadmill and why hasn't she lost weight there too?! Oh my gosh I try to speed her up but she won't so no weight loss either!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Numerous studies have shown walking is a superb for weight loss.

But it should be as brisk as you can manage.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hello:

Is this really true? I've often wondered that myself, because I walk a LOT every day, but not to where my heart-rate is up very much. However, it's still physical activity and the process of moving our bodies takes energy...way more energy than just sitting around. Hence, calories burned.

Off to the internet! (I'm sure I've looked it up before, but I can't recall the specifics.)
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    "Slower" activities such as walking is good for losing FAT, however if your goal is to just lose weight - asap - then running or other more vigorous activities will make that happen quicker.

I lost 3-4 kg in a month last spring by eating healthy and taking 1 hour walk/day. Way more than I should have been able to drop without starving myself at my weight(I was about 55 kg / 5 foot 1). I can't remember but I think I did the 12 minute Bodyrock workout 3-4 times a week as well...
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It helps a great deal. More so if you increase your stride, increase your speed and increase your arm swing where you are using your shoulder muscle than you can burn 20 to 40% more calories as you would if you were to walk using Nordic Poles or Urban Poles. If you are not sure what that is then just google.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    Yup it works I've been walking allot for 2 weeks and I've lost about 7 pounds..
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have been walking nearly every day for nearly 4mths it is my only excercise and i am losing pounds and inches, slow but sure- feel better too:wink::smile: