How do you loose weight when you are putting on muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    you know you wont be building muscle when you have weightloss in your head and do alot of cardio
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    you know you wont be building muscle when you have weightloss in your head and do alot of cardio, the muscle you think you gain is you getting leaner en more defined i geuss
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Keep doing exactly what you are doing as it sounds like it's working toward your actual goal. Ignore all the chatter about what can and can't be done in a deficit because it's irrelevant. Continue your workouts, maintain your calorie deficit, limit your sweets to one day per week. If you're having trouble staying under on calories then adding some cardio is a fine idea. Try hard not to overeat on your training days. That's pretty much the formula I used for myself this year and I've been pleased with the results so far.

Keep on keeping on,

Dave

THIS^^

If you want to lose fat it's all about a calorie deficit pretty much. Your workout involves a lot of cardio already. I lost 60 lbs of fat while building muscle and getting stronger. Since I'm a girl I didn't get much bigger, but my DXA scan showed I didn't lose lean body mass while on a significant calorie deficit. Everyone is different. It sounds like what you are doing is working. That last bit of fat will come off slowly. When you get down low enough you can't eat at too deep of a deficit, here's why:

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

So this last bit requires a bit more patience and a nice slow deficit that takes a bit longer compared to those of us who have or once had significant fat stores.
  • jenifujita
    jenifujita Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right on Bobbie!!!! Perfect answer!! Thanks for this.