Slim fast?

Options
Hi.

I'm considering starting slim fast to kick start my weight loss...
I know about healthy eating so i'm fairly certain that i could come off the slim fast diet and lose more... but i wanted to know peoples thoughts.. please bear in mind I have a huge amount to lose, so I am not looking at toning and firming yet. I'm planning on swimming regularly and any other cardio I can attempt so i'm not planning on simply eating myself slim.

Please, don't have a go at me for considering this, remember that you are not me. I am at my last tether, and I am not patient enough to see a difference slowly. I need to see that things are working :embarassed:

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Used it. I'm covered in scars. I regret ever using it.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Do what you wanna do. I can tell you right now that if you stay at the same calories you're going for now, then the slim fast isn't going to make an ounce of difference. It's pretty much all calories in and calories out.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Just stay under your calorie goal there no fast way to do it it takes time the minute you start eating right after slim fast you will gain all the weight back
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not a slim fast kind of girl. However I certainly understand that you need a jump start as I felt the same way when I started here, if I could just get the first week to show a loss I'd take it from there. If you think it might help you short term go for it. This is such a mental journey and 90% of this is getting your head in the game, if slim fast will help you get there do it! Wishing you the best!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've never had luck with Slim Fast.

I swim several times per week and it really does help with exercise (easy on joints) and sodium regulation. If you're bloated swim for about 20-30 minutes and you'll notice a difference the next day. Also, go for a walk for about 30 minutes per day. You can push the baby in the stroller. I did that at first and it really helped. Pretty soon you'll be up to walking 2 miles easy. I can easily do 3-4 miles now. Maybe do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. That helps a LOT. She'll kick your *kitten* in a very good way!

Also, log your food in every day. Log the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.

Be sure to get your husband on board with this so he can give you encouragement. You look like you have a great family. Good luck.
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    as above, used slimfast on and off for years and never really got anywhere and always put it back on, was always hungry. This time round have logged all my food kept under goal and when I felt up to it started regularly exercising ( whatever works for you, swimming and walking is a fab place to start) honestly just watching what you eat will work soo much better and you'll be able to keep it off easier and you'll be surprised how quick it comes off. Good luck sweetpea x xx
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you eat less calories using slimfast or just through eating healthy. You will lose weight at an equal speed.

I do think you will feel better with real food though. I know from experience that slimfast leaves you really hungry all the time and all the chemicals in there definitely makes you feel really groggy and tired.

And yes, when I used slimfast I gained all the weight back as well. You are better off learning to chose healthier foods right from the start and learning to stick with that.
  • leeleeloulou
    Options
    thanks guys, i think that's made my mind up. There seems to be very few "success" stories with slim fast so i'll stick to what i am doing now.
    anyone got any tips for working split shifts while we're here. i'm a community carer (home help) and some days it's difficult to find time to have any food other than what i can grab from a bakery.. Any tips here?

thanks guys you've helped a lot
    xxxxxx
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you eat less calories using slimfast or just through eating healthy. You will lose weight at an equal speed.

I do think you will feel better with real food though. I know from experience that slimfast leaves you really hungry all the time and all the chemicals in there definitely makes you feel really groggy and tired.

And yes, when I used slimfast I gained all the weight back as well. You are better off learning to chose healthier foods right from the start and learning to stick with that.

Slim fast left me hungry and so I snacked =s a pointless exercise. just log everything on here and keep generally under your calories.

Polyfilla did not work for me. I am just glad I found this place.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, i think that's made my mind up. There seems to be very few "success" stories with slim fast so i'll stick to what i am doing now.
    anyone got any tips for working split shifts while we're here. i'm a community carer (home help) and some days it's difficult to find time to have any food other than what i can grab from a bakery.. Any tips here?

xxxxxx

Take a tub of Bulgar wheat or Quinoa salad. edited to add make it the day before so there is less rush in the morning.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

xxxxxx

You can plan your food better, or carry out enough research to find out that nutrient timing is mostly irrelevant, and that being hungry for the ten minutes the discomfort lasts for, never hurt anybody.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who's ever done it has put it back on.... It may help to kick start your weightloss but it's not sustainable.

Have you googled your TDEE and BMR, to find out how many calories you should be eating for your height and current weight?

I'm in Swansea too if you want to add me as a friend.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options

xxxxxx

Just make sure you have healthy snacks in your bag. Make sandwiches the night before, carry fruit around or some nuts. Also, if you are on the run a lot there's nothing wrong with having a slimfast shake or bar in your bag. As a diet in itself I don't advocate it because I don't think it teaches you about nutrition, but if having that in your bag stops you from going to a bakery or getting fast food while you're in a hurry then it's got to be a better option. Don't try and overhaul everything immediately. Take small steps and change a few things at a time and you're more likely to be able to maintain the new lifestyle. Good luck!
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I use it sometimes, and I like it, but I don't "diet" with it.

I sometimes need to go on a liquid fast to get my mind and body focused. I have not done a full fledged water and juice only fast yet partly because I'm hypoglycemic, but drinking Slim Fast helps me get the vitamins, nutrients, and calories I need when I'm fasting solid foods. It's definitely not a miracle worker in and of itself, and, like others have said, your success with weight loss is really about taking in less calories than you expend per day. Slim Fast or not.

Also, I tend to work through my lunch breaks. Drinking Slim Fast at lunch, again, helps to ensure that I'm getting the vitamins, nutrients, and calories I need to make it through my day.

I don't see anything wrong with drinking Slim Fast as long as you keep it in perspective and realize it's not a miracle formula.
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options

xxxxxx

I work rotating shifts. I often will get home at 1030pm and up again at 4am to get to my next shift. I am a single mom w/2 kids. So mealtime and food shopping is difficult to get food for them to actually eat vs what I want/need for me. What works best for me is preparing ahead. When I have the time I will make a full size recipe. Then I portion it out for meals. All measured and ready to roll. I have MY shelf in the fridge. The kids know that is off limits. That way I know what I have available for me. I also keep some snacks in my locker/truck/purse. I keep protein drinks and snack bars that do not need to be refrigerated. I always have a few of them (different kinds to work for whatever I may be hungry for at that moment) in my purse for when Im caught off guard or just plain hungry. It really does make a difference!!! I have tried many many kinds but there are certain ones I love and actually look forward to.
    Its tough, but I look at it as a challenge. I like to see my shelft stocked and ready to go! And its a great feeling knowing Im doing it right and Im prepared (plus the $ saved from not grabbing this junk or that junk is nice too!!)
    Good Luck!!!! Set small goals at first, see one, pat yourself on the back, then set another goal juuust a wee bit higher. One ste at a time and you will get there!
  • ym2011
    ym2011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Leelee, l understand your need to see a difference quickly. I am also am impatient dieter. I am not sure about the taste of the Slimfast shakes these days. Tried it in 2003 and did not like it. Sounds to me like what you really are looking for is a workable liquid diet or perhaps a mix of liquid and a bit of food so you do not fee deprived. There is a fantastic example you can follow. I am in the UK so these are not available to me so l use a high protein shake but l have more food in my diet.

See the link to this wonderful lady. She is my inspiration and all her advise is free http://www.easywayshow.com/index.html

Good luck :-)
  • WobbyTum
    Options
    I'm going against the grain here!
    I've been on slim fast for 2 weeks and have lost 7lbs (I've got 2.5st left to lose). Yes, I could have lost that by cutting my calories to 1200 with 'normal' food but for me the deciding factor was to get into the mindset of not picking. I am a mum to 2 girls (5 and 3) and I'm also a childminder so I am surrounded by food and snacks most of the day and I found I was snacking with the children when they did, plus the odd 5 (or 10!) biscuits here and there and then finishing what they didn’t eat of their evening meals before eating with my family later on.
    By introducing slim fast and the 3-2-1 plan I had a shake for breakfast (not white toast with lashings of butter!) then a snack mid morning with them (usually fruit), shake for lunch, snack mid afternoon (yogurt) then I could still eat a healthy meal in the evening but I was mindful that it was the right portion size with lots of veg. The first day I was hungry but now I don't notice that I'm not scoffing the whole way through the day. I’m not thinking about food all day long either (I’m sure naturally thin people don’t!).
    I intend to continue until Christmas and then introduce an extra meal at a time but sticking to a 1200 calorie intake. I hope by then to have lost a stone and my mind and stomach will only expect food at the right times!
    I don’t have time (or energy) for extra exercise at the moment but hope in the new year that this will change and I can do more than just the school run and chasing round after toddlers all day!
    I think there are successes and 'failures' with all diets but they all boil down to calories in versus calories out. Eat less; move more and they weight will come off. Drastically restricting calories (cambridge, lighterlife, Exante etc) will show quicker results in the short term but there is always the risk on putting in back on, especially if you try to go back to your usual eating habits.
    Good luck hun with whatever plan you try.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I use it sometimes, and I like it, but I don't "diet" with it.

I sometimes need to go on a liquid fast to get my mind and body focused. I have not done a full fledged water and juice only fast yet partly because I'm hypoglycemic, but drinking Slim Fast helps me get the vitamins, nutrients, and calories I need when I'm fasting solid foods. It's definitely not a miracle worker in and of itself, and, like others have said, your success with weight loss is really about taking in less calories than you expend per day. Slim Fast or not.

Also, I tend to work through my lunch breaks. Drinking Slim Fast at lunch, again, helps to ensure that I'm getting the vitamins, nutrients, and calories I need to make it through my day.

I don't see anything wrong with drinking Slim Fast as long as you keep it in perspective and realize it's not a miracle formula.

I do this too. Sometimes i have a shake after dinner because thats my trouble spot.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast years ago, I liked the taste, but it left me STILL HUNGRY...I need something to last me a few more hours...I use a shake by GNLD in the morning and it lasts me all the way to lunch time...GNLD is found all over the world, but not in stores...google it on the internet
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to eat : )) I couldn't see my dinner being10oz of liquid and doing much for me @ 190 +/- calories - not when I could have something like 2c cauliflower, 1c broccoli and 4 oz chkn breast @ 212 calories, or 1c broccoli with 1/8 cheesy sauce and 4 oz swai fish @ 172 calories. Sorry, I need real food to walk away full and happy. I also plan a day ahead for lunches at work and always have 2-3 pieces of fruit with me, and lots of water. To drink my lunch or dinner, I would think I was starving, lol. But, everyone is different.