diet pop?

Options
Does anyone drink diet pop. I really dislike tea/ coffee.. but everytime i go without drinking a pop for a day i get massive headaches?
can you still loose the weight with drinking diet pop?

Replies

• tishka11
    Options
    Diet pop is full of salt so will make you retain water, thus it will seem like you dont lose weight....if its caffeinated, which im assuming it is, that will be why you are getting headaches when you dont have it.
    Probs best not to have it, as it does seem to stall weight loss a bit...and it full of crap thats nowhere near good for you, plus the whole caffeine thing
    Having it sometimes isnt too bad, but i wouldnt recommend everyday :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think every once in a while diet pop is ok. I wouldnt chug a 24pk or two a day, but maybe 1-2 cans a day is ok. I have Caffeine Free Diet Coke in the fridge :)
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Yes.

Agreed. However, if you're getting headaches from not drinking diet soda, that means you're drinking too much caffeine. I would try to limit myself and drink more water.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I have been drinking Diet soda for years. I don't drink coffee so that is my caffeine fix. I don't drink as much as I used to. I also buy soda in the 2 Liter bottle now this way I can see how much I am drinking.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    7.5 ounce cans should take care of the caffeine dep. If not, they make caffeinated mints and other stuff like that. Just don't go for the energy drinks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you get headaches going without it, then drink it. It will not impact your weight loss assuming that you are tracking calories.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    There really ISN'T as much sodium in diet soda as people think. The amount in cheese or dairy is much, much higher.

both my Dr. and Nutritionist said that they're fine in moderation.

And no, the amount of caffiene won't cause you to become dehydrated, as it's minimal compared to the liquid intake

These forums HATE diet soda, lol
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    One stalk of celery has more sodium in it than a diet soda. How is diet soda "full of salt?" I really wish people would actually educate themselves before spouting complete nonsense.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I dont think any one item could keep you from losing weight. I mean in theory you could eat 5,000 cal a day if you eere active enough to burn them off. and since diet soda has neglible calories I don't see why people think it would halt their weight loss. Yes the sodium content is high but even so sodium alone shouldnt keep you from losing weight provided you're doing everything else "correctly" with diet soda being your one vice.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Again, 15-30mg of sodium is not "high." A single serving of fruits or vegetables will have more sodium than that. Is fruit high sodium?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    One stalk of celery has more sodium in it than a diet soda. How is diet soda "full of salt?" I really wish people would actually educate themselves before spouting complete nonsense.

You have inspired me to have my diet sodas with a stalk of celery sticking out of it....... and vodka
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you are getting headaches from the lack of caffeine, try slowly lowering your intake a little bit each day. This way your body will adjust to the lack of caffeine. I would not suggest just giving it up unless you have a few days that you can do nothing until all caffeine is out of your system. I don't drink coffee and diet pop is my caffeine fix every morning so I know where you are coming from. I usually have an open can of pop in the fridge that I will take a sip out of every so often and that keeps me from just guzzling the whole can down in a couple of minutes. For the headaches if you can stand it try to go as long as you can before you have to have something for it and only have as much as will take to lessen the headache as much as you can stand it.

I get rebound headaches from taking to many over the counter pain medications and it is very hard to handle the pain at times but I am slowly weaning my self off them and the amount of diet pop that I drink. You can do it if you can handle a bit of discomfort for a while, it takes about 2 weeks for the body to adjust fully to not having the caffeine if you just stop.

Hope this helps your situation a little bit.
  • tigersword
    Options

You have inspired me to have my diet sodas with a stalk of celery sticking out of it....... and vodka
    Make sure it's tomato soda (yes it's a real thing) and toss in a little tobasco, and you might have something there. :drinker:
  • Lconsla
    Lconsla Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    im a pop drinker too...dont judge, it's the one thing i refuse to let go of. But i do drink a ton more water and less pop than i use to. But to just quit drinking pop all together? Forget it. If you're worried about the sodium in it, drink more water to even it out.
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a 2 liter of diet pepsi if not more a day.....water what is that?? I finally decided I didn't like the way I looked or felt. I tried going cold turkey but like you I got massive headaches to the point it would give me blurry vision. I started drinking it again. At first I limit my self to just 1 24 oz bottle at work (which was good for me) and then one at home. Eventually I limit myself to just a 24oz bottle for the whole day.....then I went to a 12 oz all day. Eventually I got down to just a 1/2 cup in the morning and then nothing. The headaches were no longer there and I started feeling alot better. Now I can have a glass and don't finish it half the time. The caffiene in it is like a drug you need to ween your self off it. Good Luck and if you need support you may add me as a friend. :happy:
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is full of salt so will make you retain water, thus it will seem like you dont lose weight....if its caffeinated, which im assuming it is, that will be why you are getting headaches when you dont have it.
    Probs best not to have it, as it does seem to stall weight loss a bit...and it full of crap thats nowhere near good for you, plus the whole caffeine thing
    Having it sometimes isnt too bad, but i wouldnt recommend everyday :)

How is it full of salt? There is less salt in pop than their is in fresh veggies and fruit.

Drinking pop will not hurt your weight loss. Unless you have a sensitivity to sweeteners or anything within pop you are fine drinknig it. Of course it's not best to drink a 12 pk of pop in a day but a can or two a day won't hurt you.

The headaches you are getting are due to the caffeine.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop just a little over 2 years ago.. I got headaches bad from the detox as I was a 2 liter bottle a day pepsi drinker.. I don't miss it one bit.. I only allow myself one coffee a day..
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You could not pay me to give up diet coke. It's my favorite.

I drink at least a can a day and my weight is coming off just fine.
  • abracew
    abracew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Starting the day after Thanksgiving, I just swore off diet soda! I would get the massive headaches and nausea if I went without one, so I would never quit. But, I hated being tied to them and needing to have diet coke everywhere I went...even camping! So, I decided to wait for a long weekend so I could have time to get off of them. I weened myself down the week before - only have a few sips or half a can, then used a caffeine free diet drink for a few sips to continue working myself off of them, and then Friday, nothing! I have made an effort to increase my water because I am sure dehydration plays a big role in the headaches, but so far, no side effects! Definitely work your way down in consumption levels - the side effects won't be as bad. And increase the water. I'm not really missing the diet drinks, and I am so excited that I won't be tied to them anymore!