quitting smoking and losing weight.

Options
13»

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm mentally preparing to quit. I feel like I'm very close to quitting (any day now honestly)...but I'm SOOOO afraid of gaining like 30 lbs. The last time I quit (in 2006) my weight skyrocketed to my highest weight ever (I was also the caregiver for a loved one battling cancer but STILL) I weighed 190...i'm 5'4". It was horrendous. I'm so afraid of that happening again...so this thread is very helpful :flowerforyou:
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    i cant quit smokin WEED haha (dro)

I do NOT smoke ciggs :sick:
  • JessieGurlJb
    Options
    ^^^ ha ha ill never give up my ganja! but you could use working out like an animal as a stress reliever to deal with the site effects of quitting.. then you wont gain weight.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Food tasted good for the first time in a long time!!

that's what happened to me the last time i quit (6 years ago. Quit for a year and started again). I couldn't believe how good pizza tasted. I'm not looking forward to quitting at all, but I know I have to. There definitely isn't a good or bad time to quit. Now is as good a time as any...but it still sucks!
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I quit the day i started P90X over a year ago and have since lost Nearly 50LB! Easy :)
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have been trying for some time but keep falling off I keep saying I will but then when I start to cut down it dont work out that way so I to would like to know how you manage it
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I quit awhile ago. I didn't gain from quitting smoking. I gained from having babies and using that as an excuse. Oh and just being lazy!

When I quit I ramped up the cardio to help curb cravings as well as lots and lots of water. I still chew a lot of gum and its been like 7 years. I remember that food suddenly taste different, that was a major turn off for me unlike most folks so I didn't stuff my face.

You may not gain is my point! Track calories, burn calories and don't expect quitting to be easy. It's hard! But if it were easy, everyone would quit! :drinker:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have been trying for some time but keep falling off I keep saying I will but then when I start to cut down it dont work out that way so I to would like to know how you manage it

Because 'cutting down' just wasn't going to do it for me ... I was addicted to nicotine, it didn't matter if I tortured myself with 3 cigs a day or toyed with the idea of eCigs or whatever, I still wanted to smoke. I needed a fix, however I justified it.

Once I realised that I didn't need to (or want to) it got a lot easier.

Reading the Allen Carr book (while smoking) made me understand that smoking gave me nothing and took away a lot. You can't crave what you don't want.

To clarify, it gives me nothing.

No stress relief.

No relief from boredom.

No pleasure.

No enhanced powers of concentration/focus.

No weight control magic.

Sometimes I still get an urge to spark up but they are getting few and far between, such is the lingering power of nicotine ...

Good luck with the journey :)
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One year, ten months, one week, six days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 29 seconds smoke free. 17095 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,282.90. Life saved: 8 weeks, 3 days, 8 hours, 35 minutes. (silk quit application - free and a great motivational tool).

I actually lost weight afterwards (with no exercise), I used a hypontherapist coupled with going on line beforehand and reading everything I could about the affects of a smoke, I also drank water every time I got a craving. I don't get cravings now (and I smoked heavily for 23 years) but every now and again I remind myself that I love being a non-smoker, that smoking is a dirty disgusting habit and that I will never smoke again for the rest of my life. I find that if you say that to yourself a couple of times it changes how you feel about smokes. Your not giving up something, your releasing yourself from an evil weed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I smoke. Id love to quit...but I want to lose weight before I quit. I know smoking makes certains activites more difficult, But I just dont want to gain 50 lbs.

no offense but this is a very common excuse

the only thing that will make you gain weight is too many calories...is you are using nicotine to curb your appetite, you need to recognize that and deal with it

even if you do gain some initial weight from quitting, at least you won't stink like crap and your complexion will look better with more oxygen

It's my excuse too. And I'm sticking to it for now.

OP, congrats. I hope you are successful.
  • kooshajan
    kooshajan Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 months ago after smoking for 16 years. Gained 10lbs but I honestly would rather the 10lbs than continuing smoking.
    I can confidently say I will never smoke again.

A good app if you have an smart phone is smoquit. You input your info and it tells you how much money you've saved, how much smokes you would have smoked, how long you've increased you life, health improvements and lists month, hour min a sec smoke free.