Losing weight, losing money on wardrobe

Options

Replies

• swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I hit 175 (about 10 pounds from now), I'm planning a trip to a goodwill outlet store (which is about an hour away). I figure I'll probably need a few new things by then, at the very least pants, and I'll probably get some in a size or two down as well. I've been itching to go there for a while now, so I figured it would be an excellent non-food reward! (I might plan another trip when I reach my goal weight.)

So yeah, definitely rock the goodwill/thrift store, and the clearance racks, and take things in if you are able. The nice things with tags still on could probably be resold, though.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just buy cheap clothes for now - but if I find something I really like, I will get it in a lower size for later. I also kept old favourites as I got too big for them - currently I go through my wardrobe every 15lbs or so loss to see what I can start wearing.
    The stuff I have shrunk out of is bagged and donated (or thrown - depends on condition) so there is no temptation for backsliding later...
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Find a seamstress to take your good clothes in for you. Most work out of their home and are very inexpensive. That's what I've done with my work clothes. It's well worth $15 to save a $100 pair of slacks! Casual wear - stick to clearance racks and thrift stores until you're at goal.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Goodwill, resale shops, Kohls..have been my best friend :)
  • AshleighPhilp1
    Options
    I purchased a few things in a size 12 that are meant to look baggy so I am hoping I can get away with them for quite a while yet till I finally get down to the 8/10 i'm hoping to be :)
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I give my old clothes away, but things I have hardly worn I sell on eBay, and that pays for the next round of clothes. I only buy just enough to get me through that size, I'm going through a size every 6-8 weeks so it doesn't make sense to spend too much. I try to get as much wear out of what I have as possible.
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've had to replace some of my wardrobe 3 times now. My brother is a big man and I give most of my old clothes to him or dropped them off at Goodwill, but I kept my biggest shirt and pants and will always keep them as a reminder.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Its tough. I've gone from a 4x with nice wardrobe to currently a 1x. And still have about 25lbs to loose. I am 1 size away from starting to buy nice pants. I know what you mean. I buy clothes as I need them. I check first at used stores like salvation army. Then when I'm done I give them back to them. That helps. It tough also because I'm dating and need to look presentable lol. GL
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I go to resale shops my favorite is Thrifty shopper I can find pants for $3.00 and when I outgrow it I can give back for credit to buy more. Or I hit Kmart and I can usually find shirts for $9.00. and pants for $11. I will not buy more expensive clothes till I am at goal.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Look and see if there's a "yard sale" Facebook group for your area. You just list the things you have and meet up with local people to buy them. (Similar to Craigslist but less shady because, odds are, you know somebody that knows somebody that's buying your stuff lol) Use the money from that to purchase clothes that will fit you now. A lot of times these yard sale groups have lots of people in your situation that might have the size you need so you'll come out pretty much even.

As far as getting clothes to last longer, look for tunics for shirts. You can wear leggings under them (which you can find leggings pretty cheap as your size changes) and they usually look good even if they are a bit big. Fit & flare dresses are great too. Get the ones that flare at the waist and you'll be able to wear them for a bit longer. Jeans are the hard part. You can either buy a size smaller and squeeze into them until you lose more or just buy them second hand. Also, check Pinterest. If you're crafty there's always projects you can do with old jeans on there.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    New clothes can be sold. Even gently used clothes have some resale value. Try to find a consignment shop that takes clothes and try to get some of your money back, or perhaps find a clothing exchange type of place where you can trade in your baggy clothes for ones that fit.

I like to list my stuff on ebay once it becomes too big. At the moment I'm stuck with a closet full of baggy clothes, too. I'm not ready to let it all go just yet, as I don't really trust myself to keep the weight off this time. I've yo-yo'ed over the years. This time feels different, but still I want to have something to fall back on just in case.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but I've hit the thrift stores ,especially Goodwill, and I check out the occasional clearance rack at Kohl's and other department stores.

My favorite larger clothes, some of which were almost brand new, I'm saving to have altered whenever I hit goal.

I still wear some of my larger clothes if they aren't too baggy yet but I've pretty much run out of cold weather tops at this point. I'm actually going to Goodwill today!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Belts are my best friend! I will sometimes wear a belt under my bust just to make a now super baggy shirt show my figure. I like to shop at Gordman's. They are usually pretty cheap especially if you hit the clearance rack. If you are not appose to second hand clothing, thrift stores are awesome! I shop Goodwill a lot too. I will donate my fat clothes too, I recently dropped off all my XL and size 16-20 pants/dresses. I kept one pair of my size 20 jeans just to remind myself of my start point.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing weight,buy things that would be easy to alter yourself (say for example,that they only need a straight stitch to make them tighter). For example pencil skirts (if the weather allows you to use them), things that barely fit now, so that they'll look great for three months or so.
    But i know how you feel! At the last summer sale i bought some shirts that were ridiculously cheap. They didn't fit at the moment, i was hoping to use them next spring but they already look loose! Th same happened to four pairs of jeans, they all gave me muffin tops when i bought them and they all look loose now.

The last thing i bought, a zara turtle-neck sweater. It looks just right now.

At least you have goodwill stores there! Here we have to stick to sale periods or open-air markets that sell stolen clothes from charity containers (i skip these, of course)
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How does everyone do/afford this life change?

I have been losing weight too fast to feel justified in buying new close. So what I do is go to thrift stores if you can go on a day they are having 50% off it is great because you can just great some clothes of various sizes and have at least some clothes that should hold you for several months.

The last time (memorial day) I went I grabbed 6 pairs of pants a couple nice shirts and my husband grabs a few t-shirts. We walked out of there paying $35 and two pairs of the jeans I got were designer (Score!). Some of the clothes I'm too small for and some I'm still too big for but it is nice having some clothes to shrink into.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I started buying new clothes at Goodwill when I dropped 25 pounds. I cannot tell you how much better they look on me than the old ones.

I bought a few new polo shirts at this size because they look good even big and I have 13 pounds more to lose.

But I am altering a lot of my newer clothes - particular t-shirts and pants that are now huge in the bottom and hips. You can find good instruction and videos on how to do it. I have some lovely clothes in great fabrics that I don't want to get rid of.

And you can resell your new clothes that don't fit on ebay.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I have steadily lost weight and I buy one or two pairs of jeans each time I lose a size. Right now my 10s are getting loose and I feel like I JUST bought them (but eh, it's been about 2 months... wore my 12s as long as I could but they were looking ridiculous on me).

I found a shop nearby called Plato's Closet and they buy back clothes. Granted, you won't get NEAR what you paid for your clothes, but at least it's an option. IAlso look specifically for consignment shops. also found a really great thrift store nearby so I'll be shopping there too. Another option is you can take your clothes in for tailoring. It's often far cheaper than buying new clothes.
    I've given some of my old clothes to friends who are also losing weight. There have been a couple of shirts that I literally never wore so I sold them on eBay...
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I also shop at thrift stores for the moment, just bought 3 pair of jeans for $10 last week!

yep, thrift stores are the way go while still "in porgress"
  • olives28
    Options
    shrink your clothes by soaking them in hot water, washing them in hot water, and drying them with heat
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The Goodwills in my region have Dollar Days: Thursday-Saturday one specific tag color is a dollar. Whatever is left (meaning crap no one wants LOL) is 50 cents on Sunday. I have not paid full price for damn thing in 3 years. I shop at the Goodwill on the rich side of town, so I now own a bunch of name brand stuff I would NEVER pay full price for in the first place. There are also several charitable organizations that have thrift stores, their clothes are usually a dollar also. I call this charitable shopping: I always have new clothes, but never spend more than $20. Win!.

ETA: best day to go is Thursday in the morning, and weekly until you are happy with how much clothing you have. I still go at least 2x a month, since I have 2 growing kids.