picture of 4 yr old of what the school calls "Obese"

Options

Replies

• jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Looks like a perfectly healthy beautiful four year old to me. School nurses tend to have a lot of check boxes and often don't get time to look at the full picture. I would question if the letter was actually meant for your granddaughter and not sent by mistake. BMI scales are very outdated and don't take into account the actual health and fitness levels of the individual.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Not obese and she's flipping adorable!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I hate the term "puppy fat" *shivers*
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Looks like a perfectly healthy beautiful four year old to me. School nurses tend to have a lot of check boxes and often don't get time to look at the full picture. I would question if the letter was actually meant for your granddaughter and not sent by mistake. BMI scales are very outdated and don't take into account the actual health and fitness levels of the individual.

And you've never been a school nurse have you? Ever called 911 for the teacher having a stroke? Heart attack? Dealing with the student who passed out? The diabetic whose blood sugar is 39? The other diabetic whose blood sugar is 407? The teen having contractions? The teen who thinks she is pregnant? The teen who is cutting and needs someone to talk to? The kids finally telling someone that her mother is beating her? The child who is vomiting all over the place? The child who fell and can't walk right now? Calling the parents for the third time to try and get the child in to get glasses so they can actually see in class and learn? Teaching staff how to handle emergencies when you're at one of your other FOUR schools.
    Yeah, they just check boxes.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    They should be teaching good nutrition and health yliving to ALL children and families, whether they are obese or not.

So many skinny folks eat crap and don't exercise. I don't think it's right to single this particular family out.

My daughter was VERY obese as this age due to drinking too much milk, however, after we cut that out and continued our health habits, she's slimmed down nicely.

My son is now 4 years old and not as obese as she was, however he'd still be considered obese. He is 56 pounds and 3 foot 9. There is nothing I can do differently. He gets more playground time than most kids, he is in preschool also, we eat healthy stuff. He's got a very health appetite.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    They sent home a note saying she was" obese" and they wanted a home visit (not my home, her moms home) to disscuss nutrition to control her weight.

A home visit from WHO? Are they suggesting social services get involved? This is government interference at it's worst. She looks perfectly normal. If her weight seems heavy for her height, they are probably not taking muscle into account. I weigh a lot more than I look like I do because I have so much muscle and I get labeled as obese, according to the height/weight chargs. But I'm not. Labeling her at this age is just horrifying to me. And I'd be damned if anyone got through my front door for a "home visit" to check out how we eat. Its none of their freakin business! What is WRONG with those people.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    They should be teaching good nutrition and health yliving to ALL children and families, whether they are obese or not.

Agreed!!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The school, however imperfect, simply shared the results of a routine screening. If there is a concern about her weight, please get a second, qualified opinion. A picture alone does not provide enough information for anyone to make a determination about her health, let alone a bunch of opinionated strangers on the internet. She's a beautiful child and deserves every chance to have a happy and healthy life.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Agreed!!

My kids actually *are* taught nutrition in school. Maybe it's just in my state?
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wow this really is shocking, its no wonder there is so many kids getting eating disorders.

Your grand-daughter looks perfect to me, a beautiful, healthy little girl. Not one bit over weight!!
  • jolsol77
    Options
    thier gudielines are stupid she's perfect I almost got into an argument with the wic counseler cause she said my 3 year old was overweight too. I told her then stop setting the poor up by giving them all this fatty milk that rotts thier teen makes body to acidic thats why you see all these poor kids with rotted teeth and their all on wic. I give my daughter wic but use it sparingly and that cereal is anything but healthy just urient deficiet cardboard food. She was mad lol I read natural news and wic is good but not as healty as they make it out to be it set the poor up thats my take on it. No but really your baby is perfect :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Agreed!!

It's extremely hit or miss in my state. This is true even within individual districts, where schools are forced to rely heavily on funding from property taxes. Consequently, the schools in the more affluent areas get the better, more robust programs; the poorer ones, less so.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    again so thankful I homeschool my children!

Shes looks fine but im not a doctor, so i cant say with certainty.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Agreed!!

It's extremely hit or miss in my state. This is true even within individual districts, where schools are forced to rely heavily on funding from property taxes. Consequently, the schools in the more affluent areas get the better, more robust programs; the poorer ones, less so.

Yes, they need to end the property tax. It's a bad deal all around. :laugh:

We live in a working class area, neither affluent nor poor. However, it isn't a question of money really. Hell, with the advent of the internet, they wouldn't even need books/materials for it. When I was a kid, it was all about "the textbooks are falling apart." My kids don't even use textbooks for most of their classes. They use the internet and send their homework via email. Now my son *does* have a worksheet for homework in his writing class, and they do take notes on paper.

But seriously, both of them have come home talking about carbs and proteins and such, and everything they have said is accurate info. It sounds to me more like a curriculum issue, not a monetary issue.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I think its because we are told by pics and tv that skinny is in. I checked the BMI and she is a healthy 20.3. Perfect.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you or her parents bring this up with the school administration immediately. She is NOT overweight or obese. She is healthy and looks very happy. If they will not listen to your concerns, go to the school board. Make sure you have a written complaint prepared and record any interactions with the school (just inform them you are doing so before you begin). This not appropriate for your granddaughter's health or safety.

ETA: Consider that if you ignore this that there are likely other children getting the same treatment and hopefully bringing it to light will help someone.

Definitely!

This is so inappropriate of the school. This kind of thing is why young girls have such horrible complexes and end up with eating disorders. She is beautiful and should not have to be told something like that, especially at such a young age! Good luck, please let us know how it goes as you continue.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you or her parents bring this up with the school administration immediately. She is NOT overweight or obese. She is healthy and looks very happy. If they will not listen to your concerns, go to the school board. Make sure you have a written complaint prepared and record any interactions with the school (just inform them you are doing so before you begin). This not appropriate for your granddaughter's health or safety.

ETA: Consider that if you ignore this that there are likely other children getting the same treatment and hopefully bringing it to light will help someone.

Definitely!

This is so inappropriate of the school. This kind of thing is why young girls have such horrible complexes and end up with eating disorders. She is beautiful and should not have to be told something like that, especially at such a young age! Good luck, please let us know how it goes as you continue.

OMG the child wasn't told....the parents were....unless they are complete idiots and said something to the child, the child has no idea what is going on. Seriously???? these responses just get more and more ridiculous.....and of course the OP hasn't been back to say whether or not the parents are going to take the child to the pediatrician.....and I'm sure if the doctor does say the child should be monitored more closely (children are NOT put on diets, the goal is to prevent further weight gain and let their height catch up) we'll never hear that story.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    They sent home a note saying she was" obese" and they wanted a home visit (not my home, her moms home) to disscuss nutrition to control her weight.

I would go to the school and look around at the different staff members. The secretary, the VP and principla, the nurse..everyone. Make a list of who is over weight.

"Sure, you can come to my house to discuss nutrition and explain how a kids with a BMI calculated by her pediatrician is obese IF you bring your fat employees, X, Y and Z with you" That kid is no where near obese!!
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I would go to the school and look around at the different staff members. The secretary, the VP and principla, the nurse..everyone. Make a list of who is over weight.

"Sure, you can come to my house to discuss nutrition and explain how a kids with a BMI calculated by her pediatrician is obese IF you bring your fat employees, X, Y and Z with you" That kid is no where near obese!!

except the child HASN'T been to the pediatrician so we have no idea whether the ped agrees with the school's findings or not.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Why does it make it any difference if the staff members are overweight? They are adults who can make their own decisions, and they weren't just looking at her in a lineup and telling her to come forward because they personally think she's fat. Just because people are overweight doesn't mean it's ok, maybe they'll end up with health issues that she can avoid if her parents start her on good habits now. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the BMI score - they didn't make it up. I don't see how hurling insults in all directions is a smart idea here when people are only doing this in the best interest of the child. Who really thinks these people sit at home at night thinking up ways to ruin the lives of young children?