picture of 4 yr old of what the school calls "Obese"

Options
There were many responses to my post that the school says my granddaughter is too fat. Here is a picture of her. Granted she is not a skinny little girl but I do not believe this is "Obese" (thier word). She weighs 44 pounds. But I think it is because she is solid and not fat. I checked her height myself and she is 3 foot 3 inches without shoes.

121124-110455.jpg

Replies

• Her BMI is 20.3. That is perfect. Not obese, or even overweight. What did her school say exactly?
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    She is absolutely fine and school is so wrong in declaring her obese. I am pretty sure it is not the doctor from the school who said it.
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    she is so cute maybe a lil chubby but not fat and def. not obese .
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    She is not even over weight. She's young so obviously has a baby face. What sort of school does she go to? Seems like they're trying to encourage anorexia from an early age.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    :noway: I would be filing a law suit against the school.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You have an adorable grand-daughter and I'm sorry you're dealing with this nonsense.

Aside: I bet the principal or the nurse are both more obese than this child. Just sayin.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I think in your original thread you said she was 3 ft tall (so 36 inches or 3 inches shorter than you just measured her). That's a pretty big height difference, so maybe the school had the wrong height? She is very cute!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    at 3 foot 3, she's tall...my daughter is tall for her age too...

so what did they do? plunk her on a scale and say *kitten*, she's 44 pounds that's obese...and not even take her height into account?

that's what it sounds like to me.

my daughter is 5'3 in a classroom full of kids that are a head shorter than her at LEAST....

if they put her on a scale she would be obese too...

jus sayin.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    They sent home a note saying she was" obese" and they wanted a home visit (not my home, her moms home) to disscuss nutrition to control her weight.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't think that children should even count in these categories. :/ if she's active and is healthy (no diabetes, thyroid is good, etc), and she's a little over weight (and she isn't, so that's besides the point), then I really think it's irrelevant. in middle school, my ex-boyfriend was a super chubby kid that was made fun of constantly. but it wasn't because he sat inside and played videogames, he just didn't get taller until high school. then he grew, and was thin. there isn't a set time when kids grow, and as long as she eats healthy and develops good habits, I would ignore the crap out of the school. they may mean well, but it certainly didn't come off that way.
  • beautylovetruth
    beautylovetruth Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you or her parents bring this up with the school administration immediately. She is NOT overweight or obese. She is healthy and looks very happy. If they will not listen to your concerns, go to the school board. Make sure you have a written complaint prepared and record any interactions with the school (just inform them you are doing so before you begin). This not appropriate for your granddaughter's health or safety.

ETA: Consider that if you ignore this that there are likely other children getting the same treatment and hopefully bringing it to light will help someone.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Normal. Don't worry about it.

And even if she were a bit bigger, she's only 4. She'd grow out of it.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The school said my son was obese too...they did his bmi and it fell in the high end of normal range. They didn't take into account muscle mass, they used ht and wt. I took him to the school had the gym teacher look at his stomach, legs, arms....they changed the label. At that school it was going on his "permanent record" as being obese. Your granddaughter is NOT obese. Et the school know how you feel about it.

She is sure cute!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    why are we labeling children?????

no matter if you are dealing with children of with adults that is why BMI is not a true or good indicator.

not suggesting that one does skin fold test on a child but that is a better indicator of how fit someone is. plenty of football players with nothing but lean muscle are considered obese using BMII calculations
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    She looks like she is ready for a growing spurt!
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Boy.. what would they say about my 2.5 year old that is already 38 inches and 38 pounds?!?!?! (yes.. his numbers are the same).... I saw that you need to take what ever they told you with a grain of salt and continue teaching her to live a healthy life.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    She's a doll, and nowhere near "obese".
    Now due to the epidemic obesity has become it pleases me they are paying attention to it.
    But with this little darling its not necessary or warranted.

I'm very sorry your family is going through this.
  • bouncy1920
    bouncy1920 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    She's very cute.

I was curious, so I searched and according to online, BMI for children is used to calculate percentile for other age-matched kids. So you can't go by BMI alone. (my source: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/about_childrens_bmi.html)

If this labeling hurt your or your granddaughter's feelings, I would definitely let them know (in an appropriate manner, of course). But I would only take medical/nutritional/fitness advise from a respective professional in this case.

Wish you the best!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I haven't read your other thread, but will look for it.

I just ran those figures through the NHS BMI calculator (with her age too) and it says that she is on the 99th centile for weight for her age and is obese.

Just for reference my almost 7 year old weighs 38lbs and is 3'8" tall.

Your granddaughter is gorgeous, but I think her parents need to be mindful of what she eats and how much exercise she gets. It might just be toddler chubbiness hanging on, or she might be due a growth spurt (mine always get chubby and then suddenly shoot up in height) which are making the figures look worse. In which case it is nothing to worry about. But we all as parents have a responsibility to help our children grow up as healthily as they can.