picture of 4 yr old of what the school calls "Obese"

Options

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Geeze just incredible. The schools gone nuts. She is not skinny but i wouldn't call her obese in the slightest.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Labeling a healthy, very normal weight for her height child as obese and talking to her about weight is a great way to create an eating disorder. Shame on them.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    BMI charts and words like "Obese" do not even apply to children of this age.

I can understand "overweight" but not in the same way as it means for adults, and more seriously for kids would be "underweight"...

She looks perfectly healthy to me. Tell the school to shove it. She's a GROWING GIRL for goodness sake.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    at 3 foot 3, she's tall...my daughter is tall for her age too...

so what did they do? plunk her on a scale and say *kitten*, she's 44 pounds that's obese...and not even take her height into account?

that's what it sounds like to me.

my daughter is 5'3 in a classroom full of kids that are a head shorter than her at LEAST....

if they put her on a scale she would be obese too...

jus sayin.

I think they didn't take her height into account. If height and weight correlate it's fine. She certainly doesn't look fat or even chubby to be honest.

My 3 year old son is taller than that though and around 35lbs. I'll probably get told he's too skinny when he's at school!
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    They probably just went by the typical "growth charts" for weight only for her age and didn't cross reference it against her height. School needs to stay out of it. (What are they doing weighing and measuring the children in school anyway??) You and your doctor know what's best.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    adorable:flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They sent home a note saying she was" obese" and they wanted a home visit (not my home, her moms home) to disscuss nutrition to control her weight.

My mother would have thrown a royal fit if my school did something like that! I don't know what I would have done if it were my daughter, but I would tell them exactly where to stick it.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You have an adorable grand-daughter and I'm sorry you're dealing with this nonsense.

Aside: I bet the principal or the nurse are both more obese than this child. Just sayin.

^^THIS
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    And we wonder why girls are growing up with self esteem issues and body issues! I think if you can afford it (maybe through the ymca where its affordable) get this child involved in some physical activity she enjoys, whether it's a sport like gymnastics or dance classes. You can teach her at home about healthy eating and exercise and tell the school to butt out before they take her down a road that is more damaging to her psychologically than it is helpful. She isn't a fat kid but since you describe her as solid it isnt a bad idea to work toward building lean muscle through something like gymnastics.

I think the kid looks like a happy, healthy, normal child. Don't let anyone make this kid feel like she has weight issues. You can monitor her diet without her even knowing it.

I personally wish I could go back to the weight when I was actually at a healthy weight but yet people around me were acting as if I were fat. Because it made me feel fat and then depressed and had low self-esteem and it snowballs. And soon I wasn't at a healthy weight anymore. Too bad we can't all go back and talk to our inner child and explain what we've learned. Look out for this child, not just physically but emotionally. That being said, if I could go back and prevent myself from ever getting fat in the first place I would start very young. Nutrition and exercise. Teach those good habits now, don't wait!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you or her parents bring this up with the school administration immediately. She is NOT overweight or obese. She is healthy and looks very happy. If they will not listen to your concerns, go to the school board. Make sure you have a written complaint prepared and record any interactions with the school (just inform them you are doing so before you begin). This not appropriate for your granddaughter's health or safety.

ETA: Consider that if you ignore this that there are likely other children getting the same treatment and hopefully bringing it to light will help someone.

Totally agree. She's adorable and not overweight. Do not let this pass by ignoring it. Labeling anyone much less children like this is going to create even more insecure body images. And we wonder where this kind of thinking ever starts when we work so hard at home to give security and love. That is very frustrating, but I would also be curious how many other kids are being treated this way. This is probably the time I would personally turn into BIG MAMA BEAR and they would not like me much.

Keep us posted.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    What a joke. I would be livid! She is too adorable.
    Invite them for a home visit and have a scale available to take their weights and heights as well as hers.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Boy.. what would they say about my 2.5 year old that is already 38 inches and 38 pounds?!?!?! (yes.. his numbers are the same).... I saw that you need to take what ever they told you with a grain of salt and continue teaching her to live a healthy life.

I agree with this. When my youngest was little, WIC told me that he was "at risk" of becoming obese because his weight was in the top 20% or so. I said I would keep an eye on it, and they were OK. He is 7 years old, basically the same size as his peers, and weighs like 55lbs.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    She looks like a healthy 4 year old to me. Crazy school!!
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Wow! I would be pissed if one of my children came home with a note like that. I would take that note to the school district super intendant and let them know how you feel! Kids should not be labeled obese unless they are significantly overweight (like double or triple what they should be) and even then they need to be seen by a doctor and not the school nurse or principal!

Your granddaughter is super cute! I have two girls, ages 7 and 3. My 7 year old is 45 pounds but my 3 year old is 40. My 3 year old is completely healthy and active! Your granddaughter has nothing to worry about except her school being stupid! If the super intendant doesn't want to do anything about it, get a lawyer!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    :noway: I would be filing a law suit against the school.

Seriously? That is ridiculous. As proven by the types of basic nutrition questions that are posted on this site daily, there is clearly a lack of nutrition knowledge among adults (Yes, I'm including myself in this). If adults aren't educated about nutrition, how can we teach it to children?

I say good work to the school for being proactive. And if she just went through a 3 inch spurt, that could definitely be the difference in her BMI. Is the BMI system flawed? Absolutely, but for now it is the best we have.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    You have an adorable grand-daughter and I'm sorry you're dealing with this nonsense.

Aside: I bet the principal or the nurse are both more obese than this child. Just sayin.

^this! She looks perfect! My daughter is three years old and weighs 36 pounds and is 39 inches tall as well. I have been dealing with the same thing her whole life. Your granddaughter is beautiful.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just chalk it up to another failed government/school program. She looks fine to me. Very cute. No visit allowed. Just take her to the school with you and ask for a re-do. Or, take her to your doctor. Have the doctor provide them with a medical exam saying she is normal, not obese.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You did say she was shorter in your initial post. She looks fine. I still do think that it is still ok for the school to do some initial screening. Not every child regularly sees a pediatrician and not all parents truly understand how being overweight at this age can signal bigger problems later. Assuming her pediatrician is ok with her growth and she is active, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • lcchartier
    lcchartier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am kind of disturbed by this post. This is a little girl and already she is being subjected to heightened sensitivity about her looks.

There is something terribly wrong with an education system that uses a BMI scale for children.

I think the best thing for kids is to teach them about making healthy choices, and living a life making as many healthy choices as possible. This also forces us as parents and mentors to get out and make those choices with our kids. Getting a healthy dose of activity, eating good foods and knowing that it is ok to indulge once in awhile while we discipline ourselves not to do it all the time.

If the school wants to promote good health, then it should provide good sports and recreation programs that encourage kids to be kids and learn the joy of teamwork, play and discovery.

Do this, and she will grow up healthy in mind and body.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    She looks like she is ready for a growing spurt!

That's what I was thinking. If they are going to check BMI's they should do it about every month or two because of how little kids tend to chub up a little and then grow three inches.