picture of 4 yr old of what the school calls "Obese"

Options

Replies

• julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're taking this waaaay to personally. You're creating a lot of unnecessary emotions here. (I refer to this as drama)

Just say "Thanks, but we're on top of things, and see the pediatrician regularly."

The end.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry! My 3 yr old is about 3ft8 and 50lb and really not fat at all, just solid!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Many things are not what they seem. Irrespective of whether she is obese or not (she is not of course), it is unlikely that the school administration is just trying to "help". One thought is that they may receive funding (or more of it) if they have a certain percentage or number of "obese" children to run some other or additional intrusive program. They may be able to save money by rationalizing their meals programs to one thing or another by classifying the children as such. My personal opinion is that it is just another assault of the worst kind on freedoms, and labels for children. Horrid.
    I don't know the particulars, but if you dig there is almost always money involved.
  • julesboots
    Options
    :noway: I would be filing a law suit against the school.

With what as grounds? Your registered nurse made a suggestion, and I don't want to comply? Nobody is forcing anything here. The parent doesn't have to do anything except say "no thanks."
  • julesboots
    Options
    Many things are not what they seem. Irrespective of whether she is obese or not (she is not of course), it is unlikely that the school administration is just trying to "help". One thought is that they may receive funding (or more of it) if they have a certain percentage or number of "obese" children to run some other or additional intrusive program. They may be able to save money by rationalizing their meals programs to one thing or another by classifying the children as such. My personal opinion is that it is just another assault of the worst kind on freedoms, and labels for children. Horrid.
    I don't know the particulars, but if you dig there is almost always money involved.

This is totally false.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    That is absurd! She is adorable and I think she looks great. If her pediatrician says she is on track and healthy then let them pry away. Is she eating healthy foods? I assume so. Good luck! I don't think it will be a problem though...
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My son is tall - wears size 7 at 4 years old. He weighs like 48 pounds. My doctor says he's perfect, and his BMI is always around 18. He's not fat. However, I get grief from a lot of lower level health providers - they look at his weight only and say "he's obese.". They have charts to compare height/weight. My son is the size of a 7 year old, that's all there is to it. Don't stress too much over it, just make sure she's not eating a ton of junk.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Did they seriously call her obese? Has the person sending out the letter actually even met this child? She is a beautiful little girl and her size looks perfect to me.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    And the reason you are certain that you know that this is totally false or not even possible is..........
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    :noway: I would be filing a law suit against the school.

Me Too!!!! How dare they say that!!! She is adorable.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    The CDC BMI calculator that the school uses would classify her as Obese. This is really frustrating since obviously she is not "obese". I have the same problem with my daughter. She is tall and solid. She is also thin. She has to where size 10 pants at 7 1/2 because of her height, even though her waist is only a 7/8. People always comment on how thin she is, yet when we go to the doctor she is called "obese".

I ignore them.

I was also a person who for my size weighted more than my friends, even when we wore the same size. I think she probably just has a genetically solid frame, that most kids don't have.
    That is the same reason the BMI system is a very outdated system. I do believe bone structure counts meaning if you are big boned or small boned. Many tall large frame people are solid ano fat when their body fat is measured are considered obese because of the number on the scale and the BMI. I am not saying to discount the BMI altogether, I am just stating it is the only tool that should be used to label health and obesity.

Interesting that anyone would say this child is obese.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Unless the school told her she was obese or talked to her about her food or weight, I don't see how she is being subjected to anything or will develop an eating disorder out of this. Clearly if there was a problem, the school would want the parents to deal with it, not tell the littler girl, "Gee you're so obese, do something about that, will you?" You don't strip search kids to take their body fat. You pop them on a scale and take their height and weight. Your little girl does look healthy from what you posted.

You should post the letter if you want to discuss this. You keep saying the school "wanted" a home visit. Did they offer one or try to insist on one? Big difference. If a school tried to force one on me, I'd be furious. If they asked, I'd say no thanks.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My daughter is six years old and weights 52lbs. Her body is perfect and consists mostly of muscle.
    Basically, if they say your grand-daughter is fat, so is my daughter.

If I were you, I would post a video on YouTube about it.
    That is just ridiculous and I'd want as many people to know about it as possible.

No kidding I see so many young girls who having extreme eating disorders, are skin and bones and think they look fat.

Society is so ugly!
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why no one is outraged at the fact that the school is even doing tests on kids without permission? Our kids couldn't even take advil without a note from parents!! who do they think they are?? Why is it that just because they are educators they automatically know everything!! leave kids to parents!!!:grumble: :explode: :angry:
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Things are obviously just black and white for many people.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Maybe I don't understand, but why does this matter at all? I mean, I understand why it upset you, but I don't understand why you'd have to do anything about it. Can you just decline the home visit and ignore them? Or will something else come of it if you don't? She's a cute kid, looks healthy enough, so who cares what the school thinks?
  • LoFury
    Options
    Instead of saying check her height and weight how about opening your eyes and look at the picture! This child is not obese nor overweight. I could understand if maybe she had a pot belly but she doesn't even have that! What the school did wasn't helpful. No matter what the scale says she LOOKS fine and healthy. If it were my child's school they would seriously have an earful. There's trying to help families teach their children proper nutrition and just being rude and plain stupid. Not every person looks the same with different amounts of weight on their body why the hell should children? Who cares what the scale says children DO have muscle mass and clearly this child does to you can see it in her arms just by looking at the picture. Your grandchild is fine and her parents seem to be doing a damn fine job of raising her. And I'm sorry but the nurse at her school sounds like an idiot because weight and height aren't everything, opening your eyes and looking at the child tells you if they seem healthy or not simple as that!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why no one is outraged at the fact that the school is even doing tests on kids without permission? Our kids couldn't even take advil without a note from parents!! who do they think they are?? Why is it that just because they are educators they automatically know everything!! leave kids to parents!!!:grumble: :explode: :angry:

Usually this is covered in the details when parents sign kids up. They can opt out if they want. Schools have been doing height/weight, vision/hearing screenings for decades, at least. It used to be considered a helpful service. Kids still can't take medicines without notes from the doctors and parents.

I think eating disorders are contributed to by societal pressures and unrealistic expectations, but I also think they develop from a massive misunderstanding of how to maintain a healthy weight. We have such an all or nothing approach to weight management and health. If this little girl were at risk of developing a weight problem, it would be nice to be alert now, when the parents could stop it without the little girl being any the wiser.

OP, can you post the letter? Without identifying information, of course.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    That is pretty disgusting what the school did. I HOPE that she herself was not told directly that she was "obese", so that she doesn't develop a complex or have thoughts negative about herself at four years old :grumble:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    She's adorable!