Celiac Disease ?

Options
I have never been tested or diagnosed for Celiac's disease but the more I read and hear about how gluten affects the entire body, I am beginning to wonder myself if I might have a gluten intolerance. As long as I can remember, even as a child, I suffered from digestive distress. I constantly have to go poop and depending on what I eat (lately it feels like anything I eat) upsets my stomach and I have to go to the bathroom. It's not uncommon for me to go potty 3-4 times on a "bad day". In fact, as I type this, my stomach hurts and I feel awful.

I also am constantly tired. I can sleep 8 hours but feel like I slept 4. My back hurts and I ache all the time. I am also overweight (hence is why I am here).

I am wondering if I can try to eliminate as much gluten as I can from my diet, if I can see a change. Has anyone hear suffered from Celiac's disease or have what I explained in the aforementioned? If anything, I don't think it can hurt. Especially if I am eliminating many carbs from my diet.

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    go and get the test, it's just a simple blood test. My son who is 6 just got diagnosed with it in sept and his symptoms were only headaches with the odd tummy ache.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting tested before you guess and do damage. It is very important to get on the right diet ASAP as this damage can be irreversible.

Don't guess... see a doc.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Get the test. My sister-in-law didn't know she had it until her 50's and she was seriously seriously will before she found out eliminating gluten was necessary.

It's tough to change your diet that radically in the US. Test before you try.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    that blood test is not 100%. It only shows if you the the Celiac gene and being severely gluten intolerant can not be tested by the blood. A biopsy is used for that. However, that does not work if you have already quit eating gluten and most of us refuse to go back on it after we get off. Gluten is in everything. After 2 years I just finally figured out that it was in my hairspray and styling products and possibly my shampoo and conditioner. I could not figure out why this rash would not go away.

If you have good insurance go for both of those tests. If not, start eliminating. I am pretty severe so after 3 days, I felt amazing. If I ingest gluten, I am sick within 30 minutes for up to 3 weeks. Apparently topically, it creates a very uncomfy rash on me. My doc said for me to save my money as eliminating the gluten got rid of all my symptoms. Someday I will have the DNA test but my current insurance does not cover it. I will never have the biopsy because I would not survive eating it for a month before hand.

**gluten is listed under other names in styling products-FYI
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sounds really similar to what I was like before I stopped eating Gluten. It's definitely worth it to checking with your doctor. It also would not hurt if you just excluded it by yourself for a few days to see how you are feeling. Within the first few days I had more energy than I ever remember having and I have not any sort of digestive issues as long as I (successfully) avoid gluten. Whenever I accidentally consume some I go right back to how I used to feel all the time, and my rash comes back.

Being gluten free is really hard, especially if you go out to eat or travel (and during holidays.) but it's really worth it if that's what has been causing the distress, it gives you your life back. If you find out that you have celiac's or a gluten sensitivity, there is a group here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people think that stopping gluten is bad unless you have to do it. Challenging yes but not bad. Your body does not need wheat, barley or rye nutritionally. You can survive without it just fine. the Celiacs, gluten intolerant and gluten sensitive people prove that daily.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It is really simple to avoid gluten.

If you can not afford the tests, then go gluten free for 3 or 4 weeks. You will find that even after a few days your `tummy` probs stop.

If you are a 100% gluten intolerant then you will be really poorly even after eating a little of wheat flour.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I don't have any unexplained rashes or anything; just always have stomach issues. I know it could be a million things; gastritis, gallbladder, pancreatis, ect. I am in the process of finding a new GP. My current GP still whips out his medical book even for a sinus infection!

Why would gluten be in hairspray and non-food items?
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have just had a blood test for coeliac disease and it came back negative. A key symptom (which I didn't have) is pale greasy stools). I tried ARLA brand lactose-free milk and cheese for a few weeks and felt some relief from symptoms. Next food trial is to eliminate all foods containing wheat (read the labels!), which I suspect are causing my constant discomfort/ IBS. After removal of my blocked gall bladder 3 yrs ago, I have to choose low fat/ small portions for life and later regret indulgent treats.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have never been tested or diagnosed for Celiac's disease but the more I read and hear about how gluten affects the entire body, I am beginning to wonder myself if I might have a gluten intolerance. As long as I can remember, even as a child, I suffered from digestive distress. I constantly have to go poop and depending on what I eat (lately it feels like anything I eat) upsets my stomach and I have to go to the bathroom. It's not uncommon for me to go potty 3-4 times on a "bad day". In fact, as I type this, my stomach hurts and I feel awful.

I also am constantly tired. I can sleep 8 hours but feel like I slept 4. My back hurts and I ache all the time. I am also overweight (hence is why I am here).

I am wondering if I can try to eliminate as much gluten as I can from my diet, if I can see a change. Has anyone hear suffered from Celiac's disease or have what I explained in the aforementioned? If anything, I don't think it can hurt. Especially if I am eliminating many carbs from my diet.
    I'll just say, be wary of confirmation bias. It could also very easily be that you being overweight is causing all of your problems. Aches, pains, digestive issues, and fatigue are all also symptoms of being overweight. If you suspect a disease, get tested, but be aware, gluten intolerance and celiac disease honestly only affect maybe 10% of the global population (yes, I know there are websites that say it affects just about everyone, but those are biased sites trying to push an agenda.)
  • mrskchris
    mrskchris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had some of the same symptoms that you have. I stopped eating gluten, dairy, and sugar back in May, and my digestive problems stopped. I have had an intolerance to milk for years, but I dealt with it because I loved the taste. I worked out and ate right most of the time but I was having trouble losing weight and felt tired most of the time.

I had test done, and it turned out my thryroid levels were on the low normal range. Under the direction of a nutritionist and a weighloss coach, I have changed my eating habits and become even more active. Every now and then I have a small amount sugar, but I avoid dairy and gluten foods. It was hard at first, but now it's my norm.

Give yourself 30 days of gluten free foods, and see how you feel. You may just have a sensitivity to it and not necessarily have celiac disease.
  • Clare0116
    Options
    I'm shocked to hear that you have identified gluten in toiletries, where few people would expect it. It is interesting that you mention a rash in connection with using products and suspect that hidden gluten is the cause. An itchy bumpy rash on my hands and widespread all over body itching plague me and now I'm wondering if it is caused by products I use too.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'll just say, be wary of confirmation bias. It could also very easily be that you being overweight is causing all of your problems. Aches, pains, digestive issues, and fatigue are all also symptoms of being overweight. If you suspect a disease, get tested, but be aware, gluten intolerance and celiac disease honestly only affect maybe 10% of the global population (yes, I know there are websites that say it affects just about everyone, but those are biased sites trying to push an agenda.)
    This! I had many of the same issues that you had. I also thought gluten and many other things were the problem. Once I started losing weight, my problems went away.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have had similar symptoms as all of you, but part of it was an intolerance to my generic (dyes, etc) meds...I was tested for gall bladder issues and have been diagnosed with overactive gallbladder, then after an endoscopy I found out I had minor gastritis...when I started adjusting my meds, the stool problem I have had for 10 years corrected itself, and I started to feel better...however since the night before Thanksgiving when I ate some fresh french bread from Walmart, and I've been sick ever since....I have a DR appt Wed so I'm going to ask her for the test or refer me to an allergist...whatever I can get her to do...good luck to you all...
  • Clare0116
    Options
    Gall bladder symptoms are SEVERE pain a few inches below your right nipple soon after eating food with a medium to high fat content, followed by HOURS of vomiting. Sleep is out of the question and many people have ended up in the emergency hospital department wondering what is wrong with them. Chronic indigestion is also likely.
    Surgical treatment is needed because there is a risk that gallstones may block the bile ducts and cause acute infection making removal hazardous (like acute appendicitis). An overnight stay in hospital and keyhole surgery under general anaesthetic will be booked for you fairly quickly. You'll be left with 5 small scars, which don't hurt much and heal quickly. You can function 'normally' without your gallbladder as the bile will continually drain into your digestive juices. Afterwards (the Docs don't tell you this) you may have chronic diarrhoea and indigestion unless you stick to small portions of low fat food for life.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My sister has it. I thought I had it, but the Doc said no,
    I had to start eating meat to combat the pains. . so by that I am eating less gluten. So, eat more meat?
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Whenever something doesn't feel all the way 'on'...Consuming more meat is your most viable, probable, solution.
  • loveisthmovement16
    Options
    It can't hurt to test it out! :)
    My brother's been that way as well, and we've recently started going gluten free and he's been feeling a lot better.

I read a book on it, and gluten is so so so bad for you.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Note that most people really don't need to eliminate gluten in things like hair products if you have Celiac disease as long as you don't ingest them (if you have a gluten allergy, that's a different story). Celiac disease is the flattening of the villi in response to the autoimmune response due to ingesting gluten products; if you have contact dermatitis, something else is probably going on.

That said, I wouldn't use makeup containing gluten, at least not on my lips.

My first blood test was negative and I took it at face value. By the time I had my second my B12 was single-digit, I was having seizures, daily migraines (still have those), but the doctors still insisted I had "IBS" too. Yeah. The second test was positive, but barely. I declined the endoscopy to confirm. I cut out gluten about a year ago and haven't had a seizure since.

My only advice is to do what you think will make you stick to the diet if you need to; in other words, if you're not going to stick with it because you don't have test results backing you up, go ahead and get the test. It's still hard for me to stick with and I "fall off the wagon" every once in a while (and I always regret it). Every time I want a piece of "real" pizza or a "real" bagel my boyfriend starts repeating, "Colostomy bag, colostomy bag. . ."
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh also, many multivitamins contain gluten. I have no idea why, but they do.