THIS is how hard it is to reach 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

1200 calories is ... IMO... not healthy. It's an attempt to bypass having to exercise and results in being a featureless blob that's smaller than an obese blob, but still blob-like all the same.

Pick up some weight. Lift it repeatedly. Do some cardio. Be it running, swimming, hitting a heavy bag, whatever.

Thank you again.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Ok, I Hate to stick my head in the lions mouth -

But none of that really looks appealing. I mean, it has nice rich vibrant colors, it's packed full of nutrients, it's probably got a stunning balance and all the right macros...

Annnnnnd there's really not much chance of me taking the time in the kitchen to prepare that. It's not appetizing for me, I'd rather just bake a chicken breast and steam some broccoli or green beans and force them down, because what I really want is... like, deviled eggs with a dash of paprika and some mustard in the filling, or pasta with a nice white sauce, Popcorn covered in butter, a STAKE, or pork chop.. a nice roast Ham with a honey glaze or scalloped ANYTHING. Mashed potates made with butter and cream with salt and a touch of fresh ground black pepper (even though salt is now OUT for me)

I guess my question would be, how did all of you come to hunger for the good stuff like what was posted above?
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great pix! Thanks for the ice cream recipe.......gotta try that :)
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It is very easy to reach 1200 calories. Some people act like it's super hard and that it is too much food. This is because they associate healthy eating with only fruits and veggies. Some people eat fruit all day and expect to lose weight. They don't reach their 1200 calorie mark because they are eating fruit and salad all day. Not dissing the salad or fruit but that's a lot of sugar and not enough protein.

Women especially have a problem with protein I have noticed. They associate protein with bulking and I really wish they would do some research and actually really get into the healthy eating mentality. Some women want the weight to come off so fast that they do any fad diet possible.

I also wish people wouldn't be so obsessed with the scale. I gained three pounds this week, mostly due to an increase in sodium over the holiday weekend, but I lost I think 4 inches so to me, that is more important than what I weigh.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I would really like a salmon burger right now. That sounds incredible!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ok, I Hate to stick my head in the lions mouth -

But none of that really looks appealing. I mean, it has nice rich vibrant colors, it's packed full of nutrients, it's probably got a stunning balance and all the right macros...

Annnnnnd there's really not much chance of me taking the time in the kitchen to prepare that. It's not appetizing for me, I'd rather just bake a chicken breast and steam some broccoli or green beans and force them down, because what I really want is... like, deviled eggs with a dash of paprika and some mustard in the filling, or pasta with a nice white sauce, Popcorn covered in butter, a STAKE, or pork chop.. a nice roast Ham with a honey glaze or scalloped ANYTHING. Mashed potates made with butter and cream with salt and a touch of fresh ground black pepper (even though salt is now OUT for me)

I guess my question would be, how did all of you come to hunger for the good stuff like what was posted above?

i would never eat something that didnt taste good. i like to EAT and eat A LOT so thats why i eat what i do. i also prefer being healthy as opposed to eating pasta with a bunch of sauces ect. all of this tastes delicious. to each their own. and i also am the lazyest cook ever, which shows why all of my meals take under ten minutes to make. im sure they would be a lot more appetizing to you if i put more effort into my cooking. this wasnt made to show people to eat like i do, just that when you eat healthy you CAN still get a high calorie count. if you ate what YOU crave, you would reach those calories a lot quicker....

here, you think my food isnt appetizing, here are some more pictures of easy meals i make that are again, HEALTHY

560790_10151810423465595_735255978_n_zps7e2bc1d6.jpg
    010_zps99a702d3.jpg
    599939_10151894849525595_251730425_n.jpg
    photo1.jpg

thanks to everyone that appreciates this and thanks for commenting :)
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try the ice cream. 1760 is ok for me but I find that I am still hungry (or greedy). Just curious does fiber make you feel fuller?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Everything looks incredible! I have no problem eating my 1900 cals/day. Thank you for this post!
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This all looks so delicious... I'm a mom to a little boy that LOVES to eat (he's 14 months and will eat ANYTHING I give him, so I'm trying to get the healthy stuff in!!!), and between an hour commute and an active boy, my husband and I are having a tough time finding good foods that are easy and quick to make, that we're comfortable giving to little man. We're eating better, but would love to get some other recipes. I'm going to send you a friend request!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I agree that an average healthy adult can eat 1200 calories. I eat that, and I have no problems reaching it unless I'm sick. (I eat that because MFP gives me that number on all settings except for the construction worker setting, at 5. lbs a week, and I'm no construction worker, and even then, it only gives me 1330. For some of us, it is the right number.) But the amount of food you posted would be overly filling for me on an average day. I've definitely had hungry days where I could kill all that and more. It just wouldn't work for me most of the time.

(Not a superiority post or a judgmental post. Just responding to a topic with my own experiences. I wish eating 2100 calories a day worked for me.)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Very good post! I make 1200 cals normally just for breakie lol
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to try the ice cream. 1760 is ok for me but I find that I am still hungry (or greedy). Just curious does fiber make you feel fuller?

Fiber definitely makes you fuller. I always add Psyllium Husk to stuff. like oats and smoothies.... also protein is good for making you fuller.

again, not saying people need to eat 2100 calories, this is more to say people should never eat UNDER 1200 calories... and if you are close to your goal you should be eating even more (10%-TDEE)
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm seeing this before I go do my grocery shopping today. Thank you for the pictures- love them.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    great post!! those pancakes look delicious!! :happy:
  • laneymclean
    Options
    Great job!
  • louised88
    Options

@ louised88 this isnt for those with eating disorders. i know thats a problem you cant fix by saying eat more. this is for the ones that post threads saying "i can never reach 1200 by eating healthy im so full at 900" i dont even eat my first meal until 9am *a lot of ppl are at 7am* and i have no problem getting over 2k and thats without adding junk foods.

Fair enough, I just see a lot of posts haranguing people who obviously have some sort of disordered relationship with food (and even those type of threads you mention have a bit of an ED vibe to them tbh) and it really bothers me. I really think the mods should remove them, it can be triggering to those in recovery and encourages people with disordered eating to continue their fraught relationship with food, and the posts themselves as well as the comments posted to them just seem to do more harm than good.
  • tbellamy1
    Options
    I agree that an average healthy adult can eat 1200 calories. I eat that, and I have no problems reaching it unless I'm sick. (I eat that because MFP gives me that number on all settings except for the construction worker setting, at 5. lbs a week, and I'm no construction worker, and even then, it only gives me 1330. For some of us, it is the right number.) But the amount of food you posted would be overly filling for me on an average day. I've definitely had hungry days where I could kill all that and more. It just wouldn't work for me most of the time.

(Not a superiority post or a judgmental post. Just responding to a topic with my own experiences. I wish eating 2100 calories a day worked for me.)

FYI MFP gives EVERYONE the same settings nop matter what your height, weight, age, workout routine male and female. 1200 calories is not enough. ironically MFP also figures your intake below their suggested BMR. hmmmm, maybe its not set up for individuals.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

FYI MFP gives EVERYONE the same settings nop matter what your height, weight, age, workout routine male and female. 1200 calories is not enough. ironically MFP also figures your intake below their suggested BMR. hmmmm, maybe its not set up for individuals.

That's not true. That's now how it works. My BMR is below 1200 calories. The only reason MFP doesn't go below 1200 is because that is commonly accepted as the lowest a person can healthfully go, though some dispute that. But 1200 is enough for some people, though not for everyone.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

...because what I really want is... a STAKE

Well, there's your problem. You prefer eating wood.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat differently than the OP, but I also am a big proponent of EMTWL. I'm female, 41, 5'9", 134 lbs and lost weight eating roughly 2000 calories a day. For maintenance, I'm typically eating between 2200-2400.

Here's an example typical day. I LOVE to cook, so pretty much everything I eat is homemade, from-scratch.

Breakfast: Homemade Vanilla-Strawberry Pancakes with Real Maple Syrup, a pat of Butter and Bacon (380 calories)
    460267260_8a385586bb.jpg

Lunch: Sausage and Lentil Stew with Cornbread and a couple (not pictured) clementines (600 calories)
    3015725825_9ffd0c8018.jpg

Dinner: Blackberry-Balsamic Glazed Pork Chop with roasted garlic couscous and green beans (535 calories)
    414106100_9f80e6dcdc.jpg

These three meals add up to just over 1500 calories, which leaves me 700-900 additional calories for snacks throughout the day. That might be a cupcake or ice cream or cheese and crackers or Greek yogurt or buttered popcorn or chocolate or a glass of wine... anything really.