THIS is how hard it is to reach 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options

But none of that really looks appealing. I mean, it has nice rich vibrant colors, it's packed full of nutrients, it's probably got a stunning balance and all the right macros...

...because what I really want is... a STAKE

Well, there's your problem. You prefer eating wood.

LMAO!

firstsip- love you.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    @ UpEarly

YUMMMM!!!

if i had the skills and patience to eat like that i would too LOL!!

see it's sooo easy to eat more than 1200 nomnomnom
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    Unless I'm sick, I can't survive off 1200 cals. It makes me tired, cranky and lethargic.

However, I do find on a strict primal/paleo plan (no grains, majority of calories coming from fats) that I can find it difficult to get to my 1800 cal limit. As soon as I add back in the grains, processed foods and sugar I'm going over on a regular basis again and my appetite goes crazy. Protein and fat are definitely the key for me, and getting my carbs from veg, sweet potato, limited fruit and yoghurt.

That said, I guess that it's not for everyone, it happens to work for me due to having Crohns and celiac, so I'm not saying primal/paleo is the only way, just works for me.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

But none of that really looks appealing. I mean, it has nice rich vibrant colors, it's packed full of nutrients, it's probably got a stunning balance and all the right macros...

LMAO!

firstsip- love you.

THEN COOK FOR ME, WOMAN.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

snort
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have had surgery and I am suppose to eat 800 calories a day according to my Dr ! No one should??? I think you need to research before you start making statements for everyone. TYVM
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Your food looks Yum Steph!! Love it! I have no problem eating 18-2000 cals a day either..What was the name of the no cal syrup you used?
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    thanks, I initially lost 30 lbs. on 1200 calories, but over the summer stopped counting & gained back 5 lbs. I need to get under control again, & your meals make me realize, I need to eat more, good food, so I won't snack on junk.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I try to never eat only 1200 calories. Somedays, I do if I'm sick, though. However... I try to stick around 15 to 1600 a day... since that was my doctor's recommendation. Again, sometimes, I eat more. I love food too much to eat too little.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I used to think that I knew all of the answers for everyone, too

Then I realized that I'm the only person that lives in my body and that my job was to do what worked/works for me, not cry to the masses what they think they need to do.

Some people do, in fact, need to eat more.

Other people, in fact, need to eat less because........they are eating too much for their body.

Did you find what works for you? Great!! Stick to that!

Everyone else, however, needsto find what works for them. And that's not really going to be what worked for you.

Your food looks fantastic though, yum!
  • mausi2012
    Options
    I also am on a 1280 diet and I am on my feet for 12 hours at work and I work out twice a day. So no, I am not trying to avoid working out. I have this calorie limit because it is what works best for me.
    And yes, there are days where I go over my calories, depending on how many calories I have burned.
  • PamelaB43
    PamelaB43 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I totally agree good points! I have eaten 1200 and below and I can't even get through my workouts eating that low. It does not work.:noway: I actually try to stagger my calorie count each day and trick the body. I think that helps to change the metabolism because you are not putting the body in starvation mode. Anyway just my two cents :smile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Dang...we were so close to having a mature conversaiton. Maybe tomorrow *shrug*. Later, y'all!

fqVhf.gif
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ok, I Hate to stick my head in the lions mouth -

Annnnnnd there's really not much chance of me taking the time in the kitchen to prepare that. It's not appetizing for me, I'd rather just bake a chicken breast and steam some broccoli or green beans and force them down, because what I really want is... like, deviled eggs with a dash of paprika and some mustard in the filling, or pasta with a nice white sauce, Popcorn covered in butter, a STAKE, or pork chop.. a nice roast Ham with a honey glaze or scalloped ANYTHING. Mashed potates made with butter and cream with salt and a touch of fresh ground black pepper (even though salt is now OUT for me)

I guess my question would be, how did all of you come to hunger for the good stuff like what was posted above?

I don't see why you CAN'T have the steak or pork chop if it's not floating in a sea of butter or cream. Shoot, I made steak fajitas last night with homemade tortillas and salsa, and I'm a Midwestern girl at heart who loves her meat and potatoes- I just eat the potato baked now so I can measure out the sour cream, and I cook as often as possible to avoid mystery ingredients and guessing calories at restaurants. Deprivation will only set you up for disaster if you feel that you "can't" have something. Cut the portion sizes, add some healthy alternatives, and enjoy your steak!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat differently than the OP, but I also am a big proponent of EMTWL. I'm female, 41, 5'9", 134 lbs and lost weight eating roughly 2000 calories a day. For maintenance, I'm typically eating between 2200-2400.

Here's an example typical day. I LOVE to cook, so pretty much everything I eat is homemade, from-scratch.

Breakfast: Homemade Vanilla-Strawberry Pancakes with Real Maple Syrup, a pat of Butter and Bacon (380 calories)
    460267260_8a385586bb.jpg

Lunch: Sausage and Lentil Stew with Cornbread and a couple (not pictured) clementines (600 calories)
    3015725825_9ffd0c8018.jpg

Dinner: Blackberry-Balsamic Glazed Pork Chop with roasted garlic couscous and green beans (535 calories)
    414106100_9f80e6dcdc.jpg

These three meals add up to just over 1500 calories, which leaves me 700-900 additional calories for snacks throughout the day. That might be a cupcake or ice cream or cheese and crackers or Greek yogurt or buttered popcorn or chocolate or a glass of wine... anything really.

Now... THAT is my type of food.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I totally agree good points! I have eaten 1200 and below and I can't even get through my workouts eating that low. It does not work.:noway: I actually try to stagger my calorie count each day and trick the body. I think that helps to change the metabolism because you are not putting the body in starvation mode. Anyway just my two cents :smile:
    I'm sooooo shocked that it took 3 pages for someone to mention it. The dreaded starvation mode. Were the person's muscle mass is consumed instead of the "fuel" that the body itself stored for later use. Man, if losing weight was the same for everyone it would be easy right?
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ok, I Hate to stick my head in the lions mouth -

Annnnnnd there's really not much chance of me taking the time in the kitchen to prepare that. It's not appetizing for me, I'd rather just bake a chicken breast and steam some broccoli or green beans and force them down, because what I really want is... like, deviled eggs with a dash of paprika and some mustard in the filling, or pasta with a nice white sauce, Popcorn covered in butter, a STAKE, or pork chop.. a nice roast Ham with a honey glaze or scalloped ANYTHING. Mashed potates made with butter and cream with salt and a touch of fresh ground black pepper (even though salt is now OUT for me)

I guess my question would be, how did all of you come to hunger for the good stuff like what was posted above?

I absolutely agree.

However in answer to the question of :"how did all of you come to hunger for the good stuff like what was posted above?"

There have been studies done on exposure to junk food leading to junk food cravings. They did a study recently they took a bunch of rats with only exposure to health foods and exposed them to junk food. The result below.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-6343889.html

The foods you mention aren't completely junk food but I think the same logic applies.

Having said that, I like to eat health foods, (through training myself haha) I completely agree I don't find all the pictures exactly appetising. The ice cream looks good, The porridge looks horrific.

Also to the op I think most of us are on mfp because they don't have a problem reaching 1200kcal hehe. I know some silly people like to brag they find it difficult to reach 1200...but I don't think thats really the majority talking haha
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat differently than the OP, but I also am a big proponent of EMTWL. I'm female, 41, 5'9", 134 lbs and lost weight eating roughly 2000 calories a day. For maintenance, I'm typically eating between 2200-2400.

Here's an example typical day. I LOVE to cook, so pretty much everything I eat is homemade, from-scratch.

Breakfast: Homemade Vanilla-Strawberry Pancakes with Real Maple Syrup, a pat of Butter and Bacon (380 calories)
    460267260_8a385586bb.jpg

Lunch: Sausage and Lentil Stew with Cornbread and a couple (not pictured) clementines (600 calories)
    3015725825_9ffd0c8018.jpg

Dinner: Blackberry-Balsamic Glazed Pork Chop with roasted garlic couscous and green beans (535 calories)
    414106100_9f80e6dcdc.jpg

These three meals add up to just over 1500 calories, which leaves me 700-900 additional calories for snacks throughout the day. That might be a cupcake or ice cream or cheese and crackers or Greek yogurt or buttered popcorn or chocolate or a glass of wine... anything really.

Holy yumm. This is why I am happy to be your MFP friend (:
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    That is totally awesome! Thank You for the pix, it gave me a cpl of good ideas :)
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you could come and make my food everyday - that'd be great. Perfect amount of cals for me and everything looked delish! :drinker: