is 140 too low for a tall guy

Options

Replies

• BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My partner is 6'1.5 and weights between 155-165. He is extremely small and there is not one inch of fat on his body. 140 would be ridiculous.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and set my goal weight at 140. I have a thin build and all my extra weight seems like it went all to my stomach. I'm 170 now and after looking at others goal mine seems really low. I was at 140 before I got lazy and put on weight. Does this seem reasonable?

Sounds like that would be too skinny, even with a small build. I'm a 5'4" woman and my goal weight is 150. Have you considered weight training for burning fat? It sounds like that would be perfect for you.
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    From this girl's perspective YES! Lift some weights and get some mass on! You don't need to be hulking out or anything but I don't even weigh 140 and I'm 5'4" and a girl. Everyone has their own goals and opinion of what looks good, so if that's your thing then so be it but since you asked...I personally like muscle (on me and men).
    I've never lifted weights but that's a goal of mine to start at the beginning of the year. Don't know if I should purchase a machine or join a gym
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    From this girl's perspective YES! Lift some weights and get some mass on! You don't need to be hulking out or anything but I don't even weigh 140 and I'm 5'4" and a girl. Everyone has their own goals and opinion of what looks good, so if that's your thing then so be it but since you asked...I personally like muscle (on me and men).
    I've never lifted weights but that's a goal of mine to start at the beginning of the year. Don't know if I should purchase a machine or join a gym

Join a gym IMO.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Join a gym IMO.

I agree!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Your BMI, at 140 lb, would be about 18, which is in the "underweight" zone.

I'm 5" 11", and a skinny build. I used to be around 140 lb when I was your age. Even at my shorter height, I'd say I was too skinny then. I had no muscle - I was simply skin and bone. I wore a 28" waist pant.

I put on weight over the years, and was up to 210 lb and needing a 36" pant. I'm down to about 168 lb now, and back into a 30" pant. My nutritionist says I shouldn't lose any more weight - I'm at about the "ideal" based on BMI. I'm actually hoping to put on a few more, by bulking up. If I could get to about 175 or so, without adding any more body fat, I'd be happy :-)
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    Check this link, guy stayed the same weight but transformed his body.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804657-going-from-sh-t-to-fit
    Thanks
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and I'm heading for 180, I might go as low as 170, 140 sounds anorexic to me - I think 160 is the lowest you could be
  • youngpip
    youngpip Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I note from most of your responses that none of these people are in the same position as you but are quite happy to tell you it's too thin! :ohwell:

Well I'm 6ft 2" as well and a skinny build, I started this journey at 192 and set my goal for 170, I adjusted that slightly and it's now 165 which I hit a couple of weeks ago. That's what works for me, I want to set my target for next year to keep at that weight (or thereabouts) and bulk up muscle wise which could prove a challenge! :wink:

Do what you feel is right for you.

Edited: Forgot to add I was told by the doc that 12 stone or 168 is the ideal weight for my height.

I agree with christophenes above. I'm also 6' 2", have always had a skinny build, but found when I got into my 30s my belly started expanding and my face starting getting rounder! I started on MFP at 187lbs and am aiming for the same target as christophenes - 12 stone (168lbs). That puts me nicely in the lower-middle of the BMI range. I'm making good progress but not sure my belly will be gone when I reach my goal, so I'll need to start putting in gym time (urgh, I HATE the gym).

Everyone is different but it sounds like your frame is also skinny by nature so following a similar path may be worthwhile.

Hope it helps and best of luck :-)
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Lol. My boyfriend claims to be 140 and he's only 5'3". If you get to 140, you should totally fight. You'd be the tallest guy in your weight class!
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would suggest cutting to around 155-160 but focusing on BF % instead of a particular weight is better, and then focus on building muscle back towards 170 depending on your goal.

I started close to 170 but I'm more than half a foot shorter at 5.7. I'm maintaining 140 lbs atm with <14% BF and BMI of 22.

I've focused on agility rather than pure strength, definitely not skinny by any means. I prefer looking like Bruce Lee than Arnie. :D
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It's not too low, it depends what look you're going for!
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    Lol. My boyfriend claims to be 140 and he's only 5'3". If you get to 140, you should totally fight. You'd be the tallest guy in your weight class!
    lol
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5' 11" and his first goal is 200 pounds and, MAYBE, down to 180, but that is it.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Your BMI would only be 19, not quite underwieght as 18.5 is considered underweight, but at the same time close enough. Stick around 175.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    THAT'S WAY TOO THIN. I'm a 5'8" and weigh 142 pounds....and I'm a woman! By dieting yourself down to 140 you will be losing lean muscle mass and bone...you'll become a skinny/ fat wimpy weakling. I don't think that's the physique you're looking for. If you're concerned about your belly start lifting heavy weights!!!!! And pick a much more realistic weight goal.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    FWIW, my 16 year old son is 6'1 and weighs 144. He has some serious abs and shoulders but no pecs to speak of (gets that from his dad). He used to be skinny but started lifting and while he hasn't added much in the weight department, he looks a lot better. He also isn't finished growing either so I expect him to get bigger. His brother the swimmer is 6'2 and weighs 165 but has a little more body fat-his abs aren't as defined. When my husband graduated high school (way back when!) he was 6'3 and weighed 175 so my kids are coming by this honestly.
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    I weighed 140 lbs since the age of 15 and I was 5'11" then. I grew 3 inches up until I was 19 but somehow stayed the same weight . After 2 years of eating badly I put on 30 lbs. I don't mind the weight but doesn't look good all in my midsection
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    That sounds much too thin for someone that's 6'2. I dated a guy that was only 5'8 and weighed 135, and he looked terribly thin.
  • SpinShot
    Options
    I'm 6' 3" at 175lbs and my fat loss goal is to get to around 160lbs which is roughly 10% body fat. This is a good, lean maintainable fat level for guys. To get to single digits bf% requires a very restrictive lifestlye and you won't have much energy.

I think around 160lbs would be a healthier goal for you. My 2 cents.