Funny Thanksgiving family drama stories

Options
2»

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This was actually a Christmas story. But family drama everywhere.

Ok so my dads best friend dies on Christmas eve. My grandmother(moms mom) says "well chuck, shouldn't this be a sign you finally try to lose weight".

Between that and my "punk rock" boyfriend giving me a christmas gift of a chain to wear around my neck... yeah it was not a merry christmas.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    every year I show up and the step in-laws that talk trash behind my back have shaved heady and goatees. yeah they started doing it right after I did, so this year I grew a beard. They laughed about the beard but at Christmas they will all have beards. I already herd that they are growing them out. I'm going to shave right before the Christmas party
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My own family is pretty drama-free and the BF's family's drama this year did not involve me at all, so I mostly ignored it. But his brother's new girlfriend (who is 38 years old) showed up to a VERY casual family gathering wearing a dress appropriate for a very formal country club type event.

And it was a one-shouldered mini dress and while we ARE in Florida, it was very cold that day.

Oh yeah, and a family friend and his wife came with their 1-year-old. Mom was cold enough to wear a sweatshirt and jeans, but she dressed the baby in a short-sleeved, tiny little dress, no shoes or socks and didn't even bring warmer clothes ot a sweater for the baby.

*sigh*
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Nothing much, but my son and my husbands cousins kids were doing lots of wrestling and running. (5 year old boys). My brother in law freaked out and yelled about this. He has an older son (who is great now-he's 13) and a 5 year old girl who would cry if one of the boys bumped her. I just told him they were little boys and to suck it up, however I really wanted to tell him to dig the stick out of his *kitten*. It was great other than that :)
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Growing up in a big family, turkey was served often sicne it was cheap and could be stretched for days as casserole or soup or WTF is this? So on Thanksgiving we had a roast beef or a leg of lamb or something special. I carried on this tradition one year with my family when my children were in elementary school.

The following Monday my girls came home in tears. Their teachers had asked them to draw a pciture of their Thanksgiving dinner or write about it. Once the teachers saw the resulting work, they uniformly SCOLDED my kids for not conforming to Holiday traditions. My girls were crushed and shamed and demanded that I never serve them anything but turkey at Thanksgiving. It did not help to explain that the first Thanksgiving was probably a lobster dinner since that was local, cheap, and easy to catch. "We can't draw lobsters, Daddy."
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Mine is not really family drama but funny anyway. The company that I work for was hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for a place called Harbor House for recovering addicts. I volunteered to make green bean casserole for 80 people. I made 8 pans and had five of them lined up across the trunk of the car and three more across the back seat. Don't you know that my dog (11 month old German Shepherd) thought he was going for a ride and jumped in the back seat. Green bean casserole everywhere. Thank goodness he didn't lay down in it. He didn't even eat any of it, just stood there looking proud of himself. The portions were a little smaller but at least 5 of them survived.