Just increased water.. how long does this last??

Options
13»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Your body will start using it. It is actually amazing how much water our bodies really do need. Give it a couple of weeks - that's how long it took me. I drink 32 oz before leaving for work at 8:00 am and drink another one before lunch. Then I work on the last one between lunch and before going to bed. This way I'm not up all night :)

I'm probably just being dense, but this makes no sense to me...(that, or I don't understand physics).

Are you saying that your body starts using it but it somehow exits the body without going through the bladder? Do you notice increased perspiration? Perhaps greater respiration? If not, then where did this extra water go?

I'm sticking to my belief that excessive water consumption beyond what is needed leads to greater bladder control/training or habits (and not special magical abilities).

Adequate water consumption = good. Excessive water consumption = well, not *bad*, but not magical either.

From http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-glasses-of-water-a-day/ :

"...there is no evidence that drinking eight or more glasses prevents constipation, kidney stones, bladder cancer, urinary tract infections or that it guarantees you’ll have clear skin and a toxic-free liver."
  • faithfulheart
    Options
    Something no one else has mentioned is what the water actually does for you other than keep you hydrated. Water helps flush wastes from your body cells - nitrogen, urea, etc. - which helps balance your body pH, keeping it at a more healthy equilibrium. Not enough water causes cellular wastes to build up, which can potentially and eventually lead to such a buildup of waste that it becomes seriously unhealthy (dangerously high) and can damage your kidneys. However, the same can be said for too much water. Believe it or not, it is possible to drink too much. Excess water dilutes necessary bodily fluids and electrolytes to dangerously low levels. While it is rare for people to drink too much water, it is possible.

Also, it's a myth that water flushes fat. Ice cold water reduces your body's internal homeostatic temperature. Just like the furnace in your house, your body has an internal furnace ("temperature control" located in the hypothalamus). When the body's temperature falls below "normal", the hypothalamus signals the body to work to increase its temperature back to normal. Shivering is one of the actions performed by the body to increase temperature. Body functions also require energy; meaning it takes energy for your body to reinstate its normal temperature. Burning energy burns calories.

I've been told and have read that water increases feelings of fullness if you drink it prior to a meal. Unfortunately for me, this doesn't help too much. But I have found - at least for myself - that adding benefiber to my water helps a lot. (This is something else to be careful with though, because you shouldn't go overboard on fiber either.)

As far as increased urination, it really depends. Some people have the ability for their bladders to adjust, some don't. The most important thing to remember is to drink what you need to stay healthy.

I've included some helpful sites below, and I'm the daughter of a nurse and a medical student as well. However, the BEST person to help you determine what is healthy for you is your doctor.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
    http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/water/NU00283.html
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100823/water-may-be-a-secret-weapon-in-weight-loss
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040105/drinking-water-may-speed-weight-loss
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    For the longest time, i wouldn't drink water, even when i was pregnant. But then my ob taught me something: one glass of water for every can of soda. Well that worked until i didn't want to drink 8 glasses of water for 8 sodas, so i cut down my consumption of soda (mind you I have been addicted to diet pepsi all my life because of being a colicky baby and my mom diluted some down into a bottle in order to give me relief when medicine failed). Went into labor and delivery and was given a huge thing of water and told to drink it and was hooked up to the water solution stuff they give to people when they are dehydrated and wasn't taken off of it until the Sat after my kid was born.

I learned after that to drink water. When i went in for my check up, they said to only drink 8 glasses because after that I end up throwing up (no one knows why) but I do drink my 8 a day now, and know that if i don't, then headaches starts, my sides hurt, etc and still don't consume more then 2-4 sodas a day (huge accomplishment from 24 packs a day). I used to go a lot, but i can hold up to an hour now before going so sadly the "always going" kinda doesn't go away.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It never slowed down for me. I go quite frequently. I wonder if I have diabetes?
    NO NO! Stop wondering Pen. STOP WONDERING.
    *runs to the bathroom*
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You'll get used to over time. Try to space your water out if it's bothering you that much. I usually have 7 on cardio days and 10 on strength.

Cardio is 7 because I have to drink my 1 liter bottle full by 4pm otherwise I can't get through my hour (now up to 1.5 hour) workout without stopping to go to the bathroom lol! I have the other 3 during the workout, sometimes I'll have more.

Strength is a 10 because I usually have my full liter of water during the day (sometimes up to 2 liters). I blow through my gym water bottle once during the workout and refill before I'm done. I finish about 1.5 of my gym bottle during this workout and drink the rest afterwards.

Note: My "day" water bottle is 1 liter = 33 oz = four-8 oz cups of water. My "gym" water bottle is 28 oz = about three 8-oz cups.