If You're Going to Add Something to the Database ...

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I think half the problem is foods having different values in different countries.
    I think this is partially the case to, I try look for things with the name of my country in them if possible.

I am sick of peoples recipes to, there is a brand over here called Pams and when I search fro stuff I often get pams homemade recipes. One day I am going get angry and edit all the values for her haha
  • awesome_inferno
    awesome_inferno Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't tell me what to do!

HAHAHA! I got a good laugh out of this. Totally off topic here, but I've seen your posts in a few threads and you remind me a lot of my older brother. You even look like him in your profile pic. This comment is exactly the kind of thing he would say...

Regarding the original post, though, I don't use the public database at all. I have created my own personal database for everything I use...

@NikkiSixxGuns...Your brother looks like a fruit pie? ;)
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Sometimes, I add entries with lower-than-accurate calorie counts, or edit existing entries to lower the calorie counts? Why? It helps me keep my intake below my goal, and feel better about myself. it also prevents my friends from getting on my back about going over my calorie goals.
    Please tell me this is a joke to wind people up? Because its the stupidest thing I have ever read.

jlapey, with stuff like that I just measure how many ladlefuls there is, 1 ladle=1 serving. You could do the same with cups if you prefer.
    No need to be rude.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I add entries with lower-than-accurate calorie counts, or edit existing entries to lower the calorie counts? Why? It helps me keep my intake below my goal, and feel better about myself. it also prevents my friends from getting on my back about going over my calorie goals.
    Please tell me this is a joke to wind people up? Because its the stupidest thing I have ever read.

jlapey, with stuff like that I just measure how many ladlefuls there is, 1 ladle=1 serving. You could do the same with cups if you prefer.
    No need to be rude.
    Thanks for confirming that
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I'm more upset when people spell things incorrectly?

I cried when I started to add something that had chocolate misspelled. CRIED! Also, I'm pretty sure a half cup of egg whites has more than 6 calories.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    What bugs me more is coming across personalized ones... like "jack's shrimp stir-fry" or "lucy's 2 egg omelet". Why aren't people using the recipe function for stuff like this instead of cluttering up the database??

I've done this, but because both my husband and I use the site and when I cook it's faster for him to log if it's in the database than for him to enter the recipe in as well.

Please, find another way.

I guess you could always add it in one account, and then friends can just add the total calorie count? I guess that's not helpful if you want to track protein and carbs as well, but there's one way around it??

You can copy your friends' meals from the app, the same way you would copy a meal from your own diary to today's. Only works if you have the app, though.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Just realized you can copy your friends' meals from the website, too. Soooo, there you go.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there.
  • workitoffnow
    workitoffnow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since 90% of everything listed is wrong, I've given up using the database. I create a new food for everything I eat, using my name. BUT to prevent cluttering up the database, I do not check the box that says "Let other members use" or whatever it says. So only I can see it and no one gets annoyed.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I hate going to add a something to my diary and all I see for the nutrients is n/a

:noway:
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bellamarie, I'm kind of new to MFP and that is what I am doing too. When I search for an item and only find calories, no other nutrients, I won't use it. It took me awhile to figure out that you could see the nutritional values for the item you had checked before you actually added it to your diary. I came from the sharecare website and have printed out some of the custom foods or meals from there too.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sometimes values change on products. I had something a few weeks ago (a ready made potato gratin) and at the time the entry in the database was correct, I had it again today and the calorie values on the product have changed so it's not always user error.
    yea the labels change sometimes. not sure if they slightly change ingredients or quantity or they just mess up...
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    try to remember not everyone is from the united states and labels are different in other english-speaking countries. most of their foods have strict laws (unlike ours) so they may actually be the right numbers for them.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I agree I had this problem I thought I was eating less but I was going 200 plus over my callories I did not even know until i checked the Web
  • workitoffnow
    workitoffnow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to figure out that you could see the nutritional values for the item you had checked before you actually added it to your diary.

How do you do this?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I get a kick out of it when I see something in there that's labeled "CORRECT" or "WEBSITE" and then I look at the nutrition and it's not even remotely close. Has only calories and no fat or protein totals, has macros that add up to 5x the calories, etc.

:laugh:

Yes, I've seen these too! I had one a few days ago where they got off one line on the entries, so it said things like 400 grams of fat for one serving! :noway:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The thing that drives me up a wall is when all that is listed for serving size is in an amount (10 pieces, 1/2 cup, etc) and not a weight. I don't care if the weight is in ounces, grams, etc, I can do the conversion. But for those of us that weigh our foods, it's frustrating! If I ate 42 grams of rice, how many cups is that?

See, and those of us who don't use scales get frustrated trying to find something labeled in cups instead of grams. How many cups is 100 grams? :laugh:
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Now, if I need to enter something, I pick one of the "deleted" entries and edit it to the food I want to add to the database. Just my little part in trying to do some clean-up.

SMART!!
    I'm going to follow your lead. I did not know that someone else's data entry could be "edited".
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It took me awhile to figure out that you could see the nutritional values for the item you had checked before you actually added it to your diary.

How do you do this?

Also would like to know.
    I spend a lot of time adding, comparing, deleting, adding, comparing, deleting until I find one with the correct values for my foods.